Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Secret Ingredient Sugar Cookies ~ Our Favorite Valentine’s Day Treat


{Valentine’s Day is coming, so a short break from the Big Family Idea Bonanza Series is in order. We’ll get back to it soon, and thanks for all your terrific suggestions and helpful comments.}

They say that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. I’ve found that there’s no better time to put this into action than Valentine’s Day.

My husband doesn’t want me to spend money on gifts for him, and his idea of a romantic dinner is fixing it at home together. Not that we don’t enjoy a night out, but the togetherness is the best part!

Yeah, I’m blessed to have a husband who feels blessed when we make sugar cookies. J

 

The problem with all that is that I didn’t have a good recipe…until I shared my lament with a wonderful Titus 2 woman at church. She shared with me her amazing recipe, one that contained an ingredient I never would have imagined.

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups butter or shortening (I prefer Butter-Flavored Crisco.)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
2 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
1 box instant vanilla pudding

Directions:
Cream together butter or shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl; add to butter mixture gradually. Mix well.

Chill dough. {Be forewarned: if you use butter, don’t chill for long or the dough will be rock hard. Yep, I learned this the hard way.} Roll out on floured surface. Cut out desired shapes.


After transferring to the cookie sheet, sprinkle with colored sugar.
 

Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 8 minutes. (My oven requires only 4 minutes with Speed Bake.) To achieve softness, remove the cookies when they appear undone.

Makes 5 to 6 dozen.

Giant cookies bake for about 8 minutes.


So dust off those cookie cutters and stock up on sugar sprinkles. Frost some little cookies for your Littles, or make a giant heart with candy hearts around the outside for your man.

Bon Appétit! 








Do you have a good sugar cookie recipe? Do you like to frost cookies or sprinkle with sugar? What are your favorite Valentine’s Day treats?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Ooo! I've been looking for a sugar cookie recipe to make for my cousin's bridal shower on Saturday! I volunteered to make cookies for 60 people :) These sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe makes a LOT of cookies. Hope it all works out, Veronica. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. We love sugar cookies. I will kee this recipe to try it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can get messy, but they are so worth it. Thanks, Sara!

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! I enjoy sugar cookies as does my sweet husband :) I will have to try your recipe sometime. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Have a blessed day!


    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your baking, Stephanie. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. These look delectable! I need to try this with honey though and not sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great!! In fact, it looks a lot like a recipe I use at Valentine day. Maybe I should try to get it posted? Thanks for sharing this. I am going to Pin it on Pinterest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know where my friend got this recipe, so I suppose they could be the same! Thanks for the link-up, Judith, and thanks for pinning!

      Delete
  6. Yum! My daughters love sprinkles...it's "fancy!" But I prefer a nice iced sugar cookie. We usually compromise and have both.

    Looks delicious! I've never made mine with vanilla pudding.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the secret ingredient, Keri -- vanilla pudding. At least, I'd never heard of it. Thanks for visiting. You always leave great comments!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a neat recipe! I am pinning it. I found you through raising homemakers & I'm a HS momma too =)
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. Homeschooling is the best!

      Delete
  8. Ooooh, I love sugar cookies! Yours look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom always made heart-shaped sugar cookies for Valentine's Day. :) Her secret ingredient was almond extract--in both the cookies and the frosting. SO good! :) I think I might have to make some myself this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your baking! Perhaps it will be a stress-reliever from those college classes? Thanks for taking some time out of your schedule to visit, Jaimie!

      Delete
  10. We love sugar cookies here. I look forward to trying this recipe. :-) Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I hope you will be able to join us again next week. Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it, Lisa, and thanks for hosting the link-up!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)