Monday, February 25, 2013

Ten Reasons to Shop a Wholesale Club ~ Big Family Idea Bonanza Series

Many people balk at the idea of shopping some place where you have to pay to be a member. I know it doesn’t make sense ~ pay money to save money. It seems to go against our frugal natures. But in the case of Sam’s Club, we definitely save our $40 annual member fee in just one shopping trip.


Here are just a few reasons why. {I’ve saved my two favorite reasons for last.}
  1. The club brand is high quality for a lower price. We buy Members Mark toilet tissue – paper towels (both products are thick and don’t shred) – laundry detergent. A five-pound bag of fancy shredded Co-Jack cheese is about $12. At home, we repackage it into sandwich baggies and freeze it.
  2. Top-notch produce. We get six large colored bell peppers for about $6.00. We have had pineapple so sweet that it reminds us of our honeymoon in Hawaii. We have never had problems with spoilage like we have with other grocery stores.
  3. Number 10 size cans for terrific prices. We buy a 101 ounce can of Del Monte cut green beans for $3.88. At this point in life, that size can will feed us at least twice. When we open a new can, I just put the unused half in a large Pyrex in the garage refrigerator. We consume that within the week.
  4. Large sizes of spices and lower costs. I get 18 ounces of cinnamon for $4.58.
  5. It’s easier to buy larger packages than many small cans or boxes. It’s less to carry in and makes the work load easier for the children.
  6. Two aisles of Christmas toys starting in November. These selections are usually educational and appropriate. They are also typically at least ten dollars less than Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us. Books and DVDs are also significantly reduced.
  7. Less expensive gas – at least five cents less than other stations, usually more. I know this doesn’t sound like much, but when you have a 16-gallon tank to fill (larger with a big van or SUV) two times each week or more, it adds up.
  8. Discounts on travel. A few years ago we rented a Dodge Caravan for a 17-day vacation. Our rental fee was around $700 for the entire 17 days.
  9. The snack bar. It’s not much on ambiance, but it’s inexpensive and tasty. They have the best Nathan’s hot dogs, soft pretzels, and pizza anywhere. They also have refillable drinks for 87 cents, including Gold Peak tea. My favorite! We can feed the family for less than $15. Children get through shopping more easily with full tummies and a walk back for a drink refill now and then.
  10. With almost every shopping trip, we either see another large family with whom we share smiles or someone compliments us on our family. It’s always a boost to go someplace where you’re encouraged.







Do you shop at a wholesale club? Why or why not? What do you like best about it?


Other posts in this series ~




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord


Pin It!

35 comments:

  1. No, I go every week to the store on Wednesday. It is ten minutes by car. And I buy the meals for the week and all the other things we need that week. I love shopping in the early morning and I like the friendly cashiers. It takes three quarters in the week and I enjoy this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good time, especially the friendly cashiers. :) So glad to see you back here, Jedidja.

      Delete
  2. We have a membership for Sam's but it's over an hour drive away. By the time you pay for gas, you have paid for the price difference in the local store. :) It's a little disappointing, but we get over it. I try to do my shopping once a week. I also started ordering bulk through Amazon because places like Azure Standard don't reach Virginia. I cook from scratch and don't buy convenience foods. It's a sight watching me shop in the market. Yesterday, my 12 year old son was walking behind asking why we can't get this or that or the other thing. I kept saying, "It's made with high fructose. It's made with genetically modified soy...." He finally said, "Can't we just eat something junky once in a while?" I laughed and said, "NO".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you on the distance. If ours was that far away, we wouldn't get there too often either. I hope my post didn't communicate that we buy a ton of convenience foods. We buy a lot of raw ingredients there as well, they just didn't make it into the picture my husband set up for me. :) And, as with every store, you have to be careful what you buy. For example, we don't buy our meat there. We buy in bulk from a friend who raises her own without steroids or all that icky stuff. With all the weird additives, etc., you definitely have to be careful.

      Delete
  3. I wish we had a Sams close to us! The closest is about 2 1/2 hours away. And I love what you said about people complimenting you on your big family - that happens to me when I take the children shopping with me in the mornings, when there is no other children around, and just grandmas and grandpas shopping. :) Its like I can see it on their faces - they are remembering the good old days when everyone had a 'large family'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the grandmas and the grandpas! They love to say that they were one of seven or one of ten or one of twelve. In many ways, those were "the good old days." Thanks, Kayla!

      Delete
  4. I have had a $35 business membership to Sam's through our church for quite a few years now. I do very little grocery/household shopping there because I'm not really into buying bulk, but they have the most amazing photo card prices anywhere. Almost every Christmas I will buy 100 photo cards with gold foil-lined envelops for $25. They have a huge assortment of sizes and are very classy, fun cards. I upload the photos into the card online, put my message and color just like I want it and 24 hours later I can stop in and pick up my beautiful cards! They typically have the best gas prices in our area, as well. And I'm blessed to live about 1/2 mile from Sams. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another excellent reason, Stephanie -- photo prices. We get ours there as well. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I agree with you. And, surprisingly, even though it's now just the 2 of us, we've found it profitable to maintain our membership because electronics, tires, lawn care, computer paper products, and other things are considerably less. They also have an excellent return policy, and Costco carries a lot of organic foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many more than just ten reasons, Gail, and you mentioned several more. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I go back and forth on the Sams Club thing. Sometimes I think it's a good deal, then I'll find myself spending on something I wouldn't normally buy. If my self-control were stronger... but you have made some excellent points about the produce and such.

    Thanks for following me at Harvest Lane Cottage.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do need to be careful. Sam's Club also has clothing, serving dishes, etc. so it's easy to get caught up in the "extras." Thanks for the reminder, Laura.

      Delete
  7. I've had my doubts but then all it takes is one trip to Costco and I know why we belong. The gas is a big savings for us and one of the main reasons. We are fortunate that we can save gas in another way too because we live 2 blocks from Costco and many times I put the children in the double stroller and walk over for something :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to save gas, Sandy, and get some exercise and fresh air at the same time. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I agree with you! Unfortunately, we are way too far from those stores now and I miss them so much! We are having to rely on our garden produce and goat's milk which is pretty affordable too :) But I do miss those isles full of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden produce is fantastic! Another way to reduce spending and be sure you're getting good food. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Love your list! And I also agree... we shop Sam's Club at least once a month. Love their Green Tea. :)

    Stopped over from Angie's Top Ten Tuesday from http://gricefullyhomeschooling.com/. Your newest follower on GFC. Can't wait to read more.

    ~ Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed reading through your series. Great tips! We live an hour away from the big-bulk store, and so have not kept up a membership. But with the rise in grocery prices, I'm watching closely and it just might pay for me to do it again. I'll be doing the math again, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An hour is quite a way to travel, especially with gas prices going up as well. But it would be worth comparing prices. Way to keep your eye on it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. Visiting from Thriving Thursdays.... We frequent Sams, even though it seems that we spend more there... we don't have to return but once or twice a month. I am very blessed because part of my job is to do employee lunches/snacks so I do not have to pay for my membership, they provide it for me! Thanks for sharing this....some of the things on your list I have never really thought of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great deal, Piper - even more savings. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  12. We love our Costco membership! I also find them to be my go-to resource for kids' pajamas and church/holiday dresses for my girls (they have the most stunning formal dresses for just $17.99 around the Christmas season and again around Easter). We've even purchased tires from them! Their produce is just of the absolute best quality and we go through a LOT of produce.

    In Christ,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, Melissa! I have found some very cute clothes at Sam's, especially seasonal children's, and the prices are incredible. Thanks for mentioning that benefit!

      Delete
  13. I honestly just renewed our membership this week after a year of not going. As I am the one who does the bulk of the grocery shopping I personally find it better to go there. I get it in bulk and we are not running out every week it seems :) Paper products, meat and produce are my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- I love buying in quantities that don't disappear the day after I bring them home. Enjoy your shopping!

      Delete
  14. I would definitely be one of those commenting on how you are blessed to have a large family, lol! I have always wanted a large family.

    I love Sam's Club and Costco. I love that you mentioned the eating bar, because it really is a good deal. My oldest works near a Costco so I will sometimes meet him there for lunch.

    I also find that we, too, have saved a ton of money by shopping there. I love getting a good deal.

    I would love to have you link this up to my "Making Your Home Sing Monday" meme on Monday if you'd like to join us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I'll check out your link-up!

      Delete
    2. I am so happy that you joined us today! I know others will be blessed by your post as well. I know that I, for one, love reading about ways to save money and I know I'm not alone. And of course, I love me some Costco and Sam's Club, lol!

      The funny thing is that my hubby mentioned going to Sam's Club in a sermon illustration yesterday, and one of the gals works at Costco so she jokingly gave him a bad time about NOT mentioning Costco, lol!

      Thank you for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today!

      Delete
    3. I forgot to add that if you link up next week, I'd love it if you'd put a link back to my blog! Thank you! :)

      Delete
    4. I wanted to add your button to my blog but got interrupted and haven't been back to it. Coming soon! Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing this. If we end up having a large family, I'm sure we will be shopping in bulk as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been shopping at Sam's Club for about 18 years (if I am hanging this memory on the right baby ;-) and the list is endless as are the savings. I am linked up right after you over at Momstheword. It is getting so that when I visit the blogger linking up before me it is someone who links over at WholeHearted Home also, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Judith! You have a great link-up! :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)