Friday, March 22, 2013

The One Where We Get Back to Bookwork after Vacation ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Spring! {Although it doesn’t look like it here. Maybe I said it was winter’s last hurrah too soon?}


In our homeschool this week…

Sometimes addition facts can be helped along with manipulatives. J


Arithmetic with Skittles! Or Cheerios or Chex or carrots or snap peas….


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Field trips can make all the difference! After returning home from our Spring break vacation at SeaWorld, the 9yo was ecstatic to be learning about the octopus.

While I’m washing dishes ~ “Hey, Mommy, did you know the octopus changes color when it’s threatened?”

While I’m working with the 7yo ~ “Mommy, I just read that the octopus uses jet propulsion to get away from predators.”

While I’m in the bathroom, yelling through the door ~ “Mommy, some octopuses are as small as a dime!”


My favorite thing this week was…

Sleeping again in my Select Comfort bed with cozy flannel sheets after a week of sleeping on a hard hotel mattress. Oh, girlfriends, it was soooo difficult to get going into our homeschool routine again.


What’s working/not working for us…

This cute book report form I found at B. Nute Productions



It’s free! I liked it so much I pinned it for future reference.


We’re looking forward to…

A professional basketball game – the Indiana Pacers – Friday night. A fundraiser at my husband’s work allowed us to buy special passes for “Family Night” at a greatly discounted rate. It covers admission, a hot dog and drink, and a tee-shirt for everyone. We don’t normally follow sports, but the rate was so great that we thought it would be an interesting experience for the children.

And, as things often work out, it’s tied into our homeschool.

The 7yo was reading Slam & Dunk and the Big Game from her Hooked on Phonics curriculum this week, and the pictures prompted some discussion about the rules of basketball, scoring, and even the parts of the basket {net, backboard, etc.}.


Things I’m working on…

Summer clothes for the girls. They’re growing so fast I can’t keep up. I’m thinking of altering a few things for the youngest. Perhaps sewing a bit for the older two. Definitely shopping the thrift stores. Blog posts coming soon. {I think! Maybe. Well, we’ll see how soon I get everything done….}


On the blog this week…



Have a terrific weekend!








How was your week?


Only today and tomorrow left for the free shipping sale at Lilla Rose! On orders over $20.







~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life Womanhoodwithpurpose http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I love the edible manipulatives (I've used that and it works great!) and I love how our children blurt out their wonderful newfound knowledge at strange unpredictable times! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning is wonderful, no matter when it happens! Thanks for commenting, Jennifer.

      Delete
  2. This week has been so crazy with appointments and such, that I just didn't school this week. The kids have worked in the yard with Dad.

    I find it fun to watch my kids want to look something up to learn more about it. Lately, it's been about chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning about chickens sounds useful -- hands-on schooling! Thanks, as always, for visiting, Rachel. Love hearing more about your family!

      Delete
  3. Good luck getting all that sewing and thrift store shopping done. I cannot sew so I'd be the one raking through the racks of clothes at the store. I hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing at HammockTracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left it a little late, at least for Easter, so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.... Thanks for the link-up, Savannah!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful week! I love it when the kids get into their work. That octopus conversation sounds like the one we had here about spider. I hate spiders, but my son was fascinated with his Apologia lesson ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what we'll endure when a child is interested in something, isn't it? Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Skittles are awesome for Math! We've also used chocolate chips, Cheerios (although he's not as excited about them) and even jellybeans, but NOT all his math gets edibles! LOL

    I pinned that same Book Report! I like that it's simple and doable even for a younger reader!

    And we have that same Hooked on Phonics set! My youngest doesn't want to use it anymore, but I'm hanging on JIC. LOL

    Seaworld! Jealous! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jellybeans would be perfect for this time of year. Thanks for the great suggestions!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your book report find! I will soon be putting it to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all thought it was so cute even the seventh grader wanted to use it. Glad you found it helpful, Emmalee.

      Delete
  7. That book report form looks really cute. My youngest has trouble writing. I think this may work for him. That is so cute about your 9 year old reading up on octopuses! :) How fun. I hope you have a great week!

    Lynn
    Suburban Farm Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Lynn. My beginning writers have always flipped out when they're supposed to string a couple of sentences into a paragraph. A cute form makes it all easier. Hope he likes it, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. We often use edible manipulatives: m&ms, chocolate chips, marshmallows, raisins, goldfish crackers, cheerios, etc. Every lesson is started with a "I get to eat this when we're done, right?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - what a great idea!!! I could do color matching this way. Thank you for an awesome idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful idea, Rosilind. Could he get all the colors matched up before he eats them all, though? :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing that book report form. That's really cute and simple. I'm going to use that!
    We've been using http://www.homeschoolliterature.com/
    They have literature and stories about homeschoolers. They also have a book club with study guides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Janet. It looks like a great site. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)