Friday, March 29, 2013

“Mom, Can I Do Extra School?” ~ Our Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Easter!

In our homeschool this week…

Snow day on Monday! We all know people who think that homeschoolers aren’t socialized and don’t know how to get along with others.

I present to you Exhibit A.

The 9yo submitted to being buried in the snow, despite his older sister wielding the shovel. {Note: No Carvers were harmed in the taking of these pictures.}




And since this snow was close to Easter, the children made a bunny.


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

When your children want to do extra work, let them! Don’t even hesitate!

The 13yo ~ “Mom, I know you wanted me to write the research paper in language on creationism and evolution, but I really want to do a lapbook too. Can I do that also?”

Me, turning cartwheels ecstatically ~ “Honey, sweetie pie, darlin’, you don’t ever have to ask if you can do a lapbook!”

Yeah, kind of like that….
{A work in progress.}

Later that same day….

The 9yo ~ “Mommy, I’m supposed to write a two-paragraph astronomy report for science. Can I do a lapbook instead?”

Me, cautiously ~ “Sure, but it still needs to contain the same amount of information. Let’s say ten facts? Plus the pictures and drawings and neat little doo-dads.”

The 9yo ~ “Okay.”

Me, dizzy from cartwheels so just jumping up and down ~ “Okay!”


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Last week, I said we were looking forward to going to a professional basketball game. I was a bit cautious in my enthusiasm, since events like that can be breeding grounds for alcohol consumption, foul language, and attitudes I’d rather my children not imitate.

However, we were pleasantly surprised at the family-friendly atmosphere. I think I only saw three people drinking the entire night (I didn't think that was very many in a stadium full of fans), and I never heard a bit of profanity.

Lesson learned? Go on Family Night. 
{The nosebleed section!}



We’re looking forward to…

Our traditional Easter night viewing of The Passion of the Christ. {Adults only!}


Things I’m working on…

Polishing up a couple of children’s books I’ve written for the Littles and wondering if I should self-publish them as e-books. Perhaps for free on the blog? Thoughts, anyone?


On the blog this week…

Ten Tips for Traveling with Children. Summer vacation is coming. Are you prepared?

Craftilicious Links for Easter. I’m craft-challenged, so I compiled a list of links for your Spring-y inspiration.


I’m reading…

iPad: The Missing Manual. I know there is so much more I can do with it besides FB, e-mail, and Evernote.


I’m grateful for…

A God who sent His Son for me, the Son who was willing to endure the cross, and the resurrection we celebrate this Easter Sunday!


I’m praying for…

My children to grasp fully the meaning of Easter Sunday and to choose to live their lives based on and resting in that meaning.








How was your week? What are your Easter plans?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. LOVE the snow bunny!!

    Hi friends,

    OK I have been in a blogger nightmare the last few days. My .com was high jacked and I have been trying to work out all the kinks so
    Google friends connect and feeds will still work. I think I did it!!!!

    Even if you already re subscribed once IT IS NOT WORKING. I had to adjust some sight settings and you need to do it again.

    Anyway I want to ask once more time that you would visit my new URL and resubscribe through which ever reader you uses.

    http://teshastreasures.blogspot.com/

    This is the instructions to resubscribe through Google friends Connect

    Go to my new address http://teshastreasures.blogspot.com/

    Go to Google friends connect and sigh in,
    Then go to options, sight settings hit stop following this blog (on the right hand side)
    Next refresh the page
    last re-follow the blog


    I am so sorry for the hassle. I love the relationships we have built through the internet let keep them going!
    Thank you so much for your support and understanding!
    Tesha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology can be so difficult. Sorry for your hassles, Tesha, but thanks for letting us know.

      Delete
  2. oh, the children's books sound so fun... yes, self publish...give one away for FREE as incentive to possible buyers and sell the rest...make a little money on the side, Sister! I would love to read them... I love stories for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Tereza! Any idea on HOW to self-publish? :)

      Delete
  3. Why don't you try out a book or two for free on the blog, ask for feedback, and use that as a springboard for potentially making a little profit off of others as e-books? I'm looking forward to reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kindness, Juf. I think that's what I'll do as soon as I can figure out HOW to self-publish. Any suggestions on that? :)

      Delete
  4. Your kids sound great! Mine don't even ask to do extra work...they ask if they can stop with what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was unusual, Rachel. Notice the cartwheels? :) I think it was because they like the artsy part of lapbooks.

      Delete
  5. Great lapbook -- and LOVE the snow Easter bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! Have a wonderful Easter!

      Delete
  6. Wow! They asked for more work? Huh. :wink: I've experienced that around here, hm, once? twice? It's really kinda cool! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an impressive snow bunny. Ours was not quite as big, but we had just one child and one mommy building during the snow storm. It snowed ALL day!

    I'm impressed they asked for more work! That rarely happens, and twice for you? Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Daddy out there did most of the rolling! :) Thanks for visiting, Christy. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. I love the snow bunny, Meghan! And HOW cool your children were so keen to make lapbooks - I can just imagine your glee! :-D

    Lucinda (visiting via Hammock Tracks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucinda! So glad to have you here!

      Delete
  9. How clever...an Easter bunny snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that is the first snowbunny I have ever seen in my life, lol!

    Love the lapbooks, what a fun way to present all their information! Very visual. So glad they had fun with it.

    Looks like you had a good time on family night too! Thanks so much for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good week, Nan. Thanks so much for hosting the link-up!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)