Monday, April 29, 2013

One Daughter’s Modest Monday ~ Who Wears It First?

A couple of weeks ago the 13yo, the 11yo, and I were huddled in the girls closet, shoulder to shoulder J, looking at various pieces we had picked up recently at thrift stores. Here’s basically how it went that Saturday evening.

The 11yo, holding up a light green peasant skirt ~ “Can I wear this skirt tomorrow? What goes with it?”

Me ~ “Well, white goes with anything. You have that white shrug. Put a white shirt underneath.”

The 11yo ~ “Yeah. I guess so.” *sigh*

Me, an idea budding ~ “Wait a minute. What about that checked shirt we got a while ago that I haven’t seen anybody wear yet? Where is it?”

The 13yo, turning to retrieve said shirt from her clothing area ~ “You mean this one?”

Me, grasping the door frame to keep from getting knocked over by the 13yo as she turns in the tight quarters ~ “Yes! Let’s see. Get it in the light! Do the greens match?”

The 11yo, panting with excitement ~ “It’s perfect!”

The 13yo ~ “It’s mine!”

Me, rolling eyes and realizing that the moment of girls arguing over clothes that I’ve dreaded has finally arrived ~ “Let’s just look at it first. Yes, the greens match perfectly. You could put a white shirt underneath and leave it hang open or just button a couple of buttons and put a belt around your waist.”

The 11yo ~ “A belt?” *scrunches nose*

Me ~ “Yeah, just like Jennae’s mother wears. It looks great on her.”

The 11yo ~ “Oh…yeah!” *smiles mischievously* “Can I wear it tomorrow?”

The 13yo ~ “It’s my shirt.”

The 11yo ~ “But it’s my skirt.” *turning to me with big, goopy smile* “Please, Mommy….”

Me, to the slightly pouting 13yo ~ “You can wear that blue outfit you like so much tomorrow. Laura can wear this now, and you can wear it another time. It’s called sharing.”

The 13yo ~ “Fine. My outfit’s better anyway.” *smirk*

Me ~ Lord, help me through these teen years!



Green peasant skirt ~ thrift store

Green checked shirt ~ thrift store

White short-sleeve shirt ~ hand-me-down from 13yo

White belt ~ hand-me-down from me {Yes, I could get that around my waist when we were newlyweds. *sigh*}

White shoes ~ Payless

White ruffle socks ~ Target


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Tails Up with the Music Lover clip

{Note: No children were harmed or even truly disgruntled in the division of clothing depicted in this blog post. J}








Do your daughters share their clothing? Did you share clothing with your mother or sisters?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. My sisters and I had our fair share of fights over clothes, but we definitely shared. In fact, we're all in our 20's now and still share clothes from time to time. :) I hope my daughters will as they grow up, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun, Polly, to share clothes still with grown sisters! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. That's funny! My oldest just turned 15 and the next oldest will be a teen way after my oldest is an adult. Hah! I do understand. I get a lot of this sort of stuff already from my oldest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The styles will probably change and the younger won't want to wear the older's hand-me-downs.... That's another struggle entirely! :)

      Delete
  3. I have twins daughters and one 2 years younger and they are stair-stepped in size. My twins share a wardrobe with things being passed down to the youngest, although things get worn by all of them now and then.

    I never shared with my mother as we are different sizes, and no sister at all. I did share with college roommates and liked doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine has twins, and she said that they have to share their favorite outfits as well. Love the idea of sharing with college roommates! Wish I had thought of that all those years ago!

      Delete
  4. Mine could share clothing, but they don't unless one is just really needing something that the other happens to have. They each have their own styles, for the most part. My sisters and I were the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the difficulty with my mom and me. I just did not share her style at all. :) Probably makes it easier that way, Val?

      Delete
  5. My two sisters and I share clothes all the time. =) We are all about the same size. I love it, because it practically doubles my wardrobe options. Yes -- we have fights about clothes sometimes, but usually we try to work it out so that everyone is happy. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Hannah -- doubles your clothes! Now I really, really wish I had a sister.... Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. My sister and I, who are 15 months apart, often had squabbles over sharing clothes so I know what you mean. Your daughter's hair is really put up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. Her hair doesn't hold curl well at all, so I had to snap the picture before it all drooped!

      Delete
  7. Very rarely do I share clothes with my sisters (I have 5 sisters). Ordinarily we stick to our own things, though occasionally we will borrow something from each other or our mom. We do hand things down though... or up as the case may be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a new phrase -- a hand-me-up! Whatever works. Thanks, Justine.

      Delete
  8. The adventures of parenting!! Thanks for sharing this truthful moment over at WholeHearted Home. It is encouraging to mothers who might otherwise think they are the only one that has these things happen. It is a wonderful opportunity to teach godly character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith, for your encouraging words. I so much appreciate your visits!

      Delete
  9. Oh my...my girls are 9 years apart. Never had this issue. Ha! Now though they trade back and forth to stretch their wardrobes. In fact I got a call from the ball field today saying, "Mom, bring me a couple of Em's shirts. I wore a sweatshirt and I'm getting hot." The difference is they are 20 and 29 so there's no fighting! Love, love the music clip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're starting to see that point, Pamela, about expanding their wardrobes. Maybe I need to tell them a bit more often how much I always wanted a sister I could share clothes with.... :-) Thanks so much for hosting your link-up!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)