Friday, April 5, 2013

Where I Have a Melt Down, Just Like That Crayon in the Dryer ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Are you glad it's Friday?

In my life this week…

Sunday {Easter} ~ We took naps on Sunday, but with all of our holiday activity, they were shorted. Then, Sunday evening, we stayed up too late watching The Passion of the Christ. I went to bed emotionally exhausted. Not a good way to start the week.

Monday ~ We rushed through some school and took more in the van to go to my mother’s house for the afternoon and evening. My brother and his family were visiting from their home over three hours away. It was a good visit, but it lasted later than we had anticipated, then we had an hour drive home. The children were already tired when they woke up Tuesday morning.

Ice cream in Grandma's cute little dishes.

Busy boy.

Tuesday ~ We were determined to catch up from Monday and get ahead for Wednesday (when we were heading out again), plus everyone was tired from a late Monday night. We were about as relaxed as a pressure cooker. Three loads of laundry had piled up, and The Disaster happened in the dryer in the second load. The 2yo had stuck an orange crayon in his pocket. Do you know what happens when a crayon goes through a hot dryer? Mama spends an extra hour in the laundry room specially treating each individual orange spot and then running the entire load again…and again.

Wednesday ~ We use a lot of Abeka materials in our homeschool, and Abeka gives discounts if you order at one of their materials displays. So we headed to the closest one, about 40 minutes north of our home. Again, more school in the van. And why not make a fun day of it and eat out for lunch? Perhaps pizza at Sam’s Club, since we were also out of milk, was not the best idea. Do you know how long it takes a pizza to bake? Apparently it's too long for two antsy little boys. Thank God for refreshment, not to mention quiet, at Wednesday evening prayer meeting.

We took pictures at the materials display for the next Modest Monday.
Guess who wanted to get in on the action?

Thursday ~ We decided to try something new, which I can’t wait to tell you about once I get the post written. But trial runs are usually fraught with kinks that still need to be ironed out. Yeah.

We like getting out, but perhaps we need to pace ourselves better.

*sigh*


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

By Tuesday evening, I knew I needed to employ some coping mechanisms or I would end up a pile of goo like that orange crayon.

I put my Bible on the kitchen counter and read as I stirred supper. I left it there throughout Wednesday and Thursday.



We played some instrumental music during the school day, like Mendelssohn, the soundtrack from Pride & Prejudice, and quiet worship music.

I let the littlest boys watch Baby Einstein or Classical Baby when I was needed in five different places at once.

I counted my blessings, soaked up the warm sunshine and the cool breeze when we were outside, and cleared off the kitchen countertops. Okay, the clear kitchen countertop didn’t last long, but it made me feel better for a little while.


A verse to share…

“As you do not know what is the way of the wind, Or how the bones grow in the womb of her who is with child, So you do not know the works of God who makes everything. In the morning sow your seed, And in the evening do not withhold your hand; For you do not know which will prosper, Either this or that, Or whether both alike will be good.” {Ecclesiastes 11:5-6}


I am inspired by…

People who post true-to-life pictures of their not-perfectly-picked-up homes and their mountains of laundry and their kitchen counters with stuff all over them. Thank you for helping me know that we don’t all live in homes that could be featured on Houzz.


On the blog this week…

My Daughters’ Modest Monday. My first Modest Monday post, except I featured my daughters and not myself.

How to Make a Girls Petticoat with Netting. My trial-and-error attempt at a poofy slip for the 7yo who had to wear a hand-me-down dress for Easter.


I’m grateful for…

This community of homeschooling bloggers! I know I’m new here, and I’m doing my best to find everyone’s blog and keep up with you and comment. We all struggle with time. But I really look forward to Fridays when I can find encouragement by reading what you all have done with your week. Can I get an amen, sisters?!








How was your week? What are your coping mechanisms when you feel a meltdown coming on? How do you prevent one?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Oh, my! What a week, huh? Will you catch up on rest this weekend? But, you know, not all was challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think our difficult week did stem from just being plain tired. Hoping to sleep in a bit tomorrow and have an amazingly long nap on Sunday. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. The homeschool blogging community is a lovely place, isn't it? I've learned so much from other blogging moms. And like your week, mine was busier than usual and I didn't handle it so well. Those days I start it in the Bible go soooo much smoother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see a lot of similarities in our weeks. :) I'm grateful for the encouragement in this community today. So glad to see you here!

      Delete
  3. I love you so much! I live in one of those homes that isn't Pinterest-perfect, which makes me hesitate to share pictures. We love Sam's deli for a lunch "out" because it's so inexpensive, and we school "on the go" a lot too! Thanks for being real about your week.

    My kids and I have been sick all week, so we have had an interesting week too. I'm thankful for homeschooling's flexibility!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks, Jennifer! Amen on the flexibility. Not sure where I would be without that! So glad you stopped and commented!

      Delete
  4. Hello, Meghan- nice to meet you :) I'm stopping by from WUHS. Loved that you shared a verse; thank you. I am very grateful I've never had a crayon in the dryer episode. Very thankful.
    And yes! aren't true to life photos wonderful.
    Have a wonderful week. May you get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest coming this weekend, I think! Most of the crayon came out with the stain treatment, but it took a while to find every spot. One of these days I'm going to look back at it and laugh...maybe... :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Our week was crazy too. WE prepared and worked on 3 science projects for our science fair that happened today. There are piles of laundry to do and the house is nasty. Tomorrow we start cleaning... kitchen first. WE did a cell cake for the science fair and make our own marshmallow fondant. Can you see how bad the mess is in your head? I am glad it is over, but it was a success and I had never done a science fair before (not even as a kid) so I enjoyed it as much as the kid. Blog post coming on it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cell cake sounds COOL! But yes, I can visualize the mess. :) Looking forward to your post, Tereza.

      Delete
  6. What a week! I like your adaptations, though. :-) Sometimes we all have weeks like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're resting this weekend, and I'm already looking forward to next week. Every day is another opportunity. Thanks so much for visiting, Leah, and have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  7. I was SO inspired by your post! You kept your cool and turned to the Lord and His Word. Wow. What a great idea to keep the Bible out where you could see it and get comforted. I hear you about the "real" pictures. In many of mine, one can see a trash bag in the background or a hamper full of clothes and that is our real life. I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks so much for visiting mine and for your kind comments. Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I LOVE the pictures you post. Your children always look thrilled to be doing whatever they're doing! Thank you so much for your comment. Many blessings to you, too!

      Delete
  8. I think I have a lot of weeks such as yours. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH we washed an orange crayon recently, too. It was oh so disastrous and I never got all the stains out. Thanks for sharing on HammockTracks, Meghan. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with orange crayons? :) There are a few items I'm still trying to get clean. Thanks for hosting the link-up, Savannah.

      Delete
  10. This post brought back memories of my days as a homeschooling Mama (I graduated both my sons from homeschooling). I truly miss even those crazy days when I didn't know if I was coming or going! lol I also loved the outfits you shared that you got for your children. They all look so nice and I love how your daughter's hair are done. So cute! I really need to get myself some of those flexi-clips!! I'm so glad I found your blog - I will be back!

    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to stay focused, but then I remember the words of many mothers like you who say they miss those crazy days. So I consciously enjoy the little moments. Right now, my 2yo wants to tell me a knock-knock joke. Gotta go! Thanks so much for commenting, Julie!

      And yes, I LOVE those flexi clips. They are sanity-savers!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)