Friday, April 19, 2013

Six Reasons to Make a Church Convention a Homeschool Field Trip ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Are you glad it’s the weekend?

In our homeschool this week…

After months of winter inactivity, it seems that spring brings an over-abundance of field trips and happenings. 
We’ve been doubling-up so that we don’t miss lessons when we’re gone.

This week, we attended our church's convention on Wednesday. It’s actually a three-day extravaganza of special services, amazing music, children’s services, Bible studies, women’s groups, exhibit hall tables filled with books and music CDs and free candy for the children, fellowship with others we don’t see often, rides up and down the escalators at the convention center, ice cream at McDonald’s, diaper changes in a remote corner, and checking out the fashions.
 
Overlooking the city from the parking garage. 

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…


Many of us incorporate Bible into our homeschool, even as one of our subjects. That is one of the most wonderful benefits of homeschooling! So why not make a church convention a homeschool field trip?


{Good} Socialization. I dread even mentioning that word, especially with the debate that swirls around it. But it is good for our children to be around like-minded children sometimes. “The righteous should choose his friends carefully, for the way of the wicked leads them astray.” {Proverbs 12:26} Even if it's just walking through the lobby and seeing others dressed as we are dressed, it can be a huge boon to our children's morale.

Community. We've only been attending this convention and been a part of this greater denomination for ten years, but we know that's where God wants us. Everyone wants to belong to something, especially children. Our children see that their parents belong and, consequently, that they belong.

Navigating downtown to find McDonald's. Aww....

Emphasizing the importance of faith. Dad takes a day off work {and his time off is extremely limited!}, we get up early, we dress up, we drive a couple of hours, all to attend special services and fellowship with like-minded believers. We're showing our children that our faith is worth the effort. {And yes, the girls are wearing their Easter dresses made from that one-hour maxi dress pattern!}

Bible College previews. We don't really know yet what The Lord wants for our children with regard to college. And, thankfully, we have a few years. But all the Bible colleges within our church affiliation are represented at our convention. The students are well-mannered and clean-cut. For our older children who are watching others, it gives them an option other than a state university where there is often more partying than studying.

The 7yo was sooo tired by this time in the evening.

Music. We don't have the money to take our children to the symphony (although I'm praying about that). But the above-mentioned Bible colleges bring out their choirs and orchestras in full force. Our children can see the strings, the woodwinds, the conductor, and all the music is Christ-focused.

Solid Bible teaching. Our children heard the Word preached not just by pastors, but also by missionaries, music ministers, school leaders, and even new converts.

The end of the night, and I was as worn out as the baby. Every moment was worth it, though.


People we’re seeing…and people who are seeing us…

Are you at that stage where your oldest daughter is growing up and certain others are beginning to notice?

Yeah, we’re there. *sigh*

So my husband and I were on the lookout at our church convention to see what young men might be noticing our oldest daughter, dreading that possibility and yet realizing that it’s never too early to survey the crowd.

A group of young teen boys was hanging around the bottom of the escalator, smiling and joking with each other…and checking out the girls. They looked over each girl that got on the escalator and then, with some, followed them up to the next level. The girl or girls would go on, and the boys would return on the down escalator to begin the process again.

While I was in another service, my husband led our children onto the escalator to come up to meet me. My oldest got on last. Heavy shoes clomped onto the escalator behind our family. He spun around, his Stern Father look plastered on his face, and found a group of young teen boys suddenly interested in their shoes, the goldfish in the pond below, even the people behind them.

So, what can I say? A young man from a convention like that will probably…maybe…someday become a part of our family. For now, our daughter is only thirteen and oblivious to boys. {Whew!}

In the meantime, that Stern Father look is going to get a lot of practice.


On the blog this week…




My daughter is cooking…

Cake Mix Cookies for our picnic lunch at the church convention on Wednesday.

Bar cookies are easier and faster when you're in a hurry!
 



How was your week? Do you have a church convention you like to attend?







~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. I love your girls' dresses. We are thrift store shoppers by necessity and I don't enough modest clothes. Wish I had been taught to sew...

    Thanks for sharing your week. Lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing isn't difficult. I'm sure you could learn with a little practice. Thanks so much for your kind words, Christine!

      Delete
  2. What a special (but tiring) week, huh? My daughter is 11 and doesn't notice boys yet. Phew! It seems that this happens earlier and earlier. :sigh: But my oldest son, 14, isn't really interested in girls either! He has friends who do what those boys you saw did and some even have had "girlfriends". I'm so thankful he's not into that yet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a relief? I'm praying it lasts at least another couple of years! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great week! My oldest daughter is 6, and I think my hubby is already practicing his stern father look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll be ready then! Thanks so much for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Ah, with a 13 year old of my own, I know too well what an unsettling time this is. They seem so young, but, if my daughter would follow in my footsteps, she'd be getting married in just a hair over 5 years and having her first child a year after that! Be still my heart, is all I can say. LOL

    In Christ,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply cannot imagine giving her up in just five more years, Melissa! If the Lord speaks, though.... Need more prayer! :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great week! We do not have anything like that here (as far as I know!) but it sounds like a great time. We are getting to the end of our school year and so we are seeming to have less and less to do..... plus with all the snow and cold still hanging around..... I am SO READY for spring to show up here so we can do some fun outside things. :) And I am so glad I do not have to think about my daughters and boys yet... that time will come too soon as it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an odd spring, hasn't it? I can't remember the last time so many parts of the country were still getting so much snow. The flowers and sunshine are coming soon, Kayla. Hang on! :)

      Delete
  6. The convention sounds like a wonderful time! It is truly wonderful to spend time with like-minded people. I have a bit of the opposite problem here. You see, my oldest son will be 15 next month. He is already almost 6'2" and looks more like 18 or 19. Needless to say, he has been getting "looks" for some time now and it makes me very uncomfortable. At least he was oblivious to it the first couple of years. :-) Have a wonderful weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea he was only 15, Lisa! I can see why he gets looks, especially as tall as he is. I know this time has to come. I mean, we do all want grandchildren, right? :) I'm just not ready to navigate those waters yet.... You have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. Have a terrific weekend!

      Delete
  8. I think a church convention is a great way for your children to learn. So glad you all had a nice time. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a lot there! Thanks for visiting, Robin!

      Delete
  9. Awwwww love the pics! I love the fact that you dress modestly, and yet stylish. I love to see little girls in long dresses. As a commenter mentioned above, who wished she was taught how to sew, I did, but I was never good at it. I was taught in middle school, and I was the one child with crooked projects lol.

    I'd love to sew again, but crooked projects haunt me. My sewing skills are limited to sewing buttons and the occasional hem. I repaired a rip in a dress last yr, that I was proud of, didn't make it thru a washing without fraying. I guess I needed backing or something.

    Looks like you all had fun. It's nice to get away, even if the days are long and tiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls love the long dresses. When I make anything, they want it down to their ankles. Thanks so much for your kind words, Danielle! :)

      Delete
  10. We just recently had our church conference as well! It is a very uplifting time!
    I just love seeing all the cute clothes that you find second hand! And it is definitely a blessing when you can get a whole outfit in one trip!
    Your poor hubby, already having to master the stare down. It must be reasuring to know that your daughters are only drawing that kind of attention for the right reasons. Their happy faces, modest dress, glowing personalities and radiating the spirit of God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make an excellent point, Tiffany! No girl wants to be unattractive, so it is wonderful that their modesty and glow would be attractive to a young man. It says a lot for the young men, doesn't it? Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)