Monday, April 1, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday {List of Ten}

Spring has finally sprung, and it’s the time of year when we switch out seasonal clothing, go over last year’s stock, and daydream of what “new” items we need. If you’re my Facebook friend, you may know that I was sewing Easter dresses for my daughters this past Friday and Saturday. All of this has, naturally, affected my blogging muse and turned my mind to posting about clothing. {I won’t say fashion because, according to the world’s standards, I’m not too fashionable....}



I’ve never posted about modesty, although many of you have noticed that the girls in our family do wear longer skirts all the time. I’m not planning on tackling the whys and wherefores of modesty here, at least not now. {Whew!}

But many of you wear skirts to church or for a date night out, so I’m going to follow the example of The Modest Mom and do a Modest Monday post, except I’ll be featuring my daughters. I have so enjoyed seeing Caroline's outfits, as well as where she got them. {Go read her blog!} It encourages me to know I’m not the only one trying to dress myself and my family within a budget.

My prayer is that, no matter your thoughts on modesty, you might find some ideas or inspiration here, even if it’s just about a pair of shoes or a Lilla Rose clip you like.

Since I’ve promised a list of ten every Monday, I’ve massaged this post into a list of ten by numbering the items that they wore. Here goes ~ 






  1. The 13yo and 11yo are wearing sleeveless dresses I made from a very versatile pattern I adore. {A post about that coming soon!}
  2. They are also wearing coordinating shrugs from Kohl’s ~ 50% off plus another 20% off. Woo-hoo!
  3. The flower pin on the 11yo was purchased from Claire’s last year – a twofer special.
  4. The white shoes were purchased new for the 13yo and 11yo last spring, a bit big so that they would still fit this spring. Success!
  5. The white ruffle socks are also from last year.
  6. The 11yo is wearing the Lilla Rose Spring Bouquet clip in a half-up with a twist. She was sooo excited to curl her hair a bit this morning!
  7. The 13yo is wearing the Lilla Rose Roman Stone Lite Sapphire clip.
  8. The 7yo is wearing a hand-me-down dress that originally was given to the oldest girl by Grandma, who purchased it at Sam's Club.
  9. To make the 7yo’s dress a bit more special and non-transparent, I made a flouncy slip to poof out the skirt.
  10. The 7yo is wearing the other twofer flower in her hair.



I really enjoyed this post, but I would love to know what you think. Should I do more? Or back to a regular list of ten?

It's a new month, and that means a new flexi from Lilla Rose!
Beautiful for spring!




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket


Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. Your daughters look lovely! We are skirt and dress wearers too, although my daughter wears pants sometimes to play, hike etc around the farm. And I am a Lilla Rose fan and recent consultant. :)

    I enjoy Caroline's blog, too.

    Coming by from the Better Mom link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you fall in love with Lilla Rose, it's hard NOT to become a consultant. :) Thanks so much for stopping in and for your kind words, Deborah!

      Delete
  2. They look lovely. I love the long hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the white ruffle socks. To me they are the epitome of beautiful girlhood. Please don't ask why, but I really like them on little girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so comfortable, too, I wish I could still wear them! :)

      Delete
  4. Modesty is beautiful and the girls look lovely! Thank you for writing a little bit on modesty - I would definitely love more of it :) Have a blessed day!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Stephanie. I'm praying about it and making notes. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. You did a lovely job on their dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! Loved all your matching yellows!

      Delete
  6. Great post! I would personally love to hear your why's and wherefore's of wearing exclusively long skirts/dresses one day :)

    I have zero sewing ability, I've always wanted to learn though, so maybe one day I'll have the patience for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made many notes about the why's, Crystal, and thought and prayed about a series sharing my story since this all is new to me within the past 10-11 years. But just when I think I'm ready to post it, I hesitate because it seems that a lot of people take posts like that as judgmental, even though I don't intend it that way at all. Just because it's my story doesn't mean it has to be their story. Minding the Lord, no matter what He tells you, is the most important. Well, there's my soap box.... Anyway, prayers for courage would be appreciated.

      Learning to sew isn't hard. There are lots of tutorials online. I'm sure you could do it!

      Delete
  7. Your daughters look so pretty and their outfits are lovely. You did a wonderful job sewing!

    Your daughter in the second photo sure has lovely long curls and I love the hair jewelry in all the photos. My hair used to be down past my bottom and I could sit on it. I wore it up in a pony tail or bun a lot, just to have it out of the way.

    Now it's just a little past my shoulders. I had to have it long enough so that I could still put it up if I wanted, lol!

    Thanks so much for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Nan, and thanks for hosting the link-up!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful dresses! I went to JoAnn on Saturday since their Simplicity patterns were a $1...I got a simple skirt pattern that I've been wanting. I love Lillarose flexi clips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an incredible price! Simplicity patterns are the best, too, so easy to understand and follow. Thanks for reading, Stevie!

      Delete
  9. I love the girls' dresses. While I wear a lot of pants, I much prefer dresses. Which is good since they're easier to sew. You have inspired me to return to my dresses. I need new clothes for the summer (I need summer clothes period), and it won't take me long to make a few dresses. I just need to dig out a pattern that fits and get busy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nita. I'm glad you were inspired. Happy sewing!

      Delete
  10. Your girls are beautiful! And I must say you are an excellent seamstress. :) I have only one daughter so far, so making one Easter dress did not prove too difficult for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kendra. Hope you had a terrific Easter!

      Delete
  11. I would also be interested in a modesty series. I have a post on modesty, almost ready to go, but needs prayerful grace before posting. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that phrase, "prayerful grace." I think I need a lot of that too! Thanks so much for commenting. I'll watch for your post!

      Delete
  12. Ah, it lifts my heart to see another woman sewing. I just have time to do it at this season in my life, but I hope to do it in the future, because it makes me so happy (I used to do it for my girls when I had fewer children).

    In Christ,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Melissa! I love seeing the posts from other women who sew for themselves or their children. It is hard to fit in the time, though, isn't it? Thanks so much for commenting and for your encouragement a few weeks back to do my own Modest Monday post. :)

      Delete
  13. Your daughters look so beautiful! I think modesty is always attractive, but like you, I definitely wouldn't be considered "fashionable" by today's standards. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just a different kind of fashion.... :) Thanks so much for stopping by, Judy!

      Delete
  14. Your daughters look so beautiful. You did such a great job putting their outfits together on a budget. Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)