Friday, April 26, 2013

Taking Homeschool to the Library ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

{On Fridays, I post about the highlights of our homeschooling week, usually with lots of photos. I hope something here inspires or encourages you, and thanks for visiting!}

In my life this week…

It’s difficult to classify this little tidbit. It could be places we’re going. It could be helpful homeschooling tips.

Whatever we call it, we’ve finally determined that we need a regular day out. Once. a. week.

I don’t know why my bulb was so dim, but I finally had a light bulb moment. Too many times, when I would think of going out during the homeschool day, it seemed to involve shopping and spending money, something that detracted from getting the schoolwork done. I had also balked on taking the children to the library just to get books. It takes a lot of time to get everyone ready, and we already have so many books that I just didn’t see the need for all that effort every week. It finally occurred to me that we could take our school to the library. On purpose.


I know. I know. Seems obvious, doesn’t it?

Once each week now we take our school work to the public library. We’ve done this on Thursdays for the past four weeks, and it has been a huge morale booster to get us coasting toward the weekend.

The three Bigs, ages 13, 11, and 9, plan the day before which subjects they can do at the library. Then, each child in school, ages 13 down to 7, has the responsibility of packing their own backpack with whatever materials they will need to complete whatever school they can get done in two hours. This includes sharpened pencils, extra paper, an eraser, maybe even a protractor or note cards.


Our library has a terrific play spot in the children’s area packed with blocks, animals, puzzles, etc., for the two little boys, and the entire area is surrounded by a padded bench where the Bigs can spread out to get their work done. Once the 7yo is done with her phonics, math, and workbook, she gets to play and I check email or write blog posts on the iPad.


A regular library day also makes it so much easier when someone needs reference materials. We already know we’ll be there and don’t need to schedule in a special trip.

With spring weather coming soon, we might take our school work to the park and work either at a picnic table or on a blanket spread on the ground. When the little boys get a bit bigger (and if money permits), I would love to take the children to someplace like Panera or a coffee shop to have a hot beverage or a snack and lounge in their comfy chairs or share a booth while filling our minds with knowledge. Hmm…sounds blissful.


In our homeschool this week…

On Monday, the 9yo started the nitty gritty of his health curriculum ~ muscles. He hasn’t learned anatomy before, and his expressions of revulsion were priceless. “We have a lot of gross stuff in our bodies!”

On Wednesday, the 11yo finished a research report on Abraham Lincoln. She culled the encyclopedia, a Childhood of Famous Americans book, and couple of library books.


It’s even bound and illustrated. A+!



On the blog this week…
 My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ At Church










How was your week? Where do you like to homeschool, other than at home?


It's a Lilla Rose sale today only, Friday, April 26, on three great flexis!
Just in time for Mother's Day....
Which one is your favorite?








~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I wish our library had a bit more for little ones. My 2 year old finds it exciting to pull every book she sees off the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it until I read your comment, Rachel, but now I'm wondering if our library does have a little extra for the Littles than many libraries. It's a fairly new building, and I don't remember the old location having a play area. Maybe as your daughter gets older?

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of taking school to the library...and I also love how you do the end of the week wrap up! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end of week wrap up is wonderful. Thank you, iHomeschool Network! I love the format, especially since we all tend to get so tired by the end of the week. :)

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I've often thought about doing the very same thing but...I like to combine library trips with the playground, lake (when its summer) and even some grocery shopping. Love the Lincoln report! Oh, and such beautiful girls! Love their dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So maybe you could just have an entire day out, Jessy? If the library is very far, it might be easier to stop multiple places in one trip. Thanks for visiting, friend!

      Delete
  4. I just LOVE your idea! Maybe I will try this here! I know my kids would enjoy it. Your daughters look beautiful in their dresses. My daughter and I wear dresses/skirts exclusively. I just wish we lived closer to families like yours, as sometimes I feel like she and I are the only ones. :-) Have a great weekend. Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fun to have a great big in-person meet-and-greet and all of us bloggers and commenters could get together and eat pizza and fix each other's hair and talk about clothes? Daughters, too! And your daughter can bring the cookies, Lisa! :)

      Delete
    2. I think you should all come to NW Arkansas. We would invite you to church and introduce you to the MANY large families in it, including the Duggars. What fun that would be!

      Delete
    3. Seriously, Val? We would LOVE that! If we ever plan a trip that way, I'll send you a message!

      Delete
  5. The library is a fun outing for us. i am not sure how much schooling we would do there because my kids would be looking at books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe schooling first and then look at books? Or make the books part of the learning? I'm so glad you stopped in, Beth. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog, living in so many exciting places.

      Delete
  6. How fun! My youngest went to preschool that was done by a family friend. But it was a bit of a drive. So sometimes he brother and I would take his school books and do school at the library.

    Sometimes we would do school at McDonald's. School came first and then he could go and play! Love the flexibility of homeschooling!

    Thanks so much for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just today I was wondering if school at McDonald's would work. The Bigs are old enough now to get bored in the PlayPlace, so they could do school while the Littles play. Might have to try it. Thanks for the suggestion, Nan!

      Delete
  7. Your library looks plenty cozy for a great homeschool day there. We are frequenters at our public library so I can definitely appreciate this post! found you at moms library

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite cozy, and I hadn't fully appreciated it until we figured out a way to spend more time there without causing a huge disruption in getting school done. Enjoy your library, and thanks for commenting, Steph! :)

      Delete
  8. Going to the library is such a good idea. We used to until we moved and the libary mostly has trashy novels. Thanks for linkig up at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you definitely have to be careful at the library, Judith. The children are so accustomed to me previewing everything that as soon as they pull something interesting off the shelf they hand it to me and ask, "Can I get this?" :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)