Friday, May 17, 2013

Daddy’s Home! ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up


I am uber excited to guest post at The Modest Mom today and help Caroline find a bit of free time to write an e-book. The topic is Feminine Friday {in the style of Modest Monday} with plenty of pictures of my daughters. I would love if you visited today and followed her in some way. She has a terrific blog.

If you have arrived here from The Modest Mom, welcome! I’m a homeschooling mother of six who found modesty about ten years ago. {Within the next month, I’ll be sharing in a mini-series my testimony of my transition to skirts.}

I blog here about homeschooling and homemaking on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. For the past several weeks, the Monday post has been My Daughters’ Modest Monday, featuring {ta-da!} my daughters. Wednesday is a fill-in-the-blank. Friday is my homeschool mother’s journal, passing on encouragement and helpful hints as I share highlights of our week.

I’d love to have you back! Sign up for an email subscription, follow me on Pinterest, or become my friend on Facebook.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming….

~~~~~

Is it Friday already?

In my life this week…

Do you still have a Mother’s Day glow? While I napped in the afternoon, my children made this incredible lapbook/Mother’s Day card. 





The flowers are real, and the children have been drying them for quite a while!



And…my husband gave me the gift he asked me to order, since I’m the Lilla Rose consultant with the discount. A bit odd, perhaps, but it was still a thrill to open the package. J


The mega gift is that my husband is home for three weeks in between the spring and summer college semesters!


In our homeschool this week…

With less than twenty days of school left and now Daddy at home, it is like pulling teeth to get school done!

The 9yo is back to his mischief as well. The picture shows his *help* with the 7yo’s word search.





The 7yo was not amused!


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We still had our library day, but my husband went with us this week. He loves to get down on the floor and play, so the 7yo had quite a chore trying to stay focused and complete her work before she could play.


My favorite thing this week was…

Listening to the 13yo practice a piece she’s playing in church on Father’s Day and watching the Littles dance to her music. Funny how *dancing* usually involves running in circles and somersaults. J





On the blog this week…

My Daughter’s Modest Monday ~ At Grandma’s ~~ We had lunch last Saturday with my mother, and she appears in the final picture of this post. I also asked for prayer for her struggle with macular degeneration.



I’m cooking…

Ham, rice, and green beans in the crock pot. My husband threw on a thick layer of shredded Co-Jack cheese to melt on top in the last few minutes.





This was sooo easy! My hat is off to you ladies that use your crock-pot to its fullest advantage. I need to do more with mine.

Have a wonderful weekend!







How was your week? How was your Mother’s Day? Do you have any crock pot recipes to share?






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. I love the gift from your kids. So much thought went into it. What a treasure!

    I laughed out loud when I saw your 9 year old's comment on the younger one's paper. That is so funny. Of course, if the shoe were on the other foot, it wouldn't be such a smart response, right?

    I was going to ask where your husband works that he is away so much. I have had to learn to do a lot without my hubby. He's in Iraq right now for the State Department. I hate that he is gone so frequently, it makes it difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 9yo is pretty good-natured, so he actually can take it about as well as he can dish it out. :)

      My husband is a college professor, so when I say that he is home for three weeks, that just means that he doesn't go to teach classes since the college is on break before the summer semester begins. He travels for his job only rarely, but even with those times it was difficult. It's hard to imagine having my husband away for long, and yet many in the military are gone for a year at a time. I am amazed and impressed with those families that hold it together in those circumstances. I'll be praying for you, your husband, and your family with his absences, Rachel.

      Delete
    2. Rachel, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. My husband recently retired from the Army. If your children would ever like to chat with children who know what it's like for daddy to be gone often, I know my kids would be happy to speak or write to them. My daughter was born when my husband was in Iraq. It isn't easy, but I always say that my "3 Fs" got me through-- faith, family and friends. :-)

      Delete
  2. Just stopping over from Modest Mom! I think I may have found a new blog to follow =)
    I had to laugh at your child's comment/ "help" on the younger ones paper. We also homeschool and sometimes I'm amazed at what kids come up with =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're here, Heather. (I presume it's Heather? :) ) There's rarely a dull or quiet moment in homeschooling, is there?

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog by following over from The Modest Mom. It is wonderful to 'meet' your family and I look forward to reading through your archives. I'm a homeschooling mom to seven (soon to be eight) sweet children and my oldest daughter will be 12 next month, heading into 7th grade this fall. I would love to learn more about how homeschooling goes with your older children, materials you've loved, etc. Are there particular blog posts I could check out or would you consider sharing in an upcoming post?

    Thank you!

    PS, you can meet my family on our blog: http://ourbusyhomeschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a neat present! So smart!

      Delete
    2. So glad to have you here, Tristan, and congratulations on a new little one soon! I've had a few ask about homeschooling older children or so many children, and I know some mothers wonder about reading material that's acceptable, so I've been mulling over what I use that might be helpful. On my homeschooling page are several posts that explain the basics of what we do and what we use. Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and thoughtful present and I love that your hubby is home with you for a while, as well! :-)

    I am really looking forward to your series on modesty. I found modesty about 5 years ago and my daughter and I have worn skirts/dresses exclusively since then. Have you faced family support or scorn? I know my daughter, although she understands the reasoning and loves what she wears, sees everyone around us in our family and in our church and since there is no one that dresses like us, it is difficult on her.

    I hope you have a great weekend! Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I loved your post on Modest Mom! :-)

      Delete
    2. I've been a bit reluctant to do a series on modesty, since it seems to be such a controversial topic. But I've had several ask, so I'm just going to share my experience and reasoning, not preach. :) We have not had family support, but I can't really say we've been scorned either. They do disagree and have let us know that they disagree. I thought I'd tackle that subject as well. Please pray for me as I write this coming week. :)

      Delete
  5. http://www.typativemamacat.com/2013/05/liebster-award-tag-post.html

    I nominated you for a Liebster. If you aren't familiar it is a tag post award where you are supposed to pick 11 of your favorite bloggers with under 200 followers and share links to their pages and ask questions they can choose to answer if they so desire (if you do you are supposed to in turn link to 11 other bloggers).

    Hope you get a chance to check it out.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi, for thinking of me! But I've already received that and posted my responses. Am I supposed to participate again?

      Delete
  6. I found "BAND" LOL! I Love word searches. I like to time challenge myself on them.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)