Monday, May 6, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ At The Creation Museum

It’s Creation Week on the blog this week!

Today, the girls are showing what they wore to The Creation Museum this past weekend.

Wednesday, the 13yo is taking over the blog and posting her research about creation versus evolution. She has some excellent arguments, thanks to Answers in Genesis.

Friday, my Homeschool WeekWrap-Up will be chock full of pictures from our field trip to The Creation Museum.

{Can you tell how much we love that place? J}

~~~~~~~~~~ 

So, on to Modest Monday!

Have you ever had that nightmare of losing a child? You look away for just one moment, you just want to read one more sign at the museum or take a sip of water or dig in your purse for a Kleenex. You turn back and count the children.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five….

Where’s six?!

Panic ensues. Search teams are formed. Several frantic minutes later you find number six teetering over the edge of the pond trying to touch the fish.

I’m thankful it’s never happened like this, but can you tell I’ve run this scenario through my head a few times?

That’s why, when we are going someplace where there could be crowds, I dress the children in matching shirts. {I did this a bit when we went to the zoo a few weeks ago, but it was chilly, we would be wearing jackets, and I didn’t think it would be crowded, so the children didn’t match quite so exactly.}




Even though the boys aren’t pictured, all three are wearing the exact same shirts as the girls. I purchased these at Wal-Mart for $3.50 each in the boys size 4-18 section. I would like to girly-up the girls shirts, perhaps with an applique on the front. If I do that, though, the boys won’t want to wear them as hand-me-downs. It’s a dilemma. And just another reason I'm glad the girls wear skirts -- to feminize a tee-shirt.


The 13yo ~

Green tee-shirt ~ Wal-Mart boys section
Denim skirt ~ thrift store
White tennis shoes ~ Kohl’s 50% off with additional 15% off last year {I think!}




Lilla Rose flexi ~ oblong bun in Horse Named Rose {I apologize for the poor light in this picture. The Creation Museum has special lights on the poisonous tree frogs and the iguanas, and it must have made the picture turn out dark.}


The 11yo ~

Green tee-shirt ~ Wal-Mart boys section
Denim skirt {her favorite!} ~ thrift store
Brown tennis shoes ~ Payless last year




Lilla Rose flexi ~ oblong bun in Plumeria Flower


The 7yo ~


The girly girl was thrilled to pose for this picture!




But then she admitted the tulip smelled awful!

Green tee-shirt ~ Wal-Mart boys section
Denim ruffled jumper ~ garage sale and then handed down from older sister
White tennis shoes ~ hand-me-down from friend








Do you ever dress your children all in matching shirts? Where do you find the right sizes?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. We went to the Creation Museum 6 years ago and loved it! T-shirts--what about some white lace around the hems and sleeve edges, that could be taken off later?? :) Love that color green, and it looks beautiful with the jeans skirts/jumper!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Christa -- something detachable. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I can see your dilemma. I would prefer something cuter for the girls,(in part for the sake of not wanting to perpetuate stereotypes about modest dressing for those who will see you when you're out and about) but I understand your safety and practicality concerns.
    Just brainstorming some ideas:
    1) You could pin/clip a flower on to the t-shirt that could be taken off later.
    2) Let the girls wear a fun chunky necklace.
    3) Give it an age limit. Once the kids reach a certain age (8? 9?) /level of responsibility, and are capable of paying attention to where you are, they don't have to wear the matching shirts any more. You could still write your cell phone number on their arm in case they do get separated from you by accident.
    4) Don't worry about matching clothes, just use baseball-type caps. I've seen school groups do this on field trips. You wouldn't have to worry about them growing out of the caps as often either.
    Just some thoughts that you might (or might not!) be able to use.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a white flower pin that I'm sure the 11yo would love to wear with her shirt. Wish I had thought of that! I suggested a scarf to the 13yo, but she is truly no-frills and didn't want to deal with a scarf around her neck all day. :) A friend showed me how to make fabric flowers, so maybe I'll get the girls busy. Thanks for the great suggestions!

      Delete
  3. I have three in two years (twin girls, then another girl 2 years later) and instead of the exact same shirt I will put them in similar ones, such as all white shirts, but different styles, or all purple shirts. Since a lot of our clothes are hand-me-downs I don't usually have the exact same shirt for all of them. I agree it makes the girls easier to find when we're out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Katie, this is rather unusual that they all have the same shirt. We're typically in your situation -- matching colors rather than exact style. Definitely makes the trip easier. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Take the side of a t-shirt at the waist, bunch it up tight like a tail, wrap a pretty hair tie around it. Kind of cute and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember doing that when I was {much} younger.... but I guess I had a {mommy} moment and didn't think of it. :) Thanks for the great suggestion, Val!

      Delete
  5. So nice. Looking forward to Wednesday's post!

    Meghan, please check out this super easy tutorial for a girl's or woman's shrug: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/tshirt_shrug

    It has literally changed the way I shop! I can now purchase dresses at thrift stores that I might have passed on before because they were a little too skimpy around the bust.

    This perfectly and very femininely covers the shoulders and provides a lovely modest neckline. It also slightly cinches the waist (very becoming)!

    I have made two from inexpensive v-neck shirts from Walmart, which are available in many colors, and the sewing section had perfectly matching ribbon (I used 1/8 inch wide).

    Sorry for leaving such a long reply, but I'm so excited about how this easy technique opens up so many more options for those of us trying to maintain modesty. Love your website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving this suggestion, Jackie! The tee-shirt shrug looks so easy and yet so pretty. Can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for visiting, and hope to see you again. :)

      Delete
  6. Yes, I used to dress my boys up in the same shirts. And then when I would take my classes on field trips, I did the same. It IS much easier to keep track of them. :D

    Frances
    Notions from Nonny
    Healthier Lifestyle with Nonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The schools do that too, don't they? We often see classes on trips with special tee-shirts they had made just for that trip. Maybe we should get some of those shirts..."Carver Family Spring Break 2013" or "Carvers Take Over the Creation Museum." :) Great suggestion, Frances!

      Delete
  7. I often match my girls when we are out and about, help me finding them easier in crowds :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a help, isn't it? Thanks for the affirmation!

      Delete
  8. When my boys were younger we would always all dress in the same shirts. Made it lot easier to keep track of each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my husband and I match as well. Ratchet up that cute factor! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. We love the Creation Museum, too. We have visited several times in past Decembers, but we really have yet to see what it looks like when it's warm outside! It looks like a lot of fun.

    (I don't have much to add to the matching clothes topic--we are the most UNmatching family!! LOL It's a great idea, though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens are amazing at the Creation Museum! In the spring there are lots of tulips and daffodils. Then by summer the foliage has grown up. The children particularly enjoy the five-foot banana leaves that make what they think is a secret passageway. Hope you get there soon!

      Delete
  10. I've been wanting to go the Creation Museum for a while, I really need to get over there. I love thrift store shopping.... great finds!!! ~Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago, I was not good at thrift store shopping. I just could never find anything. But something changed within the past year or two and now I find something just about every time. Maybe it's having daughters who are more interested in shopping now? :) Thanks for visiting, Martha!

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to check out your posts on the Creation museum. And I have major hair envy right now. I would love, LOVE to have thick hair like that. :) Beautiful clips, beautiful girls - wonderful family. I hope we get to meet someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rosilind! It would be so fun to meet and see your adorable little boys! Do you ever get back to the States?

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)