Friday, May 31, 2013

How Many Books Do You Have? ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

{On Fridays, I post about the highlights of our homeschooling week, usually with lots of photos. I hope something here inspires or encourages you, and thanks for visiting! We'll continue the series on modesty on Monday.}

How's life for you? We're still on break, doing un-school-ish but educational activities. *grin*

In my life this week…

As you may remember, we’ve been using my husband’s time off to get some work done around the house, including painting our bedroom and bathroom. Isn’t it wonderful how a fresh coat of paint can liven up a space?

We have in our room two large bookshelves, each 48 inches wide. Those bookshelves, naturally, had to be emptied and moved in order to paint the entire room.

It was fun for the whole family! {Hmm…sarcasm? Fun for some at least.}

The 9yo used the empty bookcase as a phone booth .

A new meaning to living books.

We did box some up, filling eight boxes with what I would call reference picture books/coffee table books, completed Bible studies, history and political books. But that still leaves us with this ~








That's not even every bookshelf!

Inspiration struck when the 13yo and the 11yo decided to count how many books we have. However, it ended up something like this ~~

13yo: “One. Two. Three. Four. Hey, that book looks interesting. Love the girls’ dress on the cover.” Opens the book and begins reading.

Me, an hour later: “So, how many books do we have? Did you finish counting?”

13yo: “Umm…four?”

So, there’s our answer to the question, how many books do we have?

Four. We have four books.


Places we’re going…

A day trip took us to Turkey Run State Park in Indiana. Yes, there really is more than corn, even some beauty, in Indiana. J






On the blog this week…



Have a terrific weekend!






How was your week? How many books or bookshelves do you have? Too many to count?


Linking with the Homeschool Mother's Journal.



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Oh how I LOVE homeschoolin ... and the books that spill into every room.

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into some momma goodness.

    Also wanted to invite you, to share this post (or any other that you love) to encourage other moms. We could use your joy, your goofs, your creative, your photos, your celebration of anything mom. Our momma notes together become a little melody over here ...
    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/05/sometimes-momma-misses.html

    Splashin'
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Splash around all you want, Sarah. Glad to have you here! Thanks so much for the invitation. I'll check it out! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. Where are pictures of the newly painted rooms? Would love to see them when finished (or even in process!).

    Books, yes, we have shelves and even some boxed up, as well as a stash waiting for a yard sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yard sale?! :) I have such a terrible time getting rid of books! Just buy more shelves....

      Delete
  3. Meghan, you sound like me. My house is full of books. We have the same bookshelves! I am in the process of packing them up for a move. It is taking me forever, because I get distracted and start reading them. My daughter is the same way. She saw a pile of books waiting to be packed and hopped in the bean bag. She read about ten books about Native Americans and the Colonial time period. I have a hard time getting rid of books. I love hitting the Friends of a Library book sale each year. I can pick up a bag of great books for $1-5. Stop by and visit A Learning Journey if you get a chance I would love to hear from you. I hope to link up my post to the Homeschool Mother's Journal later this afternoon. Here's where you can find me http://totplay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those bookshelves because they're both pretty and sturdy. No matter how much I pile on, I know they won't begin to sway under the weight. So, bring on more books, right? So glad you stopped by today.

      Delete
  4. I am getting ready to send EVERY SINGLE book we have out to another family. I cannot keep adding to this madness lol I am making hubbie do most of it. I cannot look at them, or they will end up staying here. LOVE the nature trail pictures. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Val, do you feel like playing taps? :) It is so hard to get rid of books!

      Delete
    2. I kept catching myself snooping in the boxes. Oh, I didn't know we had this...oh, remember that? Ugh! I finally just divorced myself of the whole ordeal. Told hubbie just to blindly pack and go. Trouble is, he loves books even more. We are sad. We got rid of 9 boxes filled to the brim yesterday. And, we still have a lot here. The survivors are not going anywhere!

      Delete
  5. How many books? too many! I laughed at how the counting played out in your home. It would be very similar in ours.
    And the phone booth - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be the same if I was the one doing the counting, too! Thanks for commenting, Linda. :)

      Delete
  6. I've got to tell you, Meghan, that one of the saddest parts for me when my children graduated from homeschool was not being able to order books and school supplies each year. I have to be careful about accumulating books : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to think about what that day will be like, Gail, but I can imagine the difficulty and the emotions. Thanks for the reminder to savor the moments.

      Delete
    2. Oh, feeling so blessed to have children spaced out in ages! My oldest is 17, and the youngest is 5. By the time we are done, we'll have grandbabies!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)