Monday, May 13, 2013

My Daughter’s Modest Monday ~ At Grandma’s House


Have you ever found a top you absolutely adored but the neck was too low or the sleeves were too short? Perhaps the sleeves were even nonexistent? Maybe you have a favorite short sleeve shirt you’d like to wear year round.

Layer it with a long-sleeve shirt underneath.

I hate to admit how long it took me to figure this one out {waaay too long!}, but now we keep a ready supply of long-sleeve white cotton shirts.




So, when we found this beautiful green peasant shirt at the thrift store but the neck seemed a little low, the 13yo knew exactly what to do. And I love how she paired it with a denim skirt with a ruffled hem so that the ruffles complement each other.




Here’s what the 13yo wore ~

Green peasant shirt ~ thrift store
Long-sleeve white shirt ~ Target {Target costs a bit more than Wal-Mart, but I like their shirts better because they have a bit of stretch in them and they fit and wear better. This shirt may have been $7 whereas Wal-Mart would be more like $5. Well worth the extra $2!}
Ruffled denim skirt ~ thrift store
Brown Mary Jane’s ~ Payless




Lilla Rose flexi ~ oblong bun with Classic Etched Cross

{Note to self: Thou shalt not covet. Thou shalt not covet. Thou shalt not covet!}

Can you tell how much I adore this outfit?? J

Saturday, we went to lunch with my mom. I took these photos at her front door. Since many of you on Facebook said you wanted to see Modest Monday pictures with my mom, here’s Grandma with the three granddaughters. I’ll have future posts about the other daughters’ outfits. And I have no idea where Mom got her clothes. J



As you finish reading this post, could I ask you to pray for my mother, me, and my brother? My mom is 80 years old and physically healthy except for macular degeneration. Slowly, she is going blind. She can still drive around her little suburb, but the time is coming soon when she won’t be allowed to drive. As we sat across the lunch table from her Saturday afternoon, she said that our faces were fuzzy. Please pray for physical healing {a miracle would be wonderful!} and for the three of us to be able to make Godly decisions. 

Thank you, dear sisters!






Do you like to layer your shirts?




I adore this image that another consultant made for all of us to use and wanted to share it with you all. Isn't it clever? To bring some Lilla Rose May flowers to your door, shop my Lilla Rose website



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. It's hard to watch loved ones suffer so, even if it isn't painful. It's also hard to know something they have counted on as a basic tool is going away.

    Two of my daughters are legally blind. I know how hard it is to deal with. On top of prayers, prepare her for life seeing in other ways. Help her to realize that things can still be done well without seeing. You would be surprised! 80 years of doing with eyes? Wow! I bet she could do all but drive with her eyes closed now.

    I'm glad to hear you had a great day yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered about some kind of training or schooling to help her learn to get along. So far it's not that bad, but the problem with the driving is not that she can't do. It's that little government agency called the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. :) Thanks for the encouragement, Rachel.

      Delete
  2. Your granddaughter is so lovely. My daughters do a lot of layering. Finding modest clothing is very tricky, but with a keen fashion sense, my 4th daughter is very modern AND modest by shopping thrift stores as well.

    Coming over from What Joy is Mine link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possible, isn't it, Kate? Thanks so much for hopping over. :)

      Delete
  3. Your mom looks great! I will pray for her sight,and for your family.

    I love to layer! I layer with tank tops for shirts that are too low cut (or that I don't like the length of...my tank tops are longer), and with long sleeves under short sleeves in the winter. I love her top too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point about the length of layering, Crystal. It's a great way to get a little extra length.

      Yeah, isn't it cute? If I were only a few sizes smaller.... :)

      Delete
  4. Our mothers are almost as old! it hurts to see them suffer. Praying for her. I like the way your daughter is dressed. It's a great way! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have large gaps in our generations, since my parents didn't get me (I'm adopted) until my mom was 37. Then, I didn't have my first child until I was 30. That's somewhat unusual, so it's neat to "meet" someone with a similar situation. So glad to see you here again, Jedidja!

      Delete
  5. Praying for you all! It is hard to see them age. My husband's mother lived with us with Alzheimer's up until her death at age 91. It was such a special time for our family to have her! As for the shirts, we tend to layer all of our shirts. It seems none are all that modest these days. We keep a stockpile of tank tops for most layering. Some tanks we can put on backwards for more modesty. We've done the long sleeves ones, too. Whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't wait to tell my girls in the morning about the backwards tank top idea! It seems that I've heard that somewhere before, but it got lost in that swirl of information in my mom brain. :) Thanks for the suggestion, Val!

      Delete
  6. She looks lovely :)
    I have to admit I love spring and fall, because of layering, more colors and patterns to choose from when you layer!

    I'm stopping by from raising Homemakers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There do seem to be more clothing options in the cooler weather. And we've had such a deliciously cool spring! Thanks for stopping!

      Delete
  7. I will pray for your mom and the decision you have to make concerning her eyes. My dad is almost 91 and also have Macular Degeneration. He has had cateract surgery in both eyes and sees much better but not perfect by any means. He still uses the computer and writes b/c the computer can make the print large. He isn't blind yet, so maybe it will move slow for your mom too.

    Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Judith, for the prayers and the encouragement. For a few months, it seemed to progress rather rapidly. But then it seemed to slow down. If it stays slow-moving, she could maintain her independence for a few more years. As always, I love your blog and so appreciate your link-up!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)