Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Old-Fashioned White Bread in the Breadmaker


I nearly cried when the lightning struck. No matter our efforts at resuscitation, our West Bend bread machine just wasn’t going to make it.

Have you had a kitchen help or appliance like that? You depend on it, use it, love it so much that when the end is nigh…well, would a funeral be improper?

Even though we had to get a different bread machine, we still had the recipe book. West Bend doesn’t make the same model so we ended up with something different entirely, but we can still use the same recipe for Old Fashioned White Bread.


This recipe is for a two-pound loaf and comes straight from the West Bend Automatic Bread & Dough Maker recipe book.

Ingredients:

13 ounces (1 ½ cups + 2 Tbsp.) milk, 80oF
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 cups bread flour {I buy ours in 25lb bags from Sam’s Club.}
2 ½ tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast OR 2 teaspoons bread machine/fast rise yeast {I also buy yeast at Sam’s Club for an incredible price.}


Instructions:

Add liquid ingredients and butter to pan.

Add all dry ingredients, except yeast, to pan. Tap pan to settle dry ingredients, then level ingredients, pushing some of the mixture into the corners.

Make a well in the center of dry ingredients; add yeast. Lock pan into bread maker.

Program for basic setting and desired crust color and loaf size settings. Program time delay if being used. Turn bread maker on. When done, turn off, unlock pan and remove with oven mitts. Shake bread out of pan and cool on rack before slicing.

This size loaf serves our family of eight one breakfast.

Bon appetit!







What's your favorite recipe in the breadmaker?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhh . . . homemade bread is wonderful!!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aroma alone comes straight from Heaven, I think! Thanks, Judith.

      Delete
  2. My dad used to make the best bread! I have a bread maker but I have never used it (although my hubby has). I've made bread from scratch though, just like my dad did. Now you've got me thinking I need to break out the bread maker! Thanks for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread from scratch is fantastic, Nan! But yeah, a bit more time-consuming.... Enjoy your homemade bread!

      Delete
  3. I love homemade bread! I was going to make bread in my machine today - I think I'll try this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works well for you, Rosilind. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I love making homemade bread. I am definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/05/try-new-recipe-tuesday-may-28.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always have a recipe, but I sure do like your link-up. Thanks, Lisa!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)