Friday, May 3, 2013

What Is a Weekend? ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

{On Fridays, I post about the highlights of our homeschooling week, usually with lots of photos. I hope something here inspires or encourages you, and thanks for visiting!}

Happy Lumpy Rug Day, friends!


Seriously. I don’t make this stuff up.

Should we celebrate with brownies? *grin*


In our homeschool this week…

Sometimes a mischievous streak rears its head in our home. {I’m sure that never happens with you. J} As the 7yo and I were working on phonics, sounding out new words, the 9yo, apparently bored with his math, decided to turn reading into charades.

{This is where I would have inserted photos of his frog and crab. But he refused to give permission. J}

Despite his desire to interfere, it actually turned out to be quite helpful. And giggling is always good.

In other news…. The 7yo seemed to be having difficulty, all of a sudden, remembering how to count to 20. It’s one of those spontaneous amnesia things, I think, because she didn’t have any trouble a couple of weeks ago. So, we’re working away, she’s understanding basic addition, and then whamo! She can’t remember what comes after fourteen. Back to the basics. I spent way too much time online looking for the perfect worksheet before I realized that the 13yo would probably love to draw a doggy worksheet where the 7yo can count and write the numbers and then color.




Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Another library day yesterday, and I think the librarians are beginning to realize that we’re going to be regulars. J




When the boys first saw this play structure, the 4yo said, "Look! A church!"


Questions/thoughts I have…

I’m a huge Downton Abbey fan. The children like it too, although there are a few parts we have not allowed them to see, the same parts I wish I hadn’t seen. In the very first season, when we’re just getting to know the characters, the Dowager Countess has a classic line. The new heir, Matthew, is talking about his job as a solicitor. Lord Grantham is questioning when Matthew will have time to learn about running the estate. Matthew says he will have evenings, “And there’s always the weekend.” The Dowager Countess (Lord Grantham’s mother), looking quite perplexed, asks, “What is a weekend?”

Sometimes I wonder if people think I don’t have much notion of what a weekend is. I mean, I don’t get up and work a nine-to-five job Monday through Friday or get the children to school by seven every morning. I’m *just* at home with the children all the time. All the days run together, right?

I can’t say I really care what others think. I'll keep doing God's will. 

I just wonder sometimes.


We’re looking forward to…

A field trip to The Creation Museum. The 13yo finished a HUGE research report on creation vs. evolution which I’ll be featuring next week on the blog. What better way to mark the end of weeks of work?


On the blog this week…

One of our first squabbles over who “owns” an article of clothing. J

A list of how our jobs as mothers correlate to the departments of a corporation.


The 11yo is reading…

The Hobbit. The 13yo read it before we watched the movie. That inspired the competitive 9yo boy to read it as well. Of course, the 11yo didn’t want to be left out of the discussion of the book, so she’s now reading it.


Yep. That’s a Lilla Rose flexi. {Of course!}




How was your week?






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~



This post may be linked up, with much gratitude, to these blog hops.

Photobucket Growing Home parents as teachers Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. I agree about the weekend. If it weren't for church on Wednesdays and Sundays, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the days of the week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to lose track, but I still look forward to the weekend when my husband is home. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. my days all run together too... Often when I am writing a check, I will ask what day is it.

    As for how things are going here: crazy busy! My parents arrive in 2 weeks from Brazil and we are gardening, getting chickens and refurbishing outside furniture. I am so tired. Check out my blog for more. :)

    Ps your daughter has beautiful hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great time coming up, Tereza! Enjoy their visit!

      Delete
  3. Heeheehee, Happy Lumpy Rug Day to you too. And yes, I do believe I will go have a brownie to celebrate too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could bring some festivity to your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  4. Have a wonderful week! Enjoyed your update and yes, her hair is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! It's like sharing a virtual cup of coffee to hop around and read everyone's updates. :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow! She's got some LOOONNGG hair, huh? Pretty! And the hair pin is beautiful too! Happy Lumpy Rug Day? LOL We usually have Happy Lumpy BED Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of Lumpy Bed Day, Jessy. Depending on the age of the child, that could be every day!

      Delete
  6. Enjoying a snow day in NW Arkansas in May! So weird. We usually have school during snow days, but we're done for the year. The Lord just sent us some unseasonal snow for some reason. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching the weather in your area, Val. Incredible! Would love to have some snow again!

      Delete
  7. What beautiful hair. Love hearing about your week. Full of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phyllis! So happy to have you here.

      Delete
  8. I look forward to reading about your trip to the Creation Museum. I've wanted to go for a while now, but we're waiting until the kids are a bit older.

    Sounds like you have fun every day of the week--not just the weekends! Same here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog, Keri, and all the pictures you show of your girls. You definitely are a fun mama!

      Delete
  9. We missed several opportunities to go to the Creation Museum the last times we were in Ohio/Kentucky. I am determined that we will go this year. I am really excited for the Noah's Ark opening, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ark Encounter! I think it was supposed to be open in 2014 originally, but I'm not sure if they're on schedule or not. Sounds terrific!

      Delete
  10. I didn't realize there was a lumpy rug day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, Beth, until I saw it earlier this week on one of those listings of so-called days, like Ice Cream Sundae Day or Stay in Your Pajamas Day. I always wonder who comes up with these! :-)

      Delete
  11. How exciting to visit the Creation museum!! I've recently wondered about weekends, too.... I seem to think my children should enjoy their days off, just as I did. But then I remember that they're done with school (the book portion) by noon, don't have homework, and don't start school until 8:30--sometimes 9! Thanks for sharing your week in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Sara Elizabeth! Sometimes the children act like they spend sooo much time in school, but then I remind them of what my days were like in public school. (hehe) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  12. You are going to have an awesome time at the Creation Museum!! Hope you're having a nice week. I've posted the new Homemaking Party for the week and would love to have you link up, if you'd like!

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good, Sarah. Thanks for letting me know of the link-up. I'll be there!

      Delete
  13. Sometimes the days DO tend to run together, don't they? Especially during the summer. Your 13 y/o is very talented at drawing. Also love the photo of her reading a book with her long hair flowing (assuming that's her).

    Looks like you had a fun week! Thanks so much for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves to draw, so we're adding in some art curriculum to our school. It was a good week. Thanks for visiting, Nan!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)