Monday, June 3, 2013

How I Found Modesty, or How Modesty Found Me ~ Part Two

{If you missed Part One, you might want to start there to get the beginning of my story.}

And the saga continues…. J

Toward the end of my email exchange with my husband’s coworker, my husband’s company downsized and eliminated 25% of their IT staff, including him. We had the two girls at the time, a mortgage payment over $1,000 a month, and suddenly no income. It was our crisis moment – what I call sanctification or some might call consecration. Would we trust the Lord and His leading? Would we really give everything to Him and do His will, no matter the consequences?


It was scary and mind-boggling and wonderful and spine-tingling, all at the same time!

My husband immediately found a temporary position while he searched for a permanent, full-time job. We also put our home up for sale. Life really began to spin when our home sold in 21 days but my husband had no permanent position yet. We had very little idea of where to move.

Within a week of closing on our house, my husband was offered his current position. We moved two days before Christmas and breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Now how would we find a church? We were in a new area and had no idea where to look. We knew we wanted a church where the women wore skirts, but what kind of church was that? I was prepared to throw off my extreme introversion and stop any woman at the local Wal-Mart who looked the part to ask her where she went to church. First, though, my husband and I turned to the yellow pages and wrote down the address to the church with the longest name.

We found it easily enough and drove past the Saturday evening after we moved, hoping to find a sign that would give service times for the next day. It turned out to be a cute little country church…without a sign. My not-as-introverted-as-me husband drove around back, hoping to find someone there. There was a car, and a few minutes after he stepped inside he was back, a broad smile on his face. “The pastor’s wife and daughter are here. And they’re wearing skirts!”

Inside, the pastor’s wife and 13yo daughter were preparing for Junior Church for the next day. They were gracious and welcoming, even the daughter who had sponge rollers in her hair! I still feel empathy for her in that moment. Can you imagine hiding out at the church on Saturday night, thinking no one will be there, and then being surprised by a family of strangers while you have rollers in your hair? She immediately fell in love with our girls and was a great friend to them for many years.

So, as they say, the rest is history. Not necessarily easy history…but I’ll be writing about that in posts coming up in this series.

For me, it was all about obedience. God lead, and I followed. Some people read their Bibles and see a call to be a missionary in Africa or to adopt children or to be gluten-free. I opened my Bible and saw a call to modesty. {And, to some extent, this is easier than those three years when the Lord told me to stop eating chocolate. J}

The priority with any spiritual decision is to mind the Lord. When I’m not sure what to do, I search the Scriptures and then get in my prayer closet on my knees and seek Him. I ask Him to help me not to be afraid of what He might say. I remind myself that whatever He tells me to do, He will help me with it.

In the next post, I’m sharing our family’s standards of modesty. Hope to see you then!








Majestic Cross and Celtic Knot flexis from Lilla Rose.





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Your method of choosing a church to visit cracks me up. So perfectly God to make it the right one!

    Blessings to you!

    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did pray first! :) But I guess there was something about the length of the name. Not sure, but God's hand was on us. Many blessings to you, Laura.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I really appreciate your presence here! :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading this. It was sweet, and had humor! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is more fun when it's...well, fun. Hmmm, it sounded better in my head. :) Thanks so much for reading, Jaclyn.

      Delete
  4. I loved your story!! Isn't it wonderful how God uses even the uncomfortable circumstances to help us follow Him in modesty and finding a church. How we found our church 8 years ago was very uncomfortable circumstances too. I enjoy reading how someone was drawn to dress modestly. BTW...did I tell you that I love your picture in 'Part One?'

    Thanks for sharing this over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always interesting to me how many people expect being a Christian to be comfortable. You're right...that's how He works on us. Thank you, Judith, and thanks for your link-up. Love your blog!

      Delete
  5. "The pastor’s wife and daughter are here. And they’re wearing skirts!”
    Had to chuckle when I read that part, I really enjoy your style of writing and reading what you write about ;)

    Wow, God worked majorly in your life when the house sold so quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were amazed and overwhelmed with how quickly life moved that fall, but it was exciting because we knew God was orchestrating it all. Thank you, Bibi, for your encouragement!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)