Friday, June 28, 2013

We Finally Finished the Year! ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

 {On Fridays, I post about the highlights of our homeschooling week, usually with lots of photos. I hope something here inspires or encourages you, and thanks for visiting!}


Don’t daisies just make you smile? J

In our last week of homeschool this week… we dusted off the telescope and tried to observe the Super Moon on Sunday night. But…we’re in Indiana, not Big Sky Country, and it turned out to be a Super Dud. The pictures aren't even worth posting.


Well, at least the telescope was interesting.

Our last week of school has been busy with the extremes of tests and lots of wrap-up activity. Do you remember those days from when we were children in public school? One of the best days of the year was cleaning out the desk to take everything home. I wasn’t necessarily eager for the end of school, but I loved the sense of cleaning out and organizing as well as taking the at-school aura home with me for the summer.

What can I say? I used to be still am a school nerd. J

So, we’ve been sorting out and putting away used worktexts as well as cleaning out binders and putting papers to save into labeled folders. Putting boxes in the attic will wait until the cooler days of fall.

Our summer reading programs continue at a break-neck pace with each child trying to outdo the others.



Books aren’t just for reading!

{Just in case you’re wondering, my children do go outside. They’re out in the backyard now while I edit this post, and I'm going out in about two minutes. J}


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share… If you don’t have a summer reading program near you, make your own. Create your own prizes. 
  • Books from the thrift store
  • Trinkets from the dollar store
  • Coupons for eating out
  • Ice cream treats or popsicles
  • A movie night

Most children won’t care who gives the reward, just that they earned it.

On the blog this week… I was MIA for Monday’s post due to a lightning strike and lack of internet connection. L Wednesday I posted my apology and some information on a new Feedly button on my sidebar. Google Reader is disappearing, and I wanted to make sure you had another option available.

I’m grateful for… my forced absence from the online community earlier this week due to our lightning strike. Stay with me here…. I already knew it, but this absence only reinforced for me how much I appreciate you ladies here, on Facebook, and on your own blogs. I love to sit with a cup of something hot and have a cyber chat with you. Thanks for being there! Uh, I mean here. Well, you know what I mean. J

Have a wonderful and Spirit-filled weekend!







How was your week? Did you see the Super Moon? How’s the reading coming this summer?






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I love the little corner your daughter made with the books. How creative. I miss my homeschool years. Happiest ever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karla! So exciting to see you here! I agree with you about happiest ever years. When I was in high school, everyone said that those would be the best four years of my life. Then in college, those were supposed to be the best four years of my life. No way! These years, with my children here, are definitely the best so far.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your weekly wrap-ups, lightning and all. We did have a beautiful moon that night, but we often have beautiful moons. It was very bright and full. I would love a summer reading program, but our library is very Liberal. We really just had to stop going there for all of the bad things they showcased. Sad! I do so miss our outstanding library system that we had in Missouri. So glad you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, I read your blog post about your library. So discouraging! Of course, we've accumulated enough books here we could start our own. :)

      Delete
  3. We had storms so no moon. It's actually been a really stormy week and we just had the latest thunder and lightning with a downpour over lunch.

    I love the cleaning out feeling! I realized we are down to about 50 sheets of printer paper so I spent some time on Amazon ordering paper and pencils (those seem to disappear too). Now to get the kids to go through papers and get rid of some past projects they are done with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you throw away a lot of what the children do, Tristan? I have such a hard time deciding what to keep that I usually just keep it all. I hate to think what I'm going to have to go through to prepare a graduation open house! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the book fort. How creative! I guess you could say your kids get into their books. Mine do too. They love to read. My son really enjoys the Hardy Boys series. He doesn't have many of them, so we have to check them out from the library. He wants to have them in his own library, but it's a costly thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Rachel! Yes, literally, they get into their books! :) I wondered if anyone would comment on the number of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books we have. We picked up most of those at Half Price Books where they are typically marked at $3, but we didn't even have to pay the $3. The Half Price Books summer reading program used to give a $3 gift card every week that the children read a certain number of minutes. So, a couple of summers ago, we were making weekly trips to the store to turn in their minutes and each child would get $3 of free books. You can see how that worked out for the oldest girl and her Nancy Drews! Now it's changed, and they each get a $5 gift card for reading 300 minutes in June and another 300 minutes in July. It's still great to have free books, though!

      Delete
  5. I love the reading-nook made of books - ingenious! it looks like you've had a lovely and well-balanced week. My blog was down for 24 hours this week and I missed it - I can't imagine being completely offline! Glad you're sorted now :-)
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucinda. The weekend is definitely ending better than it started. :-)

      Delete
  6. Ha! Ha! LOVE the photo with the books and the feet sticking out! That's awesome! (I wish we were having some competitive reading around here! :wink:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can get so creative I don't know where the ideas come from! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend, Jessy!

      Delete
  7. I am your neighbor at Darlene's place. I love the photos and I admire those who can home school. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, neighbor! Many blessings to you today!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)