Monday, June 10, 2013

Why I Like Skirts

So you’ve read my story in Parts One and Two, and I’ve shared my personal standards. Through these posts, you’ve probably picked up on my enthusiasm for wearing skirts. {And, hopefully, you’re not getting bored with all of this writing about ME, like I am.} 


I have always enjoyed the swish of the fabric around my legs, the distinct femininity, the variety of choices, even as a little girl. Today is just a simple list of why I like skirts.

My husband likes them, and I like pleasing him. It wasn’t always this way, both the him liking them and the my liking of pleasing him, but we’ve both had a heart transplant. {Hope you got that. J}

They are more comfortable than pants or jeans. Jeans always seemed to be riding up in places where I didn’t want bunches of fabric or binding me around the waist. Skirts allow for freer movement.

No matter how casual my shirt or shoes, I feel feminine. This is a huge plus, since I’m not a girly girl. J The femininity, then, reminds me that I am the wife, not the buddy {as one Facebook friend mentioned – you know who you are, and thanks!} and that I don’t wear the pants in the family. 

People can tell we’re different, and they often ask where we go to church. This easily opens up an opportunity to witness, something this shy introvert appreciates.

The swish or fwap of my skirt reminds me that I’m being obedient to the Lord’s calling. Obedience begets obedience, and it makes other issues easier.

Skirts keep me off the slippery slope. I could make the argument that loose, pink flowered capri pants are modest and feminine. {And, believe me, I’ve thought this many times.} But how loose is loose? Where is the line? And once the line is drawn, then how easy is it to move it? The next pair of pants I buy might be a little tighter. I could rationalize that that’s the style now and I couldn’t find anything with a looser cut. You can see where that slippery slope could take me.

They can be extremely simple to sew. Extremely.

Fabric choices and colors abound…cotton, knit, corduroy, silk, satin, denim, bright colors, blue jean colors, embroidered, floral, stripes, polka dots. And for some reason these are all acceptable when it’s a skirt. J

A modest skirt on my teen daughter sends a signal to a young man. Boys who appreciate the modesty will be drawn to her, and boys who ridicule the modesty will stay away.


Whew! We’re almost done with the series. I appreciate prayers as I write the rest of the series. It grieves me that we let clothing become so divisive, and I pray that these posts are taken in the spirit in which they are intended. Not judgmental or preach-y, but simply an answer to the many messages I’ve received asking why.








Why do you like skirts?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

35 comments:

  1. Love this! Some of these reasons are the things that are pulling me toward skirts, even though I don't necessarily think there is a clear Biblical mandate...Thanks so much for sharing your heart in this. I know it was hard for you to do, and took some bravery to put yourself out there on this topic. I know that it's an encouragement to others though--those who already wear skirts, and those who are searching and seeking to understand. I appreciate that you haven't been judgmental in your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Crystal. Just keep praying (I know you are), and the Lord will lead you. Many blessings to you as you search!

      Delete
  2. I'm really enjoying this series and look forward to your new posts! I don't always wear skirts, but when I do I notice all the things you talked about in your post. I even feel more gentle and kind, and closer to God! As if I am "dressed properly" to worship in my daily tasks. Thanks so much keep up the writing about modesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Ashley. Isn't it interesting how what we wear can affect our attitude, just like an itchy tag in the back of a shirt can make us cranky? :)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about the heart transplant. My husband was telling someone he worked with a few years ago about how he was not the same as he used to be. They ask what happened and he said he had a heart transplant.

    I have always wore dresses or skirts my whole life. Can't imagine wearing anything else.

    GOD BLESS!!!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many blessings to you, Charlotte! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  4. What a difference this one decision has made in our home. After lots of study, prayer, and girl talk, I've chosen to wear skirts because I feel I am called to "decided modesty and distinctive femininity." This has been a huge blessing to our marriage, and does indeed quietly call attention to a commitment of faith. It's a powerful reminder to put the Lord and then my husband first in even the smallest decisions.

    Meghan, you've really blessed us by sharing this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Decided modesty and distinctive femininity." Love it! Thank you so much, Victoria, for adding your wisdom to this series.

      Delete
    2. I can't take any credit. I read it in a sermon from Trinity Montville Church (trinitymontville.org) "Validating the Gospel in Modesty." It's powerful, and his words really spoke to me.

      Delete
  5. Nope, it's not boring me!! I enjoy reading how others think about having standards that are similar to my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really starting to feel ego-centric to me, so thank you for your confirmation, Juf! I just pray that it is helpful and encouraging.

      Delete
  6. We dress for church on sundays and modestly all the time, but I do enjoy wearing skirts/dresses during the week occasionally for a lot of the reasons you mention. I appreciate your sharing your reasons for wearing dresses. My mother wore dresses most of the time, pencil skirts just below the knee, for a few of the reasons you mention; femininity, modesty, reverent feeling... I used to think she was over doing it only wearing jeans once a week, but I'm realizing the benefits now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard thing to admit that our mothers are right, isn't it? :) I love pencil skirts, as long as they're not too tight. Thanks for your honesty, Tiffany!

      Delete
  7. I like the comment you made about the modest skirt on your teen daughter. We try to dress modestly, but don't wear skirts all the time. I like to wear skirts and have plans to make matching denim skirts for the girls and I hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matching is so cute! I'm glad my 13yo hasn't grown out of that yet. Thank you so much for reading, Suanna.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Val, for taking the time out of your busyness to comment! :)

      Delete
  9. I love wearing skirts for many of the same reasons you do as well. I would wear them all the time, but my husband prefers me to wear pants so I only wear skirts about half the time. My mom wears skirts everyday though. The last time I saw her wear pants was when I was under the age of 10 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah, for sharing your experience. :)

      Delete
  10. I love the last comment about boys. I hadn't thought of it as attracting those who appreciate modesty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just another plus...and a BIG one for this nervous mama of three beautiful girls! :)

      Delete
  11. We don't wear skirts all the time, and don't feel compelled to.

    BUT...I have stuck with skirts/dresses for periods of time in the past, and found them to have some of the same benefits you listed. I just thought I'd toss that out there in case you have any other readers who might benefit from a short-term "skirts experiment." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel, for reading and sharing your circumstances. I appreciate your time in commenting. :)

      Delete
  12. Great post Meghan! I totally agree with all of your points, though I'm not an exclusive skirt wearer, I love the way I feel in a dress or skirt. It is so decidedly feminine. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Decidedly feminine." Wonderful way to say it. These days, it is a choice, isn't it? Thanks, Heather.

      Delete
  13. I love skirts too! They are so much more attractive than trousers, I think!
    Emily

    http://encouragementforbusymums.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you call them "trousers" they sound particularly masculine. :) I can just hear your beautiful New Zealand accent. Thanks, Emily!

      Delete
  14. I love that a skirt says your feminine! I have taught my daughter this is a great thing to be! I am a new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole. Going now to see your blog.... :)

      Delete
  15. I loved what you said about boys.
    "A modest skirt on my teen daughter sends a signal to a young man. Boys who appreciate the modesty will be drawn to her, and boys who ridicule the modesty will stay away."
    It is 100% true! I went to a Christian camp last summer and I was one of the 2 oddballs who wore skirts all the time. :) I had so much respect from young men at the camp. Always polite, and always kind.

    Yesterday I got 2 new skirts and I agree that they are modest and feminine. And they don't "bunch" in bad spots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful testimony, Moriah! Thanks for your time here in commenting, and I hope to see you again. :)

      Delete
  16. I too wear skirts only.. My reason for the change was I wanted to be honoured by those around me and especially my husband.. Honoured rather than looked at as an object.. And not to be for another's viewing pleasure.. Except I did it withOUT my husbands blessing! Infact I went against it.. Why? Cos God was calling me to and in the end he liked it too..
    What came with it was respect, honour, feminity and a host of other gifts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so much enjoying these terrific testimonies! It seems to me that if God calls us, he'll work on our husbands as well. Thanks, Amy, for sharing your story. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  17. Thank you for this series and I will pray for you as you write the rest of the posts. This series has been a blessing and I am glad that you shared them over at WholeHearted Home. There has been a lot of interest in them, so even though you might get some negative responses (though I have seen none)that should encourage you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is encouraging, Judith, and it's been a wonderful discussion. I have no difficulty with disagreement (law school helped with that!). It's just that I've seen things get nasty on other blogs, so I wanted the tone here to be kept...civil. Thank you so much for your link-up and your prayers. LOVE your blog!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)