Monday, July 1, 2013

My Daughter’s Modest Monday ~ Wear Bike Shorts Under a Skirt {and Series Wrap-Up}

With running and bicycle-riding and monkey bars, it can be hard for a little girl to stay modest in a skirt.
But that doesn’t mean she has to give up her girly skirts or dresses.


During Little House on the Prairie times, girls stayed modest with bloomers/pantalettes/knickerbockers underneath their skirts. I’m not delving into the history of women’s clothing here, since I don’t know much about it. I’m just borrowing the idea of a pair of shorts underneath a skirt or dress to maintain proper coverage.

Of course, they don’t have to be plain shorts. What about leggings that come just below the knee with a bit of lace? In the winter, how about leggings that come down to the ankle, maybe stripes or a pattern that coordinates with the dress? Super cute!


What the 7yo is wearing ~

Purple stripe ruffle jumper ~ thrift store on half-off day {I took tucks in the straps to pull it up a bit.}

White tee-shirt ~ hand-me-down from older sisters

Bike shorts {not shown but they come down to just above the knee} ~ Wal-Mart for $4

Pink sandals ~ Lands’ End last year {A Sears about a half hour from us has a Lands’ End department. I think we got these last summer for something like 40% off. I was getting tired of buying cheap sandals that would fall apart within a month.}


Purple sparkle barrette ~ We’ve had this for so long that I can’t remember where we got it. J

~~~~~

I have had such a good time getting to know several of you a lot better during this series on modesty. Maybe someday we can sit down together with a cup of something hot and chat about marriage and children and faith. I have definitely been blessed to know that my story has encouraged many of you.

I’m all out of words {for the moment!}, so the series is at an end. But if there are any questions you would like for me to address, send me an email. I don’t know that I’ll have any answers, but I hope to have understanding, compassion, and prayer. J For now, here are all the posts with links.


I haven’t been sure of continuing with My Daughters’ Modest Monday posts, but it seems that so many of you are alone in your circumstances. My prayer that these posts be encouraging is being answered with a resounding yes. Would you like that I continue?

As always, thank so much for reading! J








What do you do to keep your little girls modest for playtime?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Good Morning Mrs. Carver!
    Your modesty posts have been very encouraging to me as I am alone in my conviction of dresses/skirts only. I'm a single young woman and I pray that one day I will be married with children of my own and through learning from other mothers via blog world I will at least have an idea of how you handle certain issues not only on modesty but other things as well.

    I use biker shorts in the summer and leggings in the winter under my skirts. I like the extra protection it gives especially when I ride my horse or roller coasters. :)
    Thank you for befriending me on Facebook (im Bekah if it was hard to figure out ;P) and im so thankful that your little boy is doing ok.

    Many blessings,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Bekah, for the shorts under the skirt for roller coasters. I appreciate your comments and suggestions here, and thanks for praying for my 2yo! We were pretty nervous for a while, but the x-ray reveals that all is well. Many blessings to you today!

      Delete
  2. O, wat a sweet girl. Here Dutch girls wear short leggings under their skirts in summer. That's fine with jumping on the trampoline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very necessary time for leggings! Greetings to you, dear friend!

      Delete
  3. My 5 year old daughter is not allowed to wear dresses in the summer (in the winter, she always had thick tights on) without bike shorts underneath. I love the ones with the lace at walmart this year and am stocking up for her. Last year, I couldn't find reasonably priced shorts anywhere so I ended up making her some which I now sell in my Etsy shop as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know the stores don't always have appropriate shorts, Hannah. I think I better get back and buy some bigger sizes to stock up for the future! :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Meghan! Just checking in to tell you one more time how grateful I am that you followed your heart in posting about modesty. What wonderful changes that little bit of encouragement has brought to our home and to my heart, as well as my husband's.

    Skirts at work has presented a problem - even the longest can be very immodest in some circumstances, so my compromise has been modest scrub pants with a longer top to cover the girlie bits - but I have found that, outside of work, my skirts aren't inconvenient at all.

    For what it's worth, I enjoy Modest Monday! I wear bike shorts under my skirts sometimes, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria! Thank you so much for your words of kind encouragement all along the way. It is a blessing to me to know that you were/are encouraged.

      I hadn't thought of wearing shorts myself, but that's not a bad idea. :)

      Delete
  5. We look forward to the Modest Monday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I currently have a lot of Modesty Bloomers in my etsy shop! Feel free to check them out!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/mennonitemom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just linked from Raising Homemakers. I will check out the other posts. The Children's Place has "cartwheel shorts" like bloomers for bigger girls, but very short. This year we have cut off our winter pj pants, most had hole in the knees anyway, to wear under skirts for outside play=)....best part, FREE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get distressed with so many holes in the knees because it seems that there isn't much that can be done. My patches just don't hold. But to cut them off and wear them under skirts is genius! Thank you for a terrific idea, Janet!

      Delete
  8. These posts have been so encouraging to both my daughter and myself and we'd love to see them continue. I am going to read the other parts of the series that I may have missed. Thank you for speaking out for something in a world where it is discouraged and frowned upon. That way we know we are not alone! Many blessings, friend, Lisa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much appreciate your encouragement and support here, Lisa! I'm going to be taking a break from these posts just for the month of July to post about going back to homeschool. Then, in August, back to My Daughters' Modest Monday. I'm glad these have been helpful, and you're right. We need community. :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this over at WholeHearted Wednesday last week. My daughters always wore bike shorts under dresses. It works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting your link-up, Judith. :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)