Monday, July 29, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ At a Bridal Shower

The white gloves lay pressed and pristine in the drawer. I remember reverently removing them, turning them about to admire them before I gingerly pulled them on my twelve-year-old hands. I would listen, enraptured, as my mother told me about her and my father’s newlywed days living on the 46th floor of Marina Towers in downtown Chicago. For an afternoon of shopping, she would don her walking suit, heels, veiled hat, and white gloves. That was the 1950's.

We’ve come a long way, baby.

All the way to jammies and slippers at Wal-Mart.

I’m not against comfort. {But please don't wear your jammies and slippers outside the house!} I’ve written before about my husband’s love of jeans and tee-shirts

But there are times when something in between your favorite, perhaps-somewhat-raggedy denim and white gloves is necessary.

My husband’s grandmother’s sister’s daughter {got that? J} is getting married in October, and the family had a bridal shower for her this past Saturday. With all of the variations on acceptable clothing now, how do you find what’s appropriate?

We’ve tried to find some middle ground. For weddings and funerals, we dress in church clothes. It’s just more respectful. But a shower is a bit more casual.

Our one guideline is simple. No denim or tennis shoes.

This usually means something cotton and comfortable, so we don’t look really dressy, but without denim we also look “nice.”

What the daughters wore to the bridal shower ~


The 13yo ~


Blue checked jumper ~ thrift store
White tee-shirt ~ Target
Navy blue Mary Jane’s ~ Payless buy-one-get-one-half-off



Lilla Rose flexi ~ Oblong bun in large Classic Etched Cross


The 11yo ~



Beige skirt ~ Christopher & Banks brand found at the thrift store
Purple and beige striped shirt ~ Kohl’s sale with additional coupon
Brown Mary Jane’s ~ Payless buy-one-get-one-half-off


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Half-up with a twist in medium Celtic Knot Brown


The 7yo ~



Floral sundress/jumper ~ hand-me-down from a friend
White tee-shirt ~ Wal-Mart
Pink sandals ~ Lands End sale last year {Can you see her toes trying to hang off the end? J}


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Oblong bun in medium Cameo Appearance








How do you dress for a bridal shower?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Your daughters look very nice and feminine.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing young girls growing up with Modesty.

    Iris♥
    Feminine Modesty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghan, I'm your neighbor at Mama Moments. All I can say is Amen to not wearing your jammies out of the house, LOL. We were at a nice grocery story yesterday and my husband was commenting that he stopped after church to change out of his nice clothes and put a t-shirt on. We were going to do yard work right after. He was feeling a little under dressed until he saw a woman walk in looking as if she had just rolled out of bed. When did we go here? Your daughters look lovely. Kim @ Pouring Down Like Rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been one of those transitions that happened under the radar, I think, Kim. Just suddenly, it's okay. Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  4. Our rule for modest dress is much the same as yours. When our daughters were in high school and we lived in Southern California, the "style" was to go out (even to church youth activities) in jammies and slippers. One evening our youngest daughter (now almost 29) came out in her jammies and slippers ready to go to her youth activity. I remember my husband's response "no member of this family goes out in their jammies." She went in her room, changed and never went tried to go "out" in her jammies again. Getting the newspaper on the driveway in the morning is the extent to my wearing my jammies outside of the house. Even then, I run to get the paper...my jammies are modest but they are for inside only. We also have taught our children to get dressed as soon as they get up. I think that staying in jammies too long during the day makes one feel and act lazy. Your daughters looked just lovely for the bridal shower. Hope you all have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would run, too, Deb! :) Thanks for the thoughtful comment.

      Delete
  5. The worst looking I've ever been in walmart was that time we were mulching and had to go to town for more mulch and needed a tool. I felt so embarrassed that day because I was filthy and didn't see the point in changing because I would just get filthy again.....
    Any way, I've actually seen worse than pj's in Walmart if you can believe that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of funny to see people with dirt on them buying gardening supplies or guys with greasy hands buying car repair supplies. It's obvious they're in the middle of something and just needed one or two more items to complete their task. I don't ever think of them as inappropriate, just hard workers trying to cross something off their list. I bet no one even noticed, Kendra. :)

      Delete
  6. They always look SO lovely! I wish you lived close by, so my daughter could have friends who dressed and looked like her! :-) One of these days, we're going to figure out how to get together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Lisa, let's get together. If you're ever heading west, let me know!

      Delete
  7. Such lovely young ladies :) They have such beautiful smiles, their sweet spirits shine through.Please tell them thank you for sharing their modest fashions with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I definitely will tell them. They enjoy coming up with outfits and places and poses for each Monday, but I'm afraid we probably need to go shopping soon or we're run out of posts! :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful young ladies - and what a legacy you're providing for your own children, but also for all those who see them. Sometimes we can make more of an impact in just being who we are, than by what we say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Lori. I love it when people ask us WHERE we go to church, not IF we go to church. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  9. Ha! You crack me up! These are sweet little outfits...I love your oldest's Mary Janes! I was very UNladylike when my husband and I got married and I wore jeans, a ratty sweatshirt, and old floppy high tops to my OWN bridal shower! My mom, knowing me well, took the time to buy me a NEW t-shirt to put on before we started so I would at least look clean!!! So funny! ;) Now we love to dress up for special events like showers and parties---what a great reason to look fancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying really hard to imagine you in jeans and a ratty sweatshirt, Sarah. Can't do it. :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)