Friday, July 5, 2013

Make a Scavenger Hunt for a Rainy Day ~ Homeschool Journal by the 13yo

Hi everyone! Holly here, or, as you probably know me, “the 13yo.” J

In Mom’s life this week…she’s been crazy busy getting school ready for next year, highlighting lesson plans, hole-punching, organizing binders.

It’s been a rainy week in our stretch of the world, and Mom doesn’t like us to watch DVDs all day long. So I’m taking over the blog today to show you…


My favorite thing this week… the scavenger hunt I did for my sisters and brothers. I thought your children might like it, too. (And Mom said it would be good typing practice.)


I started by writing out rhyming clues based on what we have in our house.

On some things used for meals,
You will find a set of wheels.

There are lots of notes here,
Look for a little sphere.

Some green coupons that fly through air,
You will find a little bear.

The frisbees are actually coupons to a local pizza place that we earned in the library's summer reading program.

In a plant bushy and green
Is a note barely seen.

Next to a tree, green and tall,
Is a clue not seen at all.

In a book you’ll find a tree.
The book is titled Eyes to See.

In the sofa in the den
Is a paper telling when.

It's a doll sofa! Tricky....

When is in the clock,
In the one that says ‘tick tock’.

Where pencils are found and scissors too.
Look for a book under the glue.

In our Family Home you’ll find a clue.
Maybe something else there too.

Can you see the clue?

There is something in the pot,
That’s on something sometimes hot.

In a place where you put clothes,
Look in a shoe. It holds some toes.

I gathered up the objects in the clues and then hid them in the appropriate places. I had twelve clues and four brothers and sisters participating. The 2yo can’t really do it, so he just carried the bag to collect the clues.


Socks with sandals? The 2yo must have dressed himself.

I told them they would take turns, solving three each, and I hid the clues from harder to easier so that the older sister and brother would find the most difficult clues.

The biggest problem was keeping my oldest brother, the 9yo, from rushing around and solving them all before everyone could take their turn!

I actually had to physically restrain him. Not that I minded....

So, I think, then, that…

My brothers’ and sisters’ favorite thing this week was…the scavenger hunt!


On the blog this week…Mom wanted me to tell you that Monday’s post was another My Daughter’s Modest Monday. This one was with my sister, the 7yo, in her purple sparkly jumper with bike shorts underneath for added modesty.

Wednesday, Mom blogged about What We Need for a Whiz-Bang Fourth of July. You can’t escape the patriotic devotion in our house. Mom cries when she hears the national anthem.


Blessings!
Holly J


How was your week? Have you done a scavenger hunt? What were some of your clues?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom


Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. Meghan, I love the indoor scavenger hunt idea. How fun! I'm sharing on Facebook.

    Your daughter did an excellent job again! You must be proud!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only the official photographer, but it was a lot of fun to watch their wheels turns as they figured out the clues. Definitely proud, Keri!

      Delete
  2. Such a cute idea. Smart girl!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to keep the kids busy. Love the photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photography was my only contribution here, so thanks, Laura!

      Delete
  4. Just goes to show, learning CAN be fun!
    Love it!!

    (my husband wears socks with sandals, too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely fun, Christine, for the 13yo and the siblings. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  5. we sorta had a scavenger hunt yesterday. we were out looking for grease pencils and all the office stores were closed early since it was the 4th of July. we finally went into a home center store and they didn't really know what we were looking for when we asked, so my family split up in 2's looking form them. We didn't find exactly what we wanted but found some china markers (they are like grease pencils) that will work for now until we get the ones we actually want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You struck on something there! Write the grocery list in rhyme and then send the Bigs out to get the items. Hmm... sounds fun!

      Delete
  6. Meghan! Great job! Wonderful creativity. Keep up the good work!
    I do scavenger hunts with my grandchildren. They are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, it was all the 13yo. I just provide the opportunity and the encouragement. :)

      Delete
  7. Such a neat idea! Looks like a lot of fun. I liked the little clue poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that she rhymed all of it. Thanks, Jackie!

      Delete
  8. Holly - I loved this blog entry from you. So very well done! And for the clue in your "Family Home" I had to "scan" the picture twice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took the children quite a while to find that one! Thanks, Alis.

      Delete
  9. What fun! My younger kids would love for the older ones to do this for them. I just might have to assign them to for a summer school project next week.
    betty jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! What a terrific Big Sis, you are, Holly for putting this fun activity together for you siblings. I'm impressed with all the rhyming and the creative hidey-holes. And with the patience you showed with the younger ones.
    We've enjoyed scavenger hunts around our home, but the big sisters who created them are off and married now, so you've reminded me that my 12 year old daughter may need to step up and fill that roll now!
    Thank you for sharing this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Sears. Have a good time with your scavenger hunt!

      ~ Holly

      Delete
  11. Holly, I am SO very impressed! Wow! You put much time and effort into this and it shows. The rhymes were so clever, as were your hiding places. :-) I am going to show my older boys and perhaps inspire them to do something like this for my younger ones. Hope you have a great rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe they could make a clue about the piggies since your daughter loves them so much. Have fun!

      Delete
  12. Holly, this was awesome! You're a great sister and event planner! I love the poem-clues and the pictures of your siblings. Very well done!
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Reed. I never thought of myself as an event planner. I just thought it was fun! ~ Holly

      Delete
  13. We love scavenger hunts!!! This would be awesome! :-) Visiting from Far Above Rubies.
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't done many, but I think we'll do more in the future since this one was so much fun. Thanks for visiting, Stacy!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)