Monday, July 15, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ Preventing Skin Cancer

It’s the middle of July already. Can you believe it?

Today’s photos of my daughters are straight from the beautifully landscaped atrium of my doctor’s office … my surgical dermatologist’s office. Friday afternoon I was treated to a good deal of scraping to remove a nickel-sized area of basal cell carcinoma. I’m grateful that it was shallow and (somewhat) easily removed, but my weekend could have been more enjoyable without that appointment.


It is true ~ I have a rather fair complexion. I always burn in the sun. Never, in my entire life, have I been able to achieve an even tan.

But my (adopted) mother is darker toned. She tans easily and consistently. Yet, in the past ten or so years, she has had rather deep basal cell carcinomas removed from her calves as well as a potentially life-threatening melanoma removed from her face.

No one is safe from the ravaging effects of sun damage.

Please forgive me if I sound like I’m preaching, but covering up is an excellent, doctor-recommended way to avoid sun damage. Here’s a suggestion from a handout from my doctor’s office: “Wear a hat and long-sleeved shirt whenever possible in the sun. Tightly woven fabrics offer greater sun protection than loosely woven ones.”

Alternatively, it doesn’t take much time or effort to spritz on a bit of high SPF sunblock. Tuck a can in your vehicle or your bag so you’re not caught without sun protection. Many lotions, foundations, and lip balms are made with sunblock as well. Just this past weekend, I found two new scents of Chapstick SPF15 ~ raspberry crème and green apple. Yum! J

All right. Thank you for your indulgence. I care about you, and I don’t want you to find yourself perched on an exam table while a doctor with magnifying lenses attached to his glasses scrapes several layers of your skin off and then you have to care for the wound while it heals.

Can you tell I am passionate about skin protection? Are we good? J

Okay. On to the fashion show!


The 13yo ~

Denim peasant skirt ~ Sewn from pre-ruffled fabric from Wal-Mart with only one seam needed in the back.
Peasant shirt ~ Kohl’s last year on sale with additional coupon percentage off. It’s a breezy lightweight cotton and quite comfortable in the heat. {The sleeves are supposed to stay rolled up to ¾ length, but after washing they always sag.}
Turquoise sandals ~ Lands End catalog sale. We splurged on sandals last year, and so far they’ve held up well.




The 11yo ~

Denim skirt ~ Thrift store. Always a bonus when the pocket will carry a book or two! J
Striped ¾ length sleeve shirt ~ Kohl’s last year on sale with additional coupon percentage off.
Brown Mary Jane’s ~ Hand-me-down from 13yo, perhaps originally purchased at Payless on a buy-one-get-one-half-off offer.


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Oblong bun in L Freestyle Princess Tiara {The bun is a little off-center, but she’s learning to fix her hair herself. A pretty clip motivates her more than a plain ponytail holder.}


The 7yo ~

White eyelet ruffle skirt ~ Hand-me-down through two sisters and originally purchased at Wal-Mart.
Striped shirt ~ Lands End brand purchased at thrift store. It’s a very lightweight cotton that LE sells specifically for summer wearing.
Pink sandals ~ Lands End sale.
White hair fluff ~ Craft fair.








Are you vigilant in preventing sun damage to your skin?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom 1-Minute Bible Love Notes




Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Don't know if I can do long sleeve but I am pretty adamant about putting on sunblock (50+) and wearing a hat when I am out and about.

    Like your daughters outfits, too. ☺

    Iris
    The Blue Birdhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, I don't always do long sleeves either, but I thought it was interesting that my dermatologist recommended it.

      And I love your hats! Tres chic! :)

      Delete
  2. The Land's End sandals look so comfy - and it doesn't hurt to splurge every now and then, especially on good shoes so they'll last a while!
    Love your daughters' outfits, including the books ;)

    Old Timey people used to always wear long sleeves in the summer, because it not only gave sun protection, but it keeps the skin cooler.... or at least so they said. Not sure if it really does, where we live it's so muggy everything seems hot, sleeves or no sleeves haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the muggy part, Bibi, and I'm not sure long sleeves help at all with that either. :) With direct sunlight though, I feel a noticeable difference. The very first time I ever heard someone say that was long before the Lord led us to modesty. At a previous church, we knew a family who were missionaries to Kenya. When they first went, he would slather on sunblock continuously throughout the day. Eventually, he learned that a lightweight long sleeve cotton shirt was much more effective because it keeps the sunlight from beating down directly on your skin. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that my dermatologist's office (who has no interest in modesty, per se) would promote covering up. If you prefer sunblock, do whatever works.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that you are proactive with your health. Thank God for sunblock.

    Your family is always dressed adorably.

    Blessings!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the 11yo often has a book in her pocket. That was the first thing I noticed. I too always have a book in my pocket but mine is the kindle app on my phone. :-) Since finding your blog you have inspired me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kindle app is always with me as well! :-)

      Delete
  5. This is a very important post! Thank you. Skin cancer runs in my hubby's family and he had a skin cancer scare a few years back so we use sun screen and try to cover up. Protection from skin cancer is another added plus of being modest! I also love those beautiful hair clips. You have such a lovely family and inspire me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I love that you shop at thrift stores and that your daughter carries a book around. I always have a book in my purse too! My books always look pretty beat up by the time I am finished reading them, but they are just well-loved. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb, for such kind words. My daughter's book also get a little worn in her pockets, but I'm glad she's reading. Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. Very cute skirts. I love to wear skirts on hot summer days as well. Visiting from Christian Mommy Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're much cooler with the air flow, aren't they? Thanks for visiting, Lindsey! :)

      Delete
  8. The garden is beautiful! Your daughters' skirts are very nice too!! Thanks for linking up over at Wholehearted Wednesdays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That garden was one of the most tranquil spots I've seen in a long time. Of course, it was in the perfect spot for people who need it...in a medical professional building. Thanks so much for your link-up, Judith!

      Delete
  9. You always think it will never happen to you...until it does. That's me. I have always been so lazy about sunblock - but I'm about to do an Avon order...I'll be ordering sunblock and try to be more conscious about applying it.

    I'm glad you're making time for your Modest posts...I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Rosilind, and thanks for your encouragement! :)

      Delete
  10. While I agree with your modesty the sun does not cause skin cancer. Please google "the sun does not cause skin cancer" the first 4-5 links are really informative and from trusted sources.

    1. Radiation from the sun that causes skin cancer is not blocked by sunscreen. Sunscreen however does block the rays that our skin lets in to manufacture Vitamin D. Vitamin D is the body's number one cancer fighting creation. God created everything perfectly in balance.

    2. Since the advent of the idea that the sun causes cancer and for the past 30 years or so people have been lathering on sunblock yet skin cancer rates have only increased (dramatically) whereas in the days 100+ years ago (think Little House on the Prairie) when one worked in the fields all day long no one got skin cancer. Also modern day peoples like the Amish rarely if ever get cancer of any kind let alone skin cancer and they are in the sun all day long working on their fields.

    3. Why would God create a sun that gives us cancer yet then not allow us to develop sunblock for thousands of years? It makes no sense. God created the sun to help people not to harm them. If the sun was harmful we would have stories all throughout history of people developing skin cancer yet we do not. It's a modern disease.

    4. Sunscreens are loaded with toxic chemicals that are known carcinogens. These chemicals increase the likelihood of developing several types of cancer including the place where they are slathered on - the skin.

    My mother died of melanoma last year. She never sun tanned and was scared of any and all sun exposer because she was very fair. Her melanoma started in her colon at age 60. It was never on the outside of her body and it never traveled to the outside of her body. She certainly never sun tanned her colon. She did however not eat God's diet (she ate a lot of junk food like candy bars, rarely ate fruits and veggies) and she used sunscreen nearly every day of her adult life.

    I don't say these things in a mean spirited way so please don't misunderstand my meaning. I say these with all love and good intention of spreading the truth about God's creation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your time spent here. I did google your phrase and came up with several personal blogs written by people without any reliable medical training. My biological grandfather (now deceased three years ago at the age of 94) had a "chemical peel" many years ago because of several pre-cancerous spots, and his dermatologist said it was due to too much hiking without a hat in his youth. My (adopted) mother's dermatologist said it was too much sun exposure in her younger years. My own dermatologists (the first left the practice to go elsewhere), both highly respected within the Indiana University Health system, have said my skin has been damaged by too much sun exposure. We may have to agree to disagree about that. :)

    I agree with you that sunblock is loaded with chemicals. It is definitely not my preferred method of sun protection. But it is not sunblock that has caused my skin cancer. I had repeated and severe sun burns throughout my youth and college years due to a complete lack of sunblock. One sunburn was so bad that I fainted. While I agree with eating healthy, no amount of fruits and vegetables can prevent the sun from literally burning my skin.

    I also appreciate your point that people 100+ years did not have the problems with skin cancer that we do. That is because they covered up -- long sleeves and hats or sunbonnets, as the Amish continue to do today. That is also the number one prevention recommended by my dermatologist.

    Isn't it also probable that, in that time when people were still covering up, they stayed out of the sun during "the heat of the day"? I heard my grandmother use that phrase many times. They sat in the shade or the breezeway and sewed or shelled peas.

    It is interesting to me that our varying shades of skin color are loosely grouped into rather specific areas of the world. Those peoples with extra melanin and thus protection from the sun live in parts of the world where the sun is more intense. My biological family originates half from Germany and half from the Scandinavian countries, areas of the world with significantly less sun. I would roast in Venezuela, whereas my Venezuelan friend, who has skin the shade of a wonderful summer tan, rather enjoys the intensity of the sun.

    Well, now I'm off on a tangent, but thank you for bringing up some interesting discussion points. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)