Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What We Need for a Whiz-Bang Fourth of July


We don’t need matching patriotic dresses…although they’re fun and pretty.


We don’t need star spangled desserts with sprinkles or blueberries and strawberries lined up like little soldiers…although I’d be the first in line for a piece.


We don’t need special print-outs for our children to color a cartoon Uncle Sam in red, white, and blue…although my children do enjoy that nearly every year.


One of my favorite stories that my mom tells from her childhood is similar, I’m sure, to many you’ve heard before. Her oldest brother, more than ten years older than her, was one of many who sacrificed and served in World War II overseas. At the end of his term of service, after a long journey home, the ship docked in the darkest middle of the night watch. No cheering crowds greeted him. No sweetheart to gather in his embrace. No flag unfurled at his arrival. But the lack of those accolades did not deter, and he did what so many others had done before him. On his knees, he kissed the precious ground of the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

That sounds foreign to us, us forty-somethings and younger. But I’m able to be here blogging and sharing the gospel because of that service.

What we need for a whiz-bang Fourth of July is devotion.

 

Devotion to the values and ideals that formed this incredible country of ours.


Love for God.
Love for family.
Love for others.
A strong work ethic.
Gentlemanliness and femininity.


Practical and God-honoring education.
Gratitude.
Selflessness.
Sacrifice.


Independent thinking.
Truth.
Justice.
The straight and narrow path.
Freedom to worship, to pray, to think, to decide.



Where does your devotion lie this Fourth of July?

“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.” ~ Psalm 33:12


God bless America!






What would you add to the list of values and ideals?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket Life In Bloom 1-Minute Bible Love Notes


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. I love this post!! And I love those pretty dresses, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karla, and thanks for following! Have a wonderful holiday! :)

      Delete
  2. This post is not only relevant now, just a day before Independence Day, but every day, Meghan. I love it! It truly resonated with me and reminded me that I shouldn't take for granted my freedoms; someone made a sacrifice for them. That is what I need to teach my kids, not that the 4th is when we shoot fireworks and make icecream!

    Thanks! I'm sharing your post on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents were born during the Great Depression and grew up during WWII -- very patriotic! We had fireworks and Mom loved ice cream, but sacrifice for our freedoms was ingrained in me during my childhood. Now we carry that on to our children and pray they pick it up as well. Thanks, Keri!

      Delete
  3. Very true!!! Only in HIM do we have true freedom.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:36

      Another great verse for Independence Day. Thanks for jogging my memory, Charlotte!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, thank you, Meghan! You spoke my heart in this post. So very true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Jackie. Have a wonderful and blessed Independence Day!

      Delete
  5. I so agree!!! This is my favorite pin of the day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for pinning! Hope you had a terrific Fourth! :)

      Delete
  6. Hello - I love this post and totally agree! I have a brand new blog after taking my old blog private due to some cyber-security issues. Would love to have you visit, comment and follow along! (I am also following you on FB). Happy 4th!
    http://dayinthelife2013.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow, Deb, and I hope you had an amazing celebration of our country's independence and freedoms today! :)

      Delete
  7. Love how you combined so many elements in this post, Meghan. Thanks for these reminders about the true meaning of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail, for your kind words, and thanks for your link-up. I found a few new blogs there.

      Delete
  8. Yes!!

    Thanks for sharing this over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love this! What a great message. So often the true meaning of our holidays becomes lost in all of the fun celebration. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)