Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wife and Mom, You’ve Already Won

I swiped the wet cloth over the counter, a welcome lightness stealing over me as I listened to the garage door go up. Reinforcements had arrived.

After checking on the location and activity of my six children, I stepped out into the garage. I tucked a few loose strands of hair behind my ears and straightened my shirt hem, ready to smile for my husband. I checked my front. I wasn’t stained from children’s wayward sticky fingers or getting too close to the peanut butter knife, but I wished my sock didn’t have a hole in the toe. There just hadn’t been time to shop.

My husband ambled down the driveway to retrieve the mail, probably savoring the cooler temperatures we had been enjoying. As he turned to begin the ascent to the door, a heaviness weighted his steps. I knew he was coming off a long day, but the end of the semester was near. I had anticipated a cheerful smile from my husband since he had been able to come home early.

He spotted me waiting in the garage, and a weary smile crept across his face. “Did you want me to get the mail?”

“Yes, thank you.”

He handed it to me, his brow creased. An envelope with bright blue printing lay on top. “I wish I hadn’t.”

What was it? A bill? We weren’t expecting anything. I glanced at the top envelope. It was from Focus on the Family and couldn’t possibly be the source of his frustration.

I turned the stack over then quickly flipped it back.

“I’m sorry I saw it.” Regret was etched all over him.

My heart sank, and a gloom was cast over what had been a beautiful day.

I didn’t need to see any more to know what it was. The unwanted, unsolicited advertisements that were buried in the trash the minute they were discovered in the mailbox. The images that the world thought were acceptable, desirable even, but that we knew could bring death to a marriage.

A sigh escaped my lips, and I fought to keep my shoulders from sagging. I couldn’t bear to meet his look. “I can’t compete with that.”

With his hand under my chin, he gently brought my gaze to his. Love and admiration and compassion filled his eyes.

“Babe, you’ve already won.”










If you want to read about finding inspiration, head over to Hope in Every Season to find several bloggers {myself included} sharing their thoughts on one common topic. J

Photobucket




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~

Linking with Wholehearted Home, Messy Marriage, and these other wonderful bloggers ~
Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com


Pin It!

50 comments:

  1. yes, indeed. What a wonderful husband you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet and well-articulate scene from your life, Meghan. Love that you went out to meet him with anticipation. And very sweet how he responded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly anticipation, but perhaps a little desperation, too, Gail. :) Thank you for such kind words.

      Delete
  3. Hi Meghan! I am coming over from A Little R and R.

    You and your husband are so in synch! What a pleasure it is to read about your relationship. We do need to recognize that there are things we really don't need to see, but may end up encountering. It's ok, it's always there. Just 'turn it over' and go forward. Just make a good place to be in your life. Looks like you are already doing that :)

    So nice to meet you!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness, Ceil, and it's nice to meet you, too! :)

      Delete
  4. A sweet post. That is quite a guy you have! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...what a sweet post and precious husband. I agree with him, you have already won :) Thanks for sharing! Many blessing to you.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie, for your sweet words! :)

      Delete
  6. Meghan,

    You know what, those people plastered on the advertisements don't even come close to your beauty. Your beauty comes from the Creator who smiled upon You, when He made You.

    Blessings!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words, Sue. I just pray that this was encouraging to women who struggle with that kind of competition.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I'm glad you were encouraged here today, Laura. Blessings! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm in tears... my husband says the same thing to me, if not in the same words. I love seeing the love you two have for each other, and thankful beyond words for the love my husband has for me. Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaimie!! :) I'm sorry I made you cry. I just wanted to convey those exact thoughts - that many husbands say the same thing even if it's not in those exact words. Thank you for sharing those thoughts.

      Delete
  9. Such a sweet post! Kuddos to your husband to saying what needed to be said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. So glad you stopped in today. :)

      Delete
  10. Visiting from R&R. Sweet story. I'm so thankful for faithful husbands. God bless 'em real good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, your husband is awesome how he reacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many things that earn that word "awesome" in my book, but yeah. I'd say this is one of them. Thanks, Bibi!

      Delete
  12. What a sweet post. :) I pray God will bless me with a loving, Godly man as He has you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray that for you as well, Rebekah. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  13. Meghan, I love this! I had a similar experience yesterday when we went to the beach. I have a love/hate relationship with it. We usually don't go before 7pm, but we hadn't been to the beach during the day in ages and the kids were begging us, so we went. Not fun. I kind of resent that we have to be strategic about going to the beach, but it's the only way really. {sigh}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not fond of sand everywhere so we're not big beach fans, but the pool is the same way. I sigh with you, Jillian.

      Delete
  14. awwww that is sweet and very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If the Lord sees fit to bring a man into my life, I hope and pray that I will greet my husband like that, and that my husband will be that kind of man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't always this way. Our faith has grown us to this place. And I'm praying with you for your future marriage relationship. :)

      Delete
  16. Oh sweet Meghan! I can totally relate! We are more blessed than we probably know to have husbands so dedicated to being so...well, I can't find the words but you know! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Sarah. And yes, we are blessed. :)

      Delete
  17. So nice to read about your good husband. We are blessed to have faithful men.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for being so open and honest! Refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's one darling husband you have, Meghan! Nothing more attractive than a godly man!!! You write so well, I was right there with you in that garage Sister!!! Keep on shining on Internet for Jesus! I found you through Gail's 1 minute Bible love notes, I'll be back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has made my day, Juana. Thank you for taking the time to leave such encouragement! :)

      Delete
  20. Meghan, I hope you will consider posting on my Wednesday blog hop, esp your blog links, but also if you need prayer in a non-confidential matter (I call it Wednesday's Prayer Girls, which often goes into prayer for Thurs as well) You can see there how people post...Like a special dinner, speaking, sick child, etc.
    www(dot)juanamikels(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invitation, Juana. I'm pulling up your site on another tab now. :)

      Delete
  21. This truly spoke to my heart... the same is true with TV, even the "good" shows or watching a documentary... we only do DVR now because you never know WHAT the commercials are going to be. A quick word of "eyes" from my husband or myself and all of the children know they have to cover their eyes until we give the all clear. As hard as the effort is, I think the habit of doing it will our kids more protection when they get older than just sheltering them from even knowing it exists.

    But, after 7 kiddos and #8 on the way in January... I ache when I know that even for a split second my husband saw what I view as "prettier" or "more desirable" than I am... it hurts. Thanks for the much needed encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about TV and movies, Ella. We don't have broadcast television, and we're very careful about what DVDs we watch. But I agree with you. The children need to know what's out there and how to handle it. Thanks for commenting, and congratulations on #8! :)

      Delete
  22. Hello, I loved this post, very well written. I also do not care for all the advertisement that comes in the mail and the newspapers. But you do not have to compete, because A man really desires His wife more then most women realize. We just need to meet his heart and needs. And I have a hunch he adores you!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet words, Roxy! Many blessings to you! :)

      Delete
  23. Dear Meghan,
    I have enjoyed reading your blog for a few months now, and have really liked many of your posts! I think this is my all-time favourite, though, and I'm so glad you shared this experience! There is something about knowing a couple loves one another so much, and makes an effort to demonstrate that love in so many ways; knowing that it isn't just a handful of people out there who make their marriage a priority, who wish to honour the Lord, and honour their family - that is a Huge encouragement to me!!! =) Many blessings to you and your family.

    With love in Him,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, I am sooo glad you were encouraged. It felt risky to put this out there, but that was my whole reason to do so. Thank you for your encouragement here!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)