Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Charting a New Course for Future Generations

The sincere Christian life isn’t always a pleasure cruise.

In fact, rarely is there a cruise director organizing your fun and relaxing activities or a chef preparing your gourmet meals to be served around an ice sculpture or a maid placing mints on your pillow every night.

Too often, it can feel as if you’re in a rowboat with just one oar, struggling to propel yourself forward all by your lonesome.

Moms, you are charting a new course for future generations…your children, your grandchildren, your great-grandchildren.


It’s hard when you feel alone. Indifference and lack of faith can be a great divide in an extended family. Some of you even get grief and antagonism, not the help and support and encouragement you crave.

We ought not be surprised. Jesus Himself tells us He does not come to bring peace but a sword. “For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.’” {Matthew 10:34-35}

Some days you think you just can’t keep paddling. You see other families of grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins together, like-minded, and your heart aches for that support and love. You grieve, knowing you’ll never have it this side of a miracle.

It’s okay to cry. Bury your head in your pillow or on the shoulder of your husband and let it out. Cry out to God.

But then dip your oar in the water and pull forward.

“And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” {Romans 5:3-5}

Stay strong and stay the course.

You are charting new territory, and your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren will be blessed because you worshiped and obeyed the Lord today.

It will get easier. As your children grow, they will also become your friends. Your tribe. Your support.

If you look closely, you can see the distant shore.

And someday, because of your perseverance today, you will be the doting, like-minded grandmother, gathering the brood for Sunday dinner, praying before the meal, praising your grandchildren as they recite Scripture.

My course is charted. What about yours?











~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Beautifully written! My husband and I both have Christian parents, but our views on how our children should be raised are a bit different. The grandparents have never been rude about our decisions to do things differently---homeschool, no television, etc. however they have never quite understood our decisions to a certain extent. I wouldn't say we have full support, but I wouldn't say we're completely without support either. Make sense? I'm not even sure it makes sense to me. hehehehe

    Hugs and prayers for you and your family Meghan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I understand, Michelle. Sort of. :) Look for the positives and try to diminish the negatives. Thanks for commenting, and many blessings to you in your parenting!

      Delete
  2. Hello Meghan. I can't remember where I ran across your site but ever since I have I've been hooked! Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into keeping this site up. You are truly a blessing! Today's writing for me is spot on! I have two daughters (10 years apart) that are homeschooled. The oldest in now a part of the working world and my youngest is 13. We are the only ones who homeschool in our family and we are definitely the outcast. We don't really have a family anymore. (extended family) It's just us and boy does it ever get so lonely and hard sometimes. And I do cry - a lot. But at the same time I KNOW that what we are doing and how we live is right. But sometimes... Anyway thanks for the encouragement. It's nice to know that we are not really alone. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay in the Word, and stay in prayer. He will send you reassurances that you are doing His will. I'm so glad this was helpful to you. I get emails and messages from time to time, and I think there are a lot more people who need this sort of encouragement than we realize.

      Delete
  3. OOPS! Sorry Meghan. I forgot to introduce myself above. My name is Tammey a.k.a. momsdlite. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouraging blog ~ today's post was yet another bit of encouragement from the Lord. My husband and I both come from broken families and feel very lonely many times charting this course ~~ but I can't wait to be that Grandmother welcoming her family around our overflowing & crowded table. Just yesterday I was reading in Isaiah 61 and asking the Lord to make beauty from the ashes of our past :)

    Thankful for His great love for us today!
    Becky ... mom to 6 (age 19 to 6)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful Scripture to pray, Becky, and what an incredible opportunity you have, with the Lord's guidance and help, to set a new direction for your future generations. Take heart and stay firm in your faith! You're doing a great job! :)

      Delete
  5. I love this post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. I appreciate your faithfulness here! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Meghan! I am your neighbor on Bible Love Notes.

    I have always like that saying about keeping your oar in the water. Even if you are the only one! It does get hard, we all need support, but sometimes the Lord wants to be our #1 comfort.

    You have been a real encourager today!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point, Ceil. When human relationships are stripped away, we are only left to rely on Him. Thanks for summing it up! :)

      Delete
  7. Excellent and spot on!! Stay the course...only if it is locke in on Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith! Thanks for the reminder of that most wonderful verse, Jacqueline.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for the encouragement! It's hard when family just doesn't get it... at least my in-laws are supportive (if befuddled). My family, on the other hand, is outright hostile and dismissive. I think my mom views the fact that my choices are different than hers were as an attack on her.

    I just remember the huge amount of trouble I got into because no one was guarding my heart or shepherding me properly. I was allowed to read and view so many things that should never have been permitted and I see the consequences that I have had to work hard to get past. I want better for my kiddos. (http://PlantingGodlySeeds.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a pretty good assessment of your mom. She thought she did a fine job, and so when you do something different, she sees it as you essentially telling her that it wasn't right. It's such an incredibly difficult situation. But keep listening to the Lord and doing His will and trusting Him with all of it. Don't stop loving. I know -- believe me, I know -- that is often easier said than done. But, as you probably know, keeping in the Word and seeking encouraging people (your husband looked like an encourager :) ) will help. Prayers for you, Ella!

      Delete
  9. I can relate to that loneliness. My husband and I are first generation Christians so a lot of what we do seems odd to our families. I would love to spend a Resurrection Sunday with an extended family that believe as we do, but that just isn't the case. Most holidays are pretty much devoid of any christianity. It's sad really, but like you, we are charting a new course. It just takes time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, Jillian, and we need to grieve. But we also need to pray and move on, for the sake of our children. I try not to rush the time and savor the moments, but someday we will celebrate with extended family ... children, in-laws, grandchildren. Praying for you, sister! :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)