Monday, August 19, 2013

First Day of Homeschool Photos ~ My Daughters’ {and Sons} Modest Monday

Ah, the first day of school.

Sharpened pencils.
Crisp lined paper.
Books with intact bindings.
The promise of learning.
No shoes.


Yep, we homeschool. J


We’re fairly casual on the first day of school, taking our time for a big family breakfast and acclimating ourselves to new grades, new materials, and a new flexible schedule.

Despite the brain muddle that overtakes at times J, this year I remembered all that I saw online last year, and the children made signs to display their grades.

Our first day was actually in July on a misty, moisty morning when cloudy was the weather. So I placed the children in one of our usual inside-photo-taking places – in front of the fireplace. To add some pizzazz, I turned on the white decorator lights. But then the light from the windows was a bit much on the sides, and we closed the blinds.


No, it’s not Christmas morning. J But maybe I should ask for some photography lessons this year….




What the 13yo wore ~

Ruffled denim skirt ~ Her favorite made from pre-ruffled fabric. All I did was stitch a seam down the back.
Green peasant shirt ~ thrift store
White long-sleeve shirt ~ Target {We keep our air conditioning quite low, so long sleeves ward off the chill. J}

Bare feet! J


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Half-up in extra-small Music Lovers flexi



What the 11yo wore ~

Green cargo skirt ~ originally from thrift store, hand-me-down from 13yo
Striped shirt ~ Kohl’s sale {If you look closely, you’ll see a narrow stripe the exact green of the skirt. She was thrilled to find this match herself!}

Pink slippers ~ Like I said, we homeschool. J


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Oblong bun in extra-large Cameo Appearance flexi



What the 7yo wore ~

Pink eyelet skirt ~ originally from Wal-Mart, hand-me-down from both sisters
Pink butterfly shirt ~ thrift store
Bare feet! J



The boys have noticed that the girls are having all the fun with photos and blog posts, so they wanted to be included in this post, especially since these are First Day of School photos. {Hair combing optional.}











What are your First Day of School traditions?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com


Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. Aww, cute pics! We do the signs every year too :) Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misty. Enjoy your school year! :)

      Delete
  2. Our first day of school tradition for many years (not all though) was to drive by one of the local elementary schools not too far from our house and either watch the kids going to school or playing on the playground during recess, depending on what time we got up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did that make them more eager to homeschool? We drove by a grade school at recess the other day (unintentionally), and children were screaming and running around. My oldest just looked at me and said, "I am SO glad we homeschool." :)

      Delete
  3. Happy New School Year to all of you!

    Blessings!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Many blessings to you, too!

      Delete
  4. I think our tradition is to have none lolly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For our first several years, we didn't do anything special but plunge in, Val. I think I remember one time in my childhood that my mother took First Day of School photos. But then I found the great and wide blogosphere and its great ideas, and now...voila. :)

      Delete
  5. We don't really have any traditions, although last year we took pictures with the signs like your children and they have already asked to do it again this year. Maybe a new tradition? :)
    I love all the slippers - too cute! And your oldest daughters skirt - love it! Where in the world do you find pre ruffled jean fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla, I found that pre-ruffled jean fabric at Wal-Mart several years ago, and I've just been waiting for a daughter to grow tall enough to use it. It was only there that one year. I wish I could find it every year.

      Delete
  6. Love the cute hair things and outfits!

    Oddly, we don't have any 1st day of school traditions...hmmm...maybe we should start some!

    Thanks for the post...hope you all have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As "they" say, there's no time like the present, Lisa. Have a wonderful year!

      Delete
  7. Your children are darling! We always took pictures the first day of school too, but youngest son is a high school senior this year, so it was the very last time for that! Have a wonderful, successful school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray you enjoy your last year, Deb! :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful children! Your girls have lovely hair. I know you are proud of all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They love their long hair. :)

      Delete
  9. I definitely plan on doing a sign for my 3 year old as we start God's Little Explorers on September 3rd! I love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Have a terrific school year!

      Delete
  10. The signs are such a wonderful idea! I definitely am going to do it when we get home from vacation. Too bad I didn't know of it ahead of time, I would have taken the photos on the beach! :-) We are going to go out for breakfast on our first day. I LOVE your daughters' clothes. I have such a hard time finding longer skirts for both my daughter and myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing a wonderful job getting your daughter to sewing lessons, Lisa. It won't be long, and she'll be making her own skirts (and yours!), cutting the fabric to make them as long as she likes! :)

      Delete
  11. I never took first day pics. Such a good idea so maybe I'll get into the 'Time Machine' and go back and do it. Thanks for linking up with me over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed a few years of first day pictures, Judith, so I'm curious how you would get into the time machine. Photoshop?

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)