Friday, August 2, 2013

Homeschool Organizing Tidbits

{On Fridays, I post about the highlights of our homeschooling week, usually with lots of photos. This week I’m joining with Classic Housewife and discussing our homeschool organization and space.}

I find it quite difficult to write posts about organization because methods of organization are as individualized as we are and as our spaces are. Add to that the fact that we are completely squished in this house and there is no possible way I could organize everything for school into one fantastic place, and I can only pray that you find something useful in this conglomerated post of photos and one-liners. J

Now, with the throat-clearing done….


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

I love cruising the aisles of school supplies and cute organizational bins, but there are so many empty containers at home already that just need a bit of creative love that I have never been willing to purchase what is needed to create a Pinterest-worthy space.

A few of you noticed in my post about our curriculum that we store crayons in a wipe container. Let your imagination run wild with what else will fit ~ pencils, erasers, flashcards, pens, markers, manipulatives.



We do also have a few simple containers from the school supply aisle that hold our pencils, rulers, and glue sticks in a drawer.


Those drawers are part of a larger configuration of what we call cubbies that stack underneath our breakfast bar.  The breakfast bar is ridiculously short for a family of six children, so we opted to use the space underneath. It’s a bit unconventional, but it works and keeps our school books and basic supplies close to the dining table. Doors hide everything when we’re not in school.

Other supplies like extra lined paper, scrap paper, the pencil sharpener, and a ridiculous amount of extra pencils and pens are stored in the den, just on the other side of the living room from the dining table. A little cabinet in the desk hutch holds those supplies.



Are you bored with this post yet? J Moving on….


What’s working/not working for us…

We don’t have a school room, per se. I love the idea of a dedicated school space, but I’m not sure I would love it in real life. The organization would be superb, but we enjoy being all over the house.

At the dining table.
On the sofa.
On the floor.
On the bed.
Standing at the kitchen counter.
Hanging off the coffee table.

Yeah, all that. J


On the blog this week…

What do you wear to a non-dressy but non-casual event?

Do you ever get frustrated and feel like you can’t compete with those unsolicited advertisements that pop up in your mailbox?


We’re looking forward to…a break! We have four weeks into the school year already, and my husband has next week off. So we’re all going to take a break, including a blogging break. We aren’t traveling and don’t have any specific plans, so I’ll be popping in and out of Facebook, responding to comments on prior posts, and still contributing {briefly!} to Blessed at Home on Wednesday.

But I won’t be posting on the blog next week. I’ll be back on Monday, August 12, with another My Daughters’ Modest Monday.


Have a terrific week! J






What are your best organization tips? How was your week?



Isn’t the August Flexi-of-the-Month simply fabulous? If you love it, order fast. They’ll sell out quickly!






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection


Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. Well, that looks greatly organized to me! I think I'm going to use totes for now...we'll see. I'm a tote lover. :-)
    Visiting from Fellowship Friday!
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore totes, Stacy, and I could go crazy in a place like The Container Store. But I stay out of there (for now!) since I know I'd spend more money than I ought. Thanks so much for returning! :)

      Delete
  2. So helpful! We're first time homeschoolers this year. Eek!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you didn't ask for it, but my best advice is just to relax and enjoy the moments. Have fun, Gabby, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. We used wet wipe containers for a lot of things too LOL!
    I'm so glad I found your blog, I look forward to M,W,F to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I promise I'll be back next Monday. And, if life goes the way I hope this week, I'll have a new series to begin.

      Delete
  4. We'll miss you! I had a really cute school room once, but it really wasn't practical to be stuck in that room all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your organized spaces. Everything is so handy and accessible.
    I use empty wipes tubs too. I'm still using several from many years ago - you know, before they had the pop-up type lids.
    Enjoy your week long break. I look forward to checking in when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wipe tubs are incredibly durable, aren't they? I put the crayons in the one in the picture primarily because I thought the design was pretty, but they're stashed all over the house. :)

      Delete
  6. I just did an organizing/planning post too! LOL It's always great to see how others do things. You never know when you'll be inspired. I LOVE repurposing containers in the classroom. Did you know now that cutting an opening in washed out bleached bottles are great for crayons too? or Matchbox cars, Legos, etc.? I leave the handle on and cut on the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many things can be painted or covered or altered to become useful. Great tip, Jessy! :)

      Delete
  7. I decided that I had had it with "the" pencil sharpener and bought half a dozen when they were a quarter apiece. One for the desk, one for the kitchen, one for each of my big kids, one for my purse (oh, gosh, mom, I can't do my math in the car, my pencil broke.) That is my best organizing tip ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! One of my children likes having her own pencil sharpener, and I've noticed that her pencil is always ready. Maybe they all need one? :)

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your break! I will be looking forward to reading you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meghan,
    I love how you used stuff you already had (I think the fancy word is REPURPOSING. So many times we think we have to buy stuff to bring order to our lives, when if we'd just use what's around, we'd serve two purposes -- we'd get organized AND we'd recycle. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right on that word, Lori, repurposing. I grew up with a mother born during the Great Depression, and she called it "making do." Words are funny things, how each generation thinks they need their own new set. :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)