Monday, August 12, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ At the State Fair

I try to put on a brave face on this blog. We live in a difficult world, and we all need encouragement.

Too often, though, it is easy for me to get mired down in bad news and the depressing attitudes that seem to prevail.

But our most wonderful day EVER at the State Fair last Monday changed that thinking, at least temporarily. Not only because we learned about spinning wool, making lace, and how calves are born, but because Christian faith seemed to be everywhere.


Like a cool whisper of wind and the clink of ice cubes in a tall sweet tea on a scorching day, the faith and patriotism we witnessed and participated in that day revived my sagging spirit.

A quartet of ministers sang gospel songs on the main street of the fair.

A man playing the role of Johnny Appleseed showed the children an empty turtle shell and emphasized that the inside (the turtle itself) is more important than the outside because that’s how God looks at us.

A presentation about wolves ended with the words, “God bless you, and God bless America!”

In a horse show with a mother-daughter team, the cross symbol was stamped on the saddles. The mother told the crowd that her daughter was able to be a trick rider because she ate right, didn’t smoke, drink, or do drugs, and had a firm faith in God.


The rodeo emcee began the festivities with a prayer to “Our Lord Jesus Christ,” and one cowboy removed his hat and knelt in prayer after his safe ride on a bucking bronco.


The day was perfect for the girls’ matching flag tee-shirt dresses! The boys have the same flag tee-shirt to wear with jeans or shorts, and my husband and I had white flag tee-shirts {but I dressed my up a little J}.

We took our photos in the Pioneer Village. As soon as we stopped, the 11yo pulled out her paper and pencil to make notes of what we had seen so far that day. She would write about it later in her journal.




What the girls wore ~ {And please know it was a hot, humid day so we were all a bit disheveled by this point. J}

Patriotic tee-shirt dresses ~ These began as tee-shirts purchased at Wal-Mart. I found the fabric on sale at Jo-Ann Fabrics and just added a gathered skirt. You can find my tutorial for tee-shirt dresses in this post from last summer.

Tennis shoes ~ Payless for the 13yo and 11yo ~ hand-me-down from a friend for the 7yo

We wear hats in the sun, so the girls wore ponytails or braids to fit under their hats.


God is on His throne. He is in control. And He will be glorified.






Do you go to your state fair? What is your favorite part?


I see someone who needs a Lilla Rose flexi....



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I love the clothing style of your girls. Really country american :-) Very interesting photo, that pioneered room. Your family roots go back to Europe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, is that something unique to the USA -- dressing in the country's colors or with the flag of the country? Or do other countries do that? We love learning about the pioneers and their lifestyles. My husband's family is too jumbled to know specific roots. :) I'm adopted, but I do know that my birth father is 100% German and my birth mother is 50% Finnish and 50% Danish and Norwegian. (I'm not certain of the Norwegian, but it's a Scandinavian country.)

      Delete
  2. Love it!! Yes, God is on the throne! What a wonderful assurance! So glad you had such a wonderful time. I think that's why our family loves going to Pigeon Forge, TN so much. We get the same feeling there. Even Dollywood's Christmas extravaganza is Christ focused.

    I'm glad you're back in blogging world. I missed you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Michelle! I'm glad to be back. :)

      I have heard wonderful things about Dollywood, but we haven't been there yet. Soon, I hope....

      Delete
  3. I love your stand for modesty! God bless you for serving Him and for letting your lights shine in this sin-darkened world. I really enjoyed reading your blog about the fair. It blesses my soul to hear of things like this, because I carry such a heavy burden for our nation and the way so many have turned against God. It is refreshing to hear that there are many who are standing firm and bold for Him. Have a blessed day in Him! Also, feel free to visit my blog anytime. God's peace, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to get discouraged, but there are still many that stand for Christ. We need to stick together! Thank you so much, and many blessings to you, Cheryl.

      Delete
  4. OK, I've visited your blog before, but don't remember knowing you were from Indiana! I posted about our day at the state fair also, & included almost the very same pics from the Pioneer Village -- only the kitchens were full of men/women eating. Of all the yrs we've gone through there, we've never seen the rooms in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually use those rooms? In all the years we've been going, I've only seen one man sit down at the table, and I don't think he was having a full meal. How neat that would be, to see everyone in their old-time clothing having a traditional meal!

      Delete
  5. What a great uplifting post! We recently moved to a new state and would love to go the state fair, especially if it is at all like the one you attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to two state fairs, but I would love to visit more. Perhaps you can find out about your state fair online, Penny, before you go?

      Delete
  6. Just curious is this the pioneer village in Nebraska? It sure looks like it. If so I love going there! Our Homeschool group and family goes there often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in Indiana, Jen, but they could be very similar. Is yours open during the year? You're making me wonder if we could go see our Pioneer Village outside of the usual state fair times.

      Delete
  7. Wow that looks like a fun day!! Thanks for linking up with me over at WholeHearted Wednesdays last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fun, Judith! Thanks for the link-up.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)