Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Family Announcement and a New Series ~ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

Sometimes it seems that news has to simmer a little before it can bubble out an announcement. Our plans have been simmering for what feels like forever, but I finally get to bubble out the news.

Our family is building a house!

No builder. No general contractor. We’re doing it ourselves! J

We are subbing out the big work. Obviously, we can’t pour cement for a basement, and my husband is neither plumber nor electrician nor HVAC guy. {Sorry, HVAC guy’s wife who I know is reading this but shall remain nameless. I don’t know what to call your skilled and talented husband who shall provide us with years of blessed air conditioning.}

But we designed the house, prepared the plans, found the subs. We’ll also be doing all the finishing work once the drywall is in place. {Actually, my husband is still thinking about doing the insulation and drywall himself! Prayers for wisdom would be appreciated.}

This has been my husband’s dream for a long time, and, even though I’ve waited seven years since we bought our lot, what wife could refuse when her husband asks her to draw out her home? It’s also the only way we can afford a bigger house.

So, when it’s all done, we’ll double our living space, plus have a full basement that can be finished in the future. We’ll have four bathtubs, five toilets, eight bathroom sinks, two refrigerator/freezers in the kitchen, and two dishwashers. Can I say it now? Yippee!!!!

Yeah, we’ve been thinking about what is helpful in a house for a big family. J

But what does this mean for you?

Well, as we’ve been preparing for each stage, I’ve been mulling over how the different parts of home-building relate to building and strengthening the spiritual and relational aspects of a family.

“The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands.” ~ Proverbs 14:1

As my family works through each stage of building our home, I’m going to relate it to an aspect of our home-building as wives and mothers. It will be an intermittent series, since home-building proceeds in fits and spurts depending on subs and materials.

Our lot is in an established subdivision, and once had a house on it that was struck by lightning. No one was hurt, but the house had to be demolished due to water damage. The owners decided not to rebuild but to sell the lot.

So, when we bought the lot, we were blessed with a mini-barn.

The problem was that it sat in the very middle of the backyard.



It was still useful, but it needed to be pushed to the side.

As wives {and mothers}, what do we need to push out of the way so we can build our homes in the proper place?


It’s not necessarily something bad or wrong or sinful. It may, in fact, be something useful and spiritual. It doesn’t need to be eliminated, but it needs to be pushed to the perimeter, at least for a time.

Shopping.
Social media.
Scrapbooking.
Chat time.
Movies.
Manicures.
Excess ministry.
Continuing education.
Blogging.
Crafting/sewing.

I enjoy many of these activities myself, a few with my girls. That’s family togetherness, right? J

But once or twice, as I was brainstorming a blog series or checking Facebook one more time, my husband has called to me to come away from the computer and be with the family.

What have we allowed front and center that just doesn’t belong there? Only you know.


Climb in that bobcat, and push it to the side. Create a building space for the family home.







What do you need to push to the perimeter of your life to make space for building your home?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com


Pin It!

40 comments:

  1. How exciting for you!!!! Looking forward to your series.

    Love in Him,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. I appreciate your faithfulness here. :)

      Delete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS on the new house. I know you are all excited.

    GOD BLESS!!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been waiting and waiting to unveil this until we actually broke ground. That was just last Thursday, so I still am having a hard time believing it's really happening! :)

      Delete
  3. Very exciting news!!! I can tell you from experience that Youtube has many wonderful how-to videos. My husband and I use it regularly as DIYers. It may be helpful for you as you build your new home too.

    Thank you for the reminder that some things need to moved to the perimeter. I needed to hear that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle, it is mind-boggling how many different DIY videos are on YouTube. It seems that my husband has watched a bunch already, but I'm sure he's only scratched the surface.

      I'm glad the personal application was helpful. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Meghan! I am coming over from A Little R and R.

    What an awesome idea, to take this huge project, and see God in it. As a help to you. So cool! I think I'd like to hear more. I'll be your newest follower, and many blessings to you. I look forward to getting to know you better :)

    Happy Wednesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ceil, and I'm excited to get to know you as well! Many blessings to you. :)

      Delete
  5. Visiting from A Little R and R. How neat that you all building your own house and love the parallel you made to how at times we need to push some things out of our lives in our to focus on building what truly matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you said it better than I did, Wanda. :) So glad to have you here today.

      Delete
  6. I am so excited for you and your family.

    Blessings!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Val! I appreciate the time you take out of your busy day to visit. :)

      Delete
  8. How wonderful, Meghan! I'm excited to see what the Lord has in store for you and your family.

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful but a bit scary, Kari. The only way we could undertake something this huge is with the Lord's leading.

      Delete
  9. Ohhhhh congratulations. I can't wait to follow this series. I think I'll be able to relate to some of it. We're aren't building - we're renovating - but I think some of it will be very similar (and I do confess, when I read the first part of the FB post, I did think baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad, Rosilind, that you can see that I'm still young enough to have more babies, what with my prematurely, un-dyed gray hair. :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! My husband and I would love to build a home one day. By the way, I am that HVAC guy's wife! :) I will have to ask him if there is a more professional name for what he does, but I'd say you got it about right. :)

    And I love the way you are relating this to our lives as mothers and wives. I often have the thought that some things I am doing need to be pushed to the perimeter, even though they are things I enjoy! My family is more important!
    I can't wait to see what else you have to write about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla, I'm thinking they might be technicians, but that just doesn't sound quite right to me. What they do seems extremely skilled.

      Unfortunately, those activities that pull at us are not like our barn that we could push to the side and it would stay put. I could sit at the computer and write for hours, but I have to continue to keep it in the proper place. :) Thank you for your time in commenting!

      Delete
  11. Good luck with your home! That is so great. I also like your thoughts about pushing other things to the perimeter so that we can build our homes. So true. Enjoy what is left of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. You have a great week also! :)

      Delete
  12. How exciting! It will be fun following along with you and your family on your journey! Make sure you post lots of pictures - I love pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are taking a TON of pictures, Vickie, so the tricky part will be choosing only a few. :)

      Delete
  13. Meghan...I'm glad I stopped by today to hear your big news. Congratulations on the building of your home. I remember the excitement...and hard work...that came with building our home. It will be a journey to remember. I look forward to pictures, too. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Naomi, lots of hard work...and we've only just begun. Lots of good lessons for the children as well. I'm so glad you commented!

      Delete
  14. We have friends who built their home up in Alaska. We do the finishing of the basement: studding, sheet rocking, electrical, ceiling, you name it and my husband might do it!

    I wouldn't want to clean 5 toilets, lol, I'm happy with two and especially as within the last two years we are down 5 children from 7...they fledge the nest fast!! That does sound so exciting. No one will have to wait to brush their teeth unless you have more babies :-) I would love to see pics of the layout of your home. I love the idea of linking to posts with a spiritual twist and look forward to following you on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A floor plan post is a good idea, Judith. Thanks! And as far as cleaning, don't forget the whole reason we're building the bigger house...the children! :)

      Delete
  15. Meghan, I've always wanted to climb in one of those bobcats and start rearranging things. I'm so jealous, ha ha. Bless you on this fun journey. Linking with Living Proverbs 31 today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children had such a good time in it, although they didn't get to push the barn around. It's amazing how quickly a bobcat can flatten a little bush! :) Thanks for commenting, Kim.

      Delete
  16. Stopping by from the link up. We built our own house. Well actually still are but are close to being finished. I have been working on a post about the process. We drew up our plans and have done nearly everything ourselves. Thankfully my husbands job has taught him a lot thru the years so he was able to do the various things. We hired out only 3 projects and even with those we did part of it. Hopefully you'll stop by my blog once I get the post up and read about it. Although I think ours is much smaller than what yours will be. I only have 2 potties. Lol. Blessings to you though - building your house is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing way more work than we are, Jen. Good for you! I would love to see that post. Many blessings to you as you finish!

      Delete
  17. yahoo! this is exciting news! And you've used it to challenge us as well. Building a house if full of object lessons, and opportunities for education, and a chance to practice patience and grace. An exciting journey for sure!

    15 years ago we started building our home, husband did most all the work (subbed out the concrete and heat pump) along with a little help from a few friends and family. Enjoy this time, you'll build lots of great memories with your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of patience, Linda. :) Sounds like you had a great experience with your home-building project. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful reminder - I've really been struggling with pushing the wrong things out lately... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful. Blessings to you! :)

      Delete
  19. Congratulations and blessings. I'm sure your patience and fortitude will be tried but the saying is "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!! The gang over at My Personal Accent, invites you to link-up this terrific post at our rules free Blog Strut Link Party/blog hop, Thursdays at 5:00 PM PST. Our Blog Strut isn't your average blog hop, it offers many ways to promote and give exposure to your blog and posts. We pin all links, featured posts, as well as offer free co-host spots and button/logo redesign, plus free social network link ups. Join us and show what you’ve got!! http://www.mypersonalaccent.com/linkyparty/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite, Sande. I'll check it out. :)

      Delete
  20. I love this! I have definitely seen how easy it can be to let hobbies and excess projects crowd out the most important things that should take priority. Thank you for the encouragement to push them aside! It can be hard though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jane, it can be very hard, but don't be afraid to fire up that bobcat and shove them aside. :) It's hard to build with a bunch of clutter in the way. Praying for you as you rearrange!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)