Monday, September 2, 2013

My Daughter's Modest Monday ~ They Grow Too Fast

I couldn’t help it.

The tears puddled, unbidden, and slipped down my cheeks without permission.

I stood poised with the camera, ready to give directions in a jiffy so we could get inside for Sunday dinner. We, the 13yo and I, had oohed and aahed when this outfit had come together earlier in the summer, and now seemed the right time to share it with my readers. But wrapped meatballs and green beans were calling, not to mention a Sunday afternoon nap.

It should have been fast and easy.


But I cried.

The camera wobbled in my hand as I snapped a few photos of my girl…my beautiful, growing-up-too-fast girl who was wearing my belt.

I’ve shared plenty of clothes with my girls, and I’m glad to pass them on for more wear.

But this belt was different.

I had worn this belt when I was seventeen weeks pregnant with that girl who is now thirteen years old.

I remembered that belt because a dear friend had proclaimed amazement at my belt-wearing at seventeen weeks of pregnancy. I had been proud of my tiny bit of weight gain. But then there was fainting, and then eating, and eventually the weight gain.

And the memories of my first pregnancy tumbled through my mind. The morning queasiness. The longing for maternity clothes when I still wasn’t showing. The sewing of crib bumpers. The poring over of baby name books and how-to-care-for-your-child-without-ruining-them books. The fear and trepidation. The unceasing prayers. The anticipation and joy.

And now that beautiful teenager was wearing MY BELT.

But what could I do?

I prayed for strength. I prayed for that almost-grown girl.

And I went inside to those wrapped meatballs with green beans and that glorious Sunday afternoon nap.




What the 13yo wore ~

Floral print skirt ~ thrift store
Turquoise polo shirt ~ Kohl’s sale
Black patent-leather belt ~ hand-me-down from me  *tears*
Black patent-leather shoes ~ Payless sale


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Oblong bun in size large Classic Etched Cross








What are your children wearing now that you used to wear? How do you feel about it, Mom? Let’s commiserate in the comments. J




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com


Pin It!

34 comments:

  1. How quickly the time passes.

    BLESSINGS!!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Tom Baker says in Cheaper by the Dozen, "Enough with the blinking." Sigh. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle. Many prayers for the future! :)

      Delete
  3. She looks really cute! Thanks for sharing. Happy Labor Day to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb, and happy Labor Day to you as well. Hope it was restful and relaxing! :)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful and very feminine! The time does go by so quickly :) Have a lovely Labor Day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the hugs, Stephanie! Many blessings to you! :)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely daughter you have.
    How special, and hard as a mom, to see your baby grown so much and wearing something of yours.
    What a special story to go along with an item you once wore!

    I have had some similar feelings when my daughter, now 12, started wearing my shoes, and jackets.
    I am amazed at how fast my children are growing. I am thrilled to watch them grow, yet sad to see the baby years behind us now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is bittersweet, isn't it, Amber? Wonderful to see them grow into responsible, Christian adults, but sorrowful that the time is passing so quickly. It's difficult to see time fly by. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. As usual, your words strike a cord. My almost 33 yr.old daughter is soon to have her first baby. I tremble at the passage of time.

    I so enjoy your writing and almost always have a favorite line. From this post it is this: "The tears puddled, unbidden, and slipped down my cheeks without permission."

    Reminds me of "every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord." It will happen, as if gasping at a beautiful sunset. Unbidden, the words will tumble from every tongue. Some things are beyond our control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Grandma! :) Your Scripture tie-in is perfect, Debbie. Whether we want it or not, some parts of life (and death) are inevitable. Unalterable.

      Delete
  7. I feel your tears!
    My little girl is now a mother of four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The march of time is relentless, taking down all in its path. Blessings to you, Christine, as you enjoy those grandchildren. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing, and I too well understand the bittersweetness of watching your firstborn daughter grow into a young woman - my own turned 14 this summer.

    In Christ,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine will be 14 this fall, Melissa. {{Hugs}} Chin up!

      Delete
  9. HI Meghan! What a sweet blog post today...I can't believe she is wearing your belt! I would have cried too. How could you ever have foreseen this day?

    That hair clip is just lovely. I've never seen anything like that. (Of course, having nice thick hair helps too!)
    Thanks for sharing! From A LIttle R and R,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it should have. I used to wear a few of my mother's clothes, like most girls do. But when they're still in the womb...well, it's hard to focus on anything past that little newborn about to arrive in the world. We're long past that! Thanks, Ceil, for another lovely comment! :)

      Delete
  10. Very beautiful young woman she is becoming.

    I thought you might appreciate this. My 11 yo son has been commenting lately on the immodesty that abounds in our culture. We watched a movie the other night called, "Love Comes Softly" where the setting is in the early days of the western expansion. My son replied, "Mom, I love the way the ladies dressed back then-- very pretty and modest. I sure wish ladies these days dressed that way." Such truth spoken from such a young lad.

    Just know that there are young men being raised to appreciate the beauty that your daughter exemplifies in these photos. Kudos to you and your husband for standing on God's word as your guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love "Love Comes Softly"! And love that your son is being raised to appreciate modesty in both dress and spirit, Michelle. Good job, Mom!

      Delete
  11. I wear the majority of my Mom's clothes! I draw the line at her maternity clothes but wear all the rest. :) Over half my wardrobe is hers! We are currently the same size and she's had 5 kids. :) I love sharing clothes with my Mom. I'm not sure what I'll do when I move out in a few years! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she'll let you take some with? :) Your comment about not wearing her maternity clothes made me smile, Moriah. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I have a 13 year old, too, and I have NO IDEA where the years went! Now we trade clothing regularly, which is really fun and really heartbreaking all at the same time!

    What a blessing to see them grow and mature and change. And yet how sad to know the next 13 years are likely to pass more quickly than the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to phrase it, Tanya -- fun AND heartbreaking. I love seeing the excitement over something that had just been stashed at the back of my closet...but how quickly everything changes!

      Delete
  13. My sons are all grown up (and one is married) and when I look at their baby photos I can't help but feel sad for those years long gone that I can't get back. Children really do grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing your daughters dresses or yours each week. Thank you for sharing over at WholeHearted Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith. :) I love your generosity in hosting the link-up and your encouraging comments each week!

      Delete
  15. Such a lovely young lady. But please don't let her wear those patent leather shoes with a skirt. Any young man looking down at her feet will see the reflection of her undergarments in her shoes. And that's just not modest at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?" was an interesting book and then stage play starting in the 1970s. But I wonder if it planted an idea in our minds that isn't really true. I've stared at the picture of my daughter's shoes in this post and all I see is a boxy shadow which I presume is her. Not undergarments or anything the least bit defined. Just her. I do appreciate your concern, though. :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)