Friday, September 6, 2013

Extra and Uninvited Science {Eeek!} ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday!


The children have quickly claimed that extra table in the middle of our living room. However, the school principal J decided he wanted the room back to the more traditional arrangement. So, that table now has a {temporary} home in our entryway. {Please don't be concerned. We can still get to the door in case of emergency.}





Whatever works!


In our homeschool this week… I thought we were going to take Monday off for Labor Day. But apparently the Lord had other ideas. Monday morning, not exactly bright and early since it was a day off, I opened the blinds on the front of the house and this Little Miss Muffet was scared out of her tuffet by a bat on the trim just outside the window.



Yes, a real, live BAT.

Did you hear my scream at your house?

I still don’t understand why I was the only one who didn’t think it was cool.

Excitement over, right?

Well…the husband and Bigs worked at our home building site in the afternoon and brought home a ginormous praying mantis.



Can’t say I was thrilled about that.

The 9yo {boy!} wanted to feed it to the bat.

Of course, we had to pull out the science texts and refresh our memories on bats and praying mantises.

In the end, the praying mantis found a new home on an obliging sunflower in our backyard, and the bat disappeared at sunset.

After such beginnings, the rest of the week was ho-hum and not worthy of report. J

The moral of the story? It might be difficult, but do your best, mamas, to keep your cool when extra science shows its antennaed, compound-eyed, or furry head.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… Friday {today}, we’re driving an hour across our large metropolitan area to check in on my almost-81yo mother. Her macular degeneration has progressed to the point where she can no longer drive. Praise the Lord for wonderful local church members who are willing to drive her to appointments and the grocery store! My brother, my mother, and I are entering into that period of life where decisions are not yet on our doorstep but they can be seen on the horizon. I covet your prayers.


On the blog this week…

My Daughter’s Modest Monday ~ They Grow Too Fast ~ A post where I blubber over my 13yo wearing a belt I wore when I was seventeen weeks pregnant with her.


Fall Comfort Food ~ Wrapped Meatballs ~ Easy enough for kiddos to make but nice enough for company.


Have a wonderful and blessed weekend!







How was your week? What exciting events filled your Labor Day? J



Linking with the Homeschool Mother's Journal.



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket



Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. YIKES!!!! I would have screamed too.

    Sorry about your mother. Decisions are not easy to make in these cases.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we would harmonize, Charlotte? :)

      Delete
  2. Meghan, I think we make a good pair. :) Yesterday, while enjoying a rare and quiet evening after dinner, I flew up from my seat at the sight of a big, hairy moth flying very erratically over my head! I ran into the kitchen for refuge, however, the moth followed me in there too {ok, I know it didn't really do that, but that's what it seemed like} and I screamed so loud that my hubby came running in from garage. In my defense, the windows were open. :/ Anyway, he managed to kill it, against the wishes of my children I might add. And I was able to sleep that night. :)
    All kidding aside though, I will pray for your mom and the decisions that you and your brother will face. I pray that the Lord will bless you with peace and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think moths have a built-in radar, Jillian, that causes them to fly straight for hair! :) And always women's hair, too! What a husband, protecting his bride. Good for him!

      Delete
  3. AHHHHH!!! Bats and mice are probably my two biggest fears. And bees/wasps/hornets. ack! We once found a bat clinging to our window screen outside our house. We called the adventurous neighbor boy over to catch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard that scream, Kourtney! And yours was louder because your bat was on the screen. :)

      Delete
  4. Visiting you from christian mommy blogger, enjoyed reading some of your posts. Followed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the bat is kind of cool too, but I'm glad it was on your porch and NOT mine! Enjoy the coming week.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)