Friday, September 27, 2013

Turtledove Talk, Sneaky Spelling, and Other Bits of Mundanity ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday!



Do you ever wonder what birds would say if they could talk?

Mrs. Turtledove: “All our babies have flown away, Harold. All eight of them.” *wipes tear from little bird eye*

Mr. Turtledove: “Yes, Myrtle, but we raised them well. They were ready. And there’s always next year for more babies. Are you ready to head south?”

Well, maybe it was something like that…. J


In our homeschool this week…

By Thursday evening, it often seems that the week has flown by with the same old-same old. I wonder what could possibly happen in my life that would be of interest.

Yet, I enjoy reading about what others consider mundane in their own lives because often there is some tidbit that illuminates my current circumstances.

The big problem is locating those bits of mundanity that are worth recording. J

For example, the 9yo snuck a book to the breakfast table Thursday morning. Normally, we don’t allow reading at meals. That time is reserved for family conversation. But a glance showed me it was his spelling book, and then I remembered that Thursday is spelling test day. 


Now, how can I discipline when he’s studying his spelling words?

My friends on Facebook know that he was acquitted of all charges. J



The Littles this week… It’s blanket-and-chair tent week at our house. The sun is coming up later in the mornings, and the tent is a cozy hideout to finish waking up.


The Bigs this week… The 13yo and the 11yo brought home Christmas cactus starts from Grandma last weekend, including copious verbal instructions. With their tender loving care, which apparently includes teaching the cacti about the War of 1812, I’m hoping we’ll have blooms sometime around the holidays.


{Do you need a total stress-out moment? Christmas is less than three months away. Eek!}


On the blog this week…




I’m reading…

I thought I was going to read Karen Witemeyer. I checked out two of her books from the library, A Tailor-Made Bride and To Win Her Heart (inspirational historical romance). The 13yo picked up one as an excuse not to read her science and ended up reading the entire thing on Thursday. {She didn’t like the two kisses, so I don’t think this will become a regular genre for her preferred reading. Whew!} Then, last night, she asked if she could read the other one. She peeked ahead in the book and saw something exciting about a river rescue. In the end, I’m not sure what I’m reading. Whatever the 13yo lets me, I guess. J

{The above is tongue-in-cheek. We have guidelines in place for what our children are allowed to read. I just enjoyed teasing her most of the day about the books “she” checked out of the library. J}



Have a wonderful and blessed weekend!







How was your week? Do your children read at the table? Can you believe Christmas is less than three months away?







~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Great conversation, there on the roof! The photo of your son is very nice! Christmas. Oh no, first enjoy autumn with golden leaves and dewy cobwebs and fog over the land ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on enjoying autumn first, Rita. I don't even have my fall decorations up yet! But it boggles my mind how quickly time can pass when you're not paying attention...or even when you are. :)

      Delete
  2. Reading at the table wasn't ever an issue. Now Texting is. We have a no texting at the table rule. We all slip up though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our children don't have phones...yet. But I'm sure we'll have to institute some rules, just like you have. Sounds like a good one to put in place! :)

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't be able to discipline studying spelling words at the table either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely, normal week. Bless you and yours, Meghan


    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Faith. Many blessings to you! :)

      Delete
  5. Every week when I read your blog, I hear your heart, and I always end up with the same impression. You are a woman about whom Pro 31:26-27 speaks. And the wonderful results of that are verse 28. :)
    p.s. The cozy "tent" picture reminded me of sweet by-gone days. Should the Lord tarry, tents will grace my rooms again in a few years when the grands come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie! I believe you have the gift of encouragement. :) And the way the years fly by, it won't be a long wait for those grands and their tents.

      Delete
  6. I love the Turtledove conversation! I was thinking perhaps they were chatting about whether or not to visit the partridge in the pear tree. ;-)

    "Normal" weeks are very special and thank you for letting us have a peek into yours. And I think it is awesome that your son was so diligent about his studies that he was sneaking a spelling book to the table. Wow! :-)

    Have a wonderful rest of your weekend, friend! I hope it will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute idea for the turtledove talk, Lisa!

      Even in our little homeschool, there is still plenty of competition. The 9yo and the 11yo regularly compare scores on all tests and quizzes, so I'm sure he was wanting to get ahead of his sister. Whatever works! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi - enjoyed reading about your "mundane" week. Those are the little everyday things that make family life so wonderful. I would love to know what instructions were included with the Christmas Cactus starts. I have one that is doing OK, but I would love to know what I could do to get it to really flourish and bloom! Thanks so much and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 13yo says she can't guarantee that the instructions work because she's only had the plants a week. :) But Mom said to use fertilized water, not very much, probably less than once a week. (Not sure what's in the fertilized water. That could be my mom's secret. :) ) Dirt that feels dry is actually quite moist for a cactus. Don't let it get bone-dry, and when you water, be careful you don't drown it. I also know that my mom moves her to the cool garage closer to Christmas. I think the temperature might have something to do with it. See? This is why my mom grows the delicate plants, not me. :)

      Delete
  8. I enjoy reading your "mundane" homeschool days....sounds lovely to me =) Cute turtledove talk, always wondered what they were saying =)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. There is beauty in routine, isn't there? :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)