Monday, October 7, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ At the Apple Orchard

Don’t you just love the crisp crunch of an apple? It’s autumn in all of its loveliness.

We are blessed to be within a few minutes of a wonderful You-Pick apple orchard. Even if you live in a part of the country that doesn’t get much fall weather or you are without an orchard, this is still a terrific time to get a good price on apples at the grocery store.

This is also the time of year when my children like to remind me of the health benefits of apples. An apple a day may actually keep the doctor away.

They promote healthy teeth. Not only does biting into an apple exercise your teeth but they also help clean your teeth by producing extra saliva.

They help you go to the bathroom. I know this isn’t normally a topic on this blog, but when you have children, it’s bound to come up now and then. J

They clean your colon. I was surprised that my 9yo knew the word colon! But yes, apples are terrific for general digestive health. Roughage, people! J

I also googled “health benefits of apples” and found several wonderful articles. One from Best Health Magazine lists fifteen health benefits of eating apples including protection against various diseases, heart health, and a reduced risk of diabetes!

To quote I Love Lucy, “It’s so tasty, too!” J


Okay, I got a little sidetracked with my love of apples. On to the modesty part!



What the 13yo wore ~

Peasant denim skirt ~ Yes, this is the one made from pre-ruffled fabric with just one seam stitched down the back. This girl will put the skirt on still damp from the washing machine because she loves it so much. J
Striped shirt ~ Kohl’s sale
Brown Mary Jane’s ~ Payless sale


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Half-up in a size extra-small Enchanting Copper Rose ~ Isn’t that copper a beautiful color for fall?


What the 11yo wore ~

Denim skirt ~ thrift store
Striped shirt ~ Kohl’s sale
Brown Mary Jane’s ~ Payless sale


I’ll leave you with this image of another benefit of a long, semi-full skirt. It's a built-in basket. J








Did you know about all those incredible health benefits to apples? What do you like most about apples?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket
Hearts for Home Blog Hop




Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Those apples look quite yummy! What a fun trip!
    I love seeing the girls' hair so long. You don't see many, especially teens with long hair anymore. It makes me miss how long mine was. Though my hair is still longer than most, for many years I had hair long enough to sit on. It was a chore, but I did love it. Now with kids and all else, I decided it was time to shorten it a bit.
    Anyway, I just love seeing other young girls with such long hair too! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls love having hair that long! Sometimes it gets in the way, and about half the time they put it up. They are just now getting to the age of wanting to learn and experiment to do a bit more with it, so I'm curious to see how they do. Thank you for your kind words, Amber! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a little warm for October, but the sun was beautiful. We always love the orchard!

      Delete
  3. We went apple picking last year with the girls, but it's a bit of a distance and unfortunately, they don't have any apples available to pick this year. However, last year, I made two crockpots full of apple butter. Delicious! I love Fall, too.

    By the way, your daughters is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love-love-love apple butter! I wonder if that's what Heaven will smell like. I usually make several pints each fall, and we just opened our last from last year. I better get moving! :)

      Delete
  4. Cute pun...you are clever! :)
    Just looking at the pic of your apples caused my mouth to water.
    Imagine... there are over 7,500 known varieties of apples!
    Simply and totally amazing.
    Oh I hope heaven will have the fragrance of cooking apples and cinnamon! My banquet table will have hot crusty biscuits and apple butter, thank you very much, and feel free to join me.
    And, now I've gone and made myself very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there were that many varieties, Debbie. Wow! Our local orchard has about six. :) I agree with you about Heaven. I think it will smell like fall. :) Enjoy your apple!

      Delete
  5. Apples are soooo good for you! Love the pictures - your girls dressed alike! Isn't that fun?
    I love my denim skirts, they are so comfortable and durable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't mind dressing alike and, in fact, often choose the same items when we are out shopping. I love it! Good to see you here again, Bibi. :)

      Delete
  6. I just have to say that I love reading your blog! I was wondering where you got the fabric for the one seam stitch...I got a girl who just grew out of her skirt that looks like that, and loved it...Thanks in advance for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah, I got that fabric at our Wal-Mart before they eliminated the fabric department. The only other fabric store we have around here is Jo-Ann, and I haven't looked there for that specific fabric. Maybe online?

      Delete
  7. I have to be quick :-) but I enjoyed this and seeing the girls in skirts again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I'm surprised you have the time to comment as much as you do! :) Thanks!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)