Monday, October 14, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ At the Manly Home Improvement Store

Maybe I should start a petition.

Y’all know we’re building a house. Yes, we are building the house. That means estimating lumber, measuring for drywall, figuring out how many doo-dads, doo-hickeys, and thing-a-ma-jibs we need.

I had no idea there would be so many decisions in designing and building our own home.

I also had no idea there would be so many hours spent in those manly do-it-yourself warehouse stores.



Decorative lighting, paint samples, hardwood flooring finishes…those are my departments.

But ¾ inch tongue-and-groove plywood, gutter board, and six-gauge copper wire? Just point me toward the cappuccino machine and the comfy chairs.


If the men get overstuffed recliners and the ambiance of a grand piano while they wait for us at the mall, then why shouldn’t we get delicate pastries, gourmet coffee, and pedicures while we wait at the man-store?

Come on, ladies! Unite! Ladies lounges at the man-store!

{Okay, not really. At least not the pedicures. Ain’t nobody touching my feet. But a girl can dream…. J}


What they wore ~


The 13yo ~

Ruffle denim skirt ~ thrift store {Seriously, the thrift store is the absolute best place on the face of the planet to find denim skirts!}
Striped shirt ~ Kohl’s sale {You know I love that place for basics. J}
Navy blue Mary Jane’s ~ Payless sale


Lilla Rose flexi ~ oblong bun in size large Sea-Inspired Dolphin


The 12yo ~ {Yep, someone had a birthday. J}

Denim skirt ~ her all-time favorite from the thrift store
Striped shirt ~ Kohl’s sale {We love our stripes!}
Brown Mary Jane’s ~ Payless sale


The 7yo ~

Denim skirt ~ hand-me-down from 13yo ~ super-easy tube skirt with elastic waist
Souvenir tee-shirt ~ hand-me-down ~ We buy tee-shirts when we’re on vacation and make our souvenirs serve double-duty. I love how frilly and feminine this one is.
Biker shorts ~ hidden under the skirt for additional modesty J
Navy blue Mary Jane’s ~ hand-me-down








Do you think we need a waiting space in the man stores? J

{I hope you see this for the tongue-in-cheek that it is meant to be. I love the fact that my man is going to all this trouble to build us a house!}



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! Definitely need an area for those who don't really care to be there... Ha, ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in that situation, I spent hours in the Christmas isles just looking and in the paint section planning out how pretty everything was going to be. Sure, we never actually got anything painted, but it occupied some time while I was waiting. :) I do love getting denim skirts from the thrift stores. It seems like you can never have enough. Of course, that is until it's time to do the laundry...... Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent quite a bit of time in the Christmas section just this weekend, Jessica. And we've spent time looking at light fixtures. That's how I knew what I wanted when they went on sale. :) I'm just grateful for my guy's willingness and hard work! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Heehee, what a great idea!
    Mind you, I'm not much of a sitting around person myself - I'd be more into dividing and conquering the list so we could get out of there and move on to the next thing. But the idea still cracks me up!
    Love that your kids have books with them to keep the occupied, even in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to divide and conquer, but there is so much I don't know about the home-building process. My husband truly is the brain behind all of this. And a lot of it is out of our hands and dependent on how quickly the guys at the pro desk do their part. But when it came time to pick out lights...done and in the cart! :) And our children don't even ask how long we'll be out anymore. They just grab plenty of books! :)

      Delete
  4. THAT is a GREAT IDEA! But, I usually have my own project list to take to the home improvement store. I LOVE looking at the aesthetic stuff: paint, molding/"gingerbread", light fixtures, magazines, plants, bird-feeders, etc. :) Excited to see your house progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magazines are amazing, aren't they, Lara? I need to spend more time there next time.... :)

      Delete
  5. Great idea! Get the petition started! And the "double-duty" souvenir practice is such a wise way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be my first signature, Debbie! :)

      Delete
  6. This is so funny! I've often said the same thing to my husband during the last two years while remodeling our basement. They at least need to have a craft/scrapbooking section!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, Tina, what a fantastic idea! Combine the home improvement store with someplace like Hobby Lobby, throw in a place to buy a good coffee...perfection. :)

      Delete
  7. There's so much at those home improvement stores that I could just wander and look at and say "If I had a million dollars ... I'd buy that and that and that" lol BUT once in a while it would be great to sit down in a comfy chair and say "I'll be waiting right here when you're done" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Chrystal. But if I had the million dollars, I might just want to pay someone to do all that improving for me. :)

      Delete
  8. You can add me to the petition! I don't mind going so much when its summer and they have garden swings up for display, but for the most part I'm happy to wait in the car with a book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a book...or a book while swinging! :)

      Delete
  9. I think you have a great idea there! I can't count how many hours I've stood leaning against shelving while waiting for my husband to check something out at a man store. Love how your kids found some great seating and a good read while they waited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our family motto: always bring a book. Mama too! :)

      Delete
  10. I love this! I am thrilled that this post was the most clicked on in the "Hearts for Home" Blog Hop last week. You are going to be featured on over 20 blogs, including mine! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)