Monday, October 21, 2013

My Daughter’s Modest Monday ~ When Spare Pieces Come Together

Most days, I consider myself to be significantly fashion-challenged. I find a few outfits I like, and I keep wearing them until they’re worn out and I have to figure out what comes next.

My girls are turning out the same way. We enjoy shopping together, and sometimes squeal over a cute skirt or shirt or pair of shoes. But it’s not a hobby or a way of life for us.

And yet, every once in a while, the heavens open and the angels sing and a few spare pieces come together to create something new and exciting. J

The 12yo wore this last Sunday to church when it was, obviously, sunny and a little warm. We’d like to find a cardigan or a longer-sleeved shrug for cooler temperatures. Think we might have to go shopping…. J





What the 12yo wore ~

Brown corduroy skirt ~ thrift store on half-price day ~ We found this in May, and the poor girl had to wait until now to wear it! J Aren't the beads around the hem gorgeous?
Beige tee-shirt ~ Kohl’s sale ~ We actually bought this to layer under a blouse with a sagging neckline.
Beige belt ~ hand-me-down from me 
Fabric flower ~ you’ve seen this flower made from fabric scraps before J 
Brown shoes ~ Payless sale


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Half-up with a twist in medium Celtic Knot Brown


Since I’m a literature nerd, I can’t let you go without sharing this poem by Robert Frost. {Yes, I know I lured you in here with a modesty post. *insert evil laugh* Keep scrolling if you choose.} It actually came to my attention through the Menards sale paper. Did you know they print quotes at the bottom of every page? How cool is that?

October by Robert Frost

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow’s wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away.
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes’ sake, if they were all,
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost—
For the grapes’ sake along the wall.







Are you fashion-challenged? Or do you love clothes?

Or if you want to discuss the poem, don’t you wish we could say to this glorious autumn season, “Slow, slow!”? J





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

27 comments:

  1. That's funny that my daughter and I are the same way about shopping. I really don't like it and she is learning to like it in small quantities.
    Your daughters outfit is lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps just enjoy the time together, Crystal. I think that's the biggest draw for me. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I am catching up on blog reading and I have to say, I love that your kiddos enjoy reading so much! I think it's awesome when kids learn to truly love reading!

    You sound like me, when it comes to the fashion department. Except my dress consitis of a few pairs of jeans and some t-shirts. Pretty much the same as when I was in high school. Pretty boring!
    I do occasionally find and outfit I like, but it does seam to be very casual to everyone else. I wish I enjoyed dressing up more, but jeans are my friend!
    Someday, I'll break out of my shell and dress "fashionably" like most others. Maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say that your daughter looks beautiful in her outfit. And I just love seeing such long beautiful hair. Makes me really miss mine!

      Delete
    2. We all just have different interests, different ways of expressing ourselves. Some paint or draw, some sculpt, some write, some are gifted with fashion or hair.... Some can do all of those! :) Thanks for stopping in, Amber.

      Delete
  3. Great poem!
    Isn't it neat how a little thing like a flower can really "make" an outfit?
    I do like clothes - anything with color and texture, really. And since I have a goal to show by example to my church community that it really is possible to be modest and still look cute, (the current thinking here tends to place style over modesty, unfortunately) I put even more effort into my outfits than I would otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make an excellent point, one worthy of an entire blog post. We aren't supposed to care what others think of us, and yet we need to witness. We shouldn't obsess or worry over clothing, yet we need to take enough care to present ourselves well. It's a delicate balance, different for everyone, and too often made a bone of contention in Christian circles. Hmm...have to think about this one some more. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, once again. Love her hair. My girls have long hair, but it's been cut a few times. My oldest has extremely thick hair and it frustrates her. So, she asked me to layer it the other day. It brought the curl out big time. My 9 year old asked for a trim the other day, but I haven't received a good reason to do it. I love long hair. My five year old has long hair, but extremely thin. It tangles easily. She is my only daughter with blond hair. My 2 year old has very curly hair. It looks short until it gets wet - then the length is to her shoulder blades. My hair is long and I have cut it every time I have a baby. This time around, I haven't. I am debating it. I asked my husband and he is torn because he likes long hair, but also likes it short. He says he loves to run his fingers through it when it's short. :)

    I like the pictures you share on Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, curl! {Note to self: thou shalt not covet.} We all have fairly fine hair, stick straight. If we cut it, it would still be fine and stick straight. :) You all sound like you have beautiful hair, Rachel!

      Delete
  5. A very cute thrown together outfit of bits and pieces. Looks like they were all carefully chosen to go together. The shoes are especially adorable to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish someone made shoes like that for adults, Sylvia! And like was mentioned above, I think the flower is what really pulled it together. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Love that poem Meghan! And your daughter is beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute outfit and lovely poem I tend to be fashion challenged, but I would be much worse off without my local Goodwill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Deb. I find more and better selection at Goodwill than I do at the places I normally shop. If the clothing is in good shape, it's like shopping at several stores at once.

      Delete
  8. I love Robert Frost's poetry! I'm naturally fashion challenged but I'm learning to love clothes more :-) I love the Lilla Rose hair clips too!
    Bree @ lovesimpleandtrue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beads around the hem are gorgeous, they give the already pretty skirt that little extra umpf! And the flower finishes up the whole look - love the outfit. Very fall-y!
    Also love that your kids are so into reading! Reading rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the whole store heard the 12yo's squeals of delight when we found that skirt! Thanks, Bibi! :)

      Delete
  10. OK, this is the middle of the night (in case I don't make sense) and I will go back to bed soon :-) Cute skirt and flower on the blouse. Love her long long hair. My daughters hair used to be to their hips. One is 28 and needed to cut it as for some reason it wasn't as healthy. It is doing better. One cut it and layers it now. Looks so nice. Mine used to be as long as your daughter's a couple times when I couldn't get out to get it cut (LOL) because the kids were little. Now my hair is short (about my hips) because I don't like how it behaves when it is short.

    As to the poem: You tricked me!! And I loved it!! I love Robert Frost!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make sense, Judith. :) Thank you for taking time in the middle of the night to comment here. Hope you got some wonderful rest!

      Delete
  11. I love your daughters hair! Mine won't grow much past my shoulders. I've always wanted really long hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting how we're all so different? Is there something you could do to make your hair grow? Vitamins or a treatment or something? I know so little about stuff like that.

      Delete
  12. Do you wear your hair uncut - it seems to me like you do. It Looks very nice! Your blog is a great Inspiration to me!

    Greetings and Blessings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daughter in these pictures has never had her hair cut...except for several years ago when she got bubble gum caught in the little hairs around her forehead. :) Thanks so much for hopping over from Germany, Pfade!

      Delete
  13. My mother and I went shopping every Saturday afternoon and it was a great joy for us! I've always been a bit of a fashionista, so I would check out magazines and try to adapt thrift store finds to the way they were styled. Granted, fashion was going through a more modest phase when I was your Daughter's age. I would recommend the Blog Fresh Modesty if you haven't already checked it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh Modesty is a great blog! I saw a blog post (not Fresh Modesty) a few weeks back of a woman who looked at Pinterest and tried to match up pieces in her closet to put together new outfits like what she had seen. It worked really well. The modern version of magazines! :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)