Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Perennial Fun of Fabric Flowers {A No-Sew Tutorial}

Away back when, I usually to accessorize everything. Like totally, dude. {Hmm. Can you tell when I grew up? J}

I had belts and shoes and purses that matched. I had scarves, worn at the waist in place of a belt. I had barrettes and hair-clippie-thingies in every color. I had more real and costume jewelry than I knew what to do with, even though I always found it slightly annoying, all those bangles and bits of metal rubbing on my skin.

And then I had children.

Not only did those accessories get in the way of my little Klingons, but I couldn’t get my bleary eyes to focus enough to get it all together.

Have you been there? J

My youngest is now two-and-a-half, and accessories have been creeping back into my life. Well, just scarves, but now also these fun fabric flowers my older girls and I can make together.

I’m particularly excited to post this today because it’s no-sew. That means super-duper-easy! J

I first saw these when a friend at church demonstrated these flowers to the ladies at our monthly meeting, but I dilly-dallied and didn’t make any for nearly a year. Then, when I was ready to make one, I looked online for a refresher how-to. I found a terrific tutorial at Simply Vintage Girl. You can also find it on my Pinterest board.

Start by creating six circle patterns out of paper or cardboard or cardstock. These can be reused for multiple flowers. The diameter of the largest circle is about four inches, and each one is about a half-inch smaller.


Once you choose your synthetic fabric, cut out the right size circles. We went to the fabric store and purchased four inch strips of our chosen material. When the strip is anywhere from 44 inches long to 60 inches long, you can make a LOT of flowers. J You will also need a small circle of felt for the back.


Once you’ve cut the circles out, snip the edges about a half-inch deep in five different places, evenly spaced. Exactness is not necessary and is, in fact, desired to add to the uniqueness of each flower.

{This next part requires extreme care. Please do not let little children near the candle.}

Hold the edge of the circle over the flame, not in the flame, so that the edge of the fabric melts and curls in ever-so-slightly. Simply Vintage Girl recommends a tea light. I only had a jar candle, so perhaps the flame was larger than with a smaller candle. I quickly discovered the danger of this part and put on an ugly Ove-Glove…but it kept me from burning myself. If you look closely at the picture, you can see that the edges of a couple of the flowers browned a bit. Ideally, you’ll just melt the fabric, not burn it. J



{This next part also requires extreme care. Always use caution with a hot glue gun.}

Using a glue gun, glue the layers together. You'll also want to glue something in the center of the flower, a button or beads or bling of some sort.


Glue the felt circle on the back, and glue a pin to the felt. I like to see the finished flower first and decide which way looks best up. Then I glue the pin toward the top of the felt circle.


You could also glue a hair clip on the back and wear the flower in your hair. That’s my plan…once I purchase the clips.

See? Super-duper-easy! J

Enjoy!







Have you made these flowers? What’s your favorite color combination?



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. These are so pretty.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try making some for Christmas gifts. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for suggesting gift-making, Elizabeth. They would make great stocking stuffers for girls or package toppers. I meant to mention that in the post and completely forgot. :)

      Delete
  3. So was the pun about "perennial" fun with flowers intended? ;-)
    These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to wear flowers, but I hate having to pay what some people charge to make custom flowers to match my outfits. (I have seen some like these go for as much as 25.00) I knew how to make them except for curling the edges so thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, $25??? Maybe I need to set up a booth at a craft fair! :) I'm glad you found it helpful.

      Delete
  5. Those are so nice looking! Thank you for the excellent tutorial, these would be great for our ladies group to make for the church bazaar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A group assembly line? Sounds fun! :) Then, sell them for $25 each and use the money for the church?

      Delete
  6. So very cute! I can see these as cute hair clips for my daughter or fancy pins for her clothes or even top of her shoes (it's a thing to decorate your shoes here too).
    They could be hot glued onto head bands or cute Easter and Christmas hats.

    Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would be soooo cute on the tops of shoes, Amber! Thanks for the wonderful idea. :)

      Delete
  7. Cute! I like a tutorial with pics, I'm a visual learner. I feel like I could easily make these now. Great post! Stopping over from Making My Home Sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful, Mindy. Have fun!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love this idea, Meghan! I think my girls and I will have to make these!

    One question: what's the purpose of browning the edges of the fabric? Just for looks or is it necessary? Sorry if I missed that in your post. I'm just wondering if we might skip that step.

    Thanks!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No purpose, Keri. Just my mess-up. :) Definitely skip it! Maybe a smaller flame, like from a tea light candle? Or one of those melting guns? Or just being a better crafter. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi there. I am a huge crafter, it is the one huge passion in my life that has been my therapy for years. These fabric flowers seem to easy and I thank you for sharing this! I found your website through the Thriving Thursday linkup. Glad I did. I'm a new homeschool mom this year and have started a new blog for homeschooling and would love it if you would follow me and give me any tips/advice that can help me in my new journey. Have a great day!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    ♥ School of Dreamz ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here, Jo! I'll stop over. Blessings! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, my girls will LOVE doing this! Thank you so much... I had never heard of these! (Yeah, I'm a dork sometimes! LOL) I can see them adorning EVERYTHING with flowers, they love that sort of thing and yes, this will definitely help with Christmas costs. Many blessings to you, you just blessed our household immensely! (I will post pics and credit a link back to you once I get the supplies... keep an eye on http://PlantingGodlySeeds.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it helpful, Ella. Have fun with it, and I'll watch for your post. Many blessings to you! :)

      Delete
  11. I love no sew projects! This is so neat!
    I have a giveaway going on, would love for you to check it out! http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)