Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Five Ways to Use Social Media as a Ministry Tool

When I first joined Facebook, I really wasn’t sure what to do with it. I loved reading other’s updates, but I didn’t think anyone would want to know that I fed my children PB&Js for lunch.

Then, when I joined Twitter, I was completely and utterly lost. It seemed to be all self-promotion, and self-promotion just makes me feel icky. Plus, I didn’t think I had anything to promote.

Next came Pinterest and another ten pounds along with elaborately impossible plans to renovate and decorate my home. J

I’m not here to convince you that you need to be on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. Pray about it, and mind the Lord.

But with social media, we have the opportunity to inject a little bit of hope, a little bit of encouragement, a little bit of the gospel, into people’s lives. 


“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” {1 Thessalonians 5:11}


Two cautions:

  1. Be careful of your time spent.
  2. Be careful of whom you follow or friend.


So, what can you post to be encouraging on social media?

  1. Scripture. Can’t get any better than that. Gospel truth, and you don’t even have to write it yourself.
  2. Quotes from devotional books, like Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. You don’t have to write that either, but make sure you give proper credit to the author.
  3. Prayers. Something like “Praying for the peace that surpasses all understanding for you today.” Or “Father God, bless us with the peace that surpasses all understanding today. Amen.”
  4. Request for prayer. Either pass on someone else’s prayer or share your own. (Obviously, don’t make it something you don’t want the whole world to know.) Those who feel it a burden to pray for you will just keep scrolling. Others will be blessed by the opportunity.
  5. Encouraging or just plain pretty images, perhaps with some Scripture or perhaps not. In a hectic day, a glimpse of a picture of an empty bench sitting along a winding path can calm the harried soul. Mountains, beaches, cottages, whatever you find refreshing.


I'm no expert, and sometimes I still share about peanut butter and jelly. But I find myself more and more trying to write it in a way that encourages, or at least amuses, my friends.

And the next time you read a verse online or are soothed by a pretty picture, thank the Lord for that bit of encouragement.








You always have great ideas! How else can we encourage others on social media?



It's a surprise Lilla Rose sale! Yippee!



~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I see a lot of "drama" (and admittedly have shared my own drama) - but how much better it is to use it to encourage and uplift!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many times, Rosilind, I end up encouraging myself when I try to encourage others. Win-win! :)

      Delete
  2. Love your tips! So well done.Thank you for the advice!

    And I will heed your last statement! Good one.

    xoxo
    Be well...saw you lined as well at HFH hop....



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. Many blessings to you! :-)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your Facebook posts. They encourage me, make me laugh, and sometimes just give me the pick-me-up I need! Keep ministering, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips - simple but very powerful when following the Lord's leading. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisdom there, Tonia, that could apply to so much in life -- simple but powerful when the Lord leads. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I've missed visiting you. I've been writing and writing. These are good tips. I've been a fan of using media for the glory of God. Excellent tips, Meghan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. I'm anxious to see what you've been writing! :-)

      Delete
  6. Good reminders, Meghan. I'm teaching on this subject next week here in Budapest, and it was refreshing to see that God has shown us some similar ways to use social networks for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I am so enjoying seeing the pictures and reading your posts about your trip. I'm amazed that you are still able to keep up with social media! Praying that your sessions go well and for the glory of God! :-)

      Delete
  7. This is a really great post!! Social Media is so important (with moderation) and a tool for sharing the gospel and encouraging other women. I like that since I am at home most of the time without the van.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes our reach seems so limited, doesn't it, Judith? But it really isn't anymore. :-)

      Delete
  8. This is a great reminder! I've found that posting directly on someone's wall (timeline? ...whatever Facebook is calling it now!) with a "hey! You're on my heart today, how can I be praying for you?" (when God has really put them on my heart!) has reaped a harvest...FB friends & family who aren't believers will seek me out when they're looking for counsel or prayer because they sense that I do care about them.

    I also find that posting truly funny quips & quotes from my daughters (not every little cute thing they do, but the whoppers - the 'where in the world did they get that?!' stories) tends to bring a much-needed lift to someone else's day (usually, my mom's!).

    Thank you for sharing! I'm visiting from the Living Proverbs 31 Link-up :)
    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both excellent suggestions, Lisha! Sometimes, as long as it's not a constant flow, I think photos of our children can be uplifting as well. Thank you so much for your wonderful ideas!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this gentle admonishment, Meghan. In this day and age, we need reminders to bring our focus back to where it needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another good suggestion, Linda, although I don't think you intended it to be a suggestion. :) It's ironic but also appropriate to see admonishments on social media to get off social media and spend time with family and the Lord.

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)