Friday, October 4, 2013

The Mystery of the Creepy Creature in the Garage ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday! What do you have planned this weekend? And what happened to that fall weather? J




At the Carver Homestead, it’s been a creepy week, and we don’t even “celebrate” Halloween!


In our homeschool this week…


Over last weekend, a wolf spider took up residence on our slider screen door. They are the only “cool” spider, and they don’t make my skin crawl…as long as they are on the other side of the glass. J Wolf spiders don’t spin webs. They hunt and jump on their prey. So, we’ve had the *ahem* pleasure of watching Wolfie gorge himself on mayflies. 



In other oddities, the 7yo has been reading a phonics book about a cereal named Winkies. It’s a cute story about a boy who imagines all kinds of toys and creatures in his cereal box. However, there are green eyeballs on everything, hence, I suppose, the name Winkies. Want to see the 7yo's imitation of the eyeball? J




In our garage this week…

*cue scary music*

On Monday night, the 13yo and I ran out to finish some shopping for the 11yo’s birthday coming up. When we arrived home, the 13yo grabbed a bag and headed inside. I went around the side of the van to get the other bag and in the vacuum of quiet after the 13yo’s babble, I heard raspy breathing in the corner of the garage nearest me.

“Steve!” I stepped back slowly, not wishing to draw attention to myself but in dire need of rescue. Visions of opossums, weasels, and overgrown raccoons with teeth like daggers clouded my mind.

The house was silent, the door firmly shut.

Without moving my feet, I leaned to the side to peer behind the lawnmower, praying that I wouldn’t find two beady eyes staring back at me.

“Steve!” Louder this time.

I liked the gift I had bought for the 11yo’s birthday, but it wasn’t worth getting a chunk bitten out of my ankle. I stepped back a little more.

My hero finally emerged from the house. “What is it?” His expression was sufficiently perplexed and concerned to speak my love language at that moment. Safety.

“I think there’s something in here. I can hear it breathing.”

A flashlight search was to no avail. We retreated inside for the night, and I felt secure with a solid door between us and the creepy breathing.

Tuesday morning, the children were peacefully doing school and I was checking in with my Facebook peeps when we heard a loud thunk from the garage. Something had fallen over. Or had it been knocked over?
Investigation was required.

Slowly, ever-so-cautiously so as not to be rushed at by a wild creature determined to chew my foot off, I opened the door. A few inches allowed me to reach slowly to the garage door opener. I opened the big garage door several inches in the hopes the creature would escape, then closed and locked the interior door. I didn’t want to take the chance that it could work a doorknob.

The 13yo and I retreated to the den at the front of the house.

“I wonder if we ought to set up a surveillance camera,” I suggested. “We can’t see the front of the garage from here.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

“Why don’t you go set it up, right out there at the corner of the front walk?” I pointed to the perfect spot.

Her hands fluttered to her chest. “Me?” she squeaked.

“How else will we know if anything comes out?”

“We could just listen for the breathing again.”

Several minutes passed as we stood in silence, debating, watching through the windows, both of us too afraid to step outside.

Our wait didn’t last long, though. Our vigilance was rewarded by an image of the ferocious beast that had laid in wait in the dark recesses of our garage.





I’m perfectly willing to admit we’ve read too many Nancy Drew books. J


On the blog this week…





Have a wonderful and blessed {and creep-free J} weekend!







How was your week?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. That's wonderful. The creepies are no fun, but when you find out they're not big and scary, they're kind of cute. Metaphor for life??? Maybe, although It could certainly be extended too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about, "Do not be afraid"? My imagination goes so wild that I need that reminder. :) And he was definitely cute! :)

      Delete
  2. This Kiwi thinks your ferocious garage lurker is really pretty cute! Wolfie, however...not so much. :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I'd have been terrified of the squirrel! They freak me out since one chased me for my cookies as a child LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Chrystal! He's adorable in the photo, but I'm sure I wouldn't want one chasing me either!

      Delete
  4. You might have been reading too many Nancy Drew books but I also think you get an A for creative writing. It was full of suspense and wonder as we waited to learn what was hiding in there waiting for just the right moment to attack. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! There was quite a bit of suspense in the house as we wondered what was hiding! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my! I was on the edge of my seat wondering what great beast was lurking in your garage. And I about fell out of my chair when the great beast was revealed! You were right to fear for your ankles!

    Too funny! I am glad to find, as I know you were, that it was not some great man-eating beast but a little squirrel instead. So cute too!

    Such great writing! Sounds like you may have a great idea for a children's book, "The great beast in the garage." I bet you could have some fun with this story in a way kids would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your encouragement, Amber, of my writing! I actually have written several children's books but am not sure what to do with them. I've thought of self-publishing and just making them available on the blog, but e-books don't appeal to children like they do to adults and paper books can be expensive to print and then ship. Still praying about that option. Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  6. I agree that you are a good story teller! Glad it was just a squirrel. I'm hopping over from A Mama's Story, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, Casey! :) Thanks for hopping over, and have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. I think Halloween coming up may be putting a spooky twist on things. Although, hearing something breathing, that I can't see, would be creepy anytime, I have to admit. What an adventure you all had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tiffany, and I'm glad the creepiness is over! :)

      Delete
  8. Awww, sometimes I'm glad I don't have a garage...... the smallest noise makes me jump and run! I would have been terrified, hearing the breathing and being alone in the garage like you were!
    Great writing, really enjoyed reading the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bibi. It was fun to write. :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)