Friday, October 18, 2013

The One That’s All about Reading ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Huzzah! It’s Friday! J



What an icky thing growing in our yard this week! But the icky things are sometimes kind of cool to look at, aren’t they? Of course, if it was drawn in pink and purple in a children’s book, you could imagine fairies hiding under it in the rain. It’s all about perspective.


In our homeschool this week…

We’ve received rain off and on, and it truly does seem that mostly our week has been reading…curled up under a blanket, sipping cider in the glow of pumpkin spice candles.

Pure bliss.

The 7yo is finishing the last level of Hooked on Phonics today and is thrilled to have her own books that she can read to the two little boys.





I’m reading…

Love Inspired books, some holiday, some not. Love Inspired is a Christian fiction romance line published by Harlequin. They have contemporary romances, historical romances, and romantic suspense, all very clean with a strong faith element. They are a little shorter than the typical novel and run about 200 pages. That also makes them less expensive and quite available at the public library. They are quick, light reads, and I’m enjoying getting to know their style.

Yes, most Harlequin lines I would never read. But it’s wonderful that they have this Christian line that emphasizes faith and commitment.

Next week, I’ll probably be back to women’s fiction or legal suspense. Variety can be the spice of life! J


The 13yo has read…

Kiriath’s Quest by my friend Rick Barry! Rick is the president of our Indiana chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers. We caught up with him at a fall festival where he was selling his books. We bought home autographed copies, and the children were enthralled with meeting the author! J



In an effort to help Rick get the word out about his books, the 13yo wrote a review to post on Amazon.

“I read Kiriath’s Quest in less than two days. I really liked it.

It was very exciting. I enjoy action books, and the action started on page one. All the different creatures were very interesting – flying snakes, Grishnaki, and attacking plants. I enjoyed trying to figure out who the traitor was. (I guessed wrong, but I did figure out what the purple gem in the sword did before Kiriath.)”



The 12yo is reading…

For several days, she read the wonderfulness of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.


Now, she’s on to Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

The classics…she’s a girl after my own heart. J


The 9yo is reading…

Gunner’s Run, also by Rick Barry. It’s a historical young adult story of a WWII pilot who falls out of his plane over Nazi Germany.




On the blog this week…

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ At the Manly Home ImprovementStore Yeah, we’ve been spending a lot of time there. J



Prayers for a wonderfully autumnal weekend!







How was your week? What do you like to read?



A surprise sale this weekend from Lilla Rose! Yahoo!







~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I love hearing about what others are reading. I have been reading a lot of non-fiction this year. Just finished a very fine non-fiction Christian book and am now into another. I love to read things that are uplifting and inspire me to want to do and be better. Sounds like a good week! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non-fiction can be so good for us, can't it, Deb? I find that I do best alternating non-fiction with fiction. It seems I need a bit of time to let the non-fiction sink in before I continue on to more. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I have a house full of readers too. I love seeing them pour over books and devour them in no time. I recently picked up an old set of Hardy Boys and my son in is hog heaven. I bought them on Ebay. They are in excellent condition for books from the fifties and sixties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE deals like that! My oldest son is devouring the Hardy Boys right now as well. Spent most of this afternoon finishing one and went right to the next. Enjoy your reading, and good job raising readers, Rachel! :-)

      Delete
  3. Always enjoy reading your wrap up, Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished "Devoted for Life" about the missionary, Adoniram Judson. Whew. It left me weeping. Am also reading "A Puritan Theology" and "Tortured for Christ." All of that is rather heavy reading right now, but that is where I am. :) Other than that, I loved "Redeeming Love" and the series "The Mark of the Lion" by none other than the blessed and gifted Francine Rivers. Sooooo gooooood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good books you've mentioned, Debbie. Our church every year passes around three different missionary books, and they are always intense but illuminating. There's always conviction for me after a book like that.

      Delete
  5. I love seeing pictures of kids reading, especially the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun when they start reading to each other. Thanks for commenting, Casey!

      Delete
  6. Hi Meghan,
    I'm jealous of your readers, really. I read to my 10 year old, and he let's me, but he has no passion for reading himself unless it's diving into a science text book. I wish he'd dive into an adventure series or Oliver Twist with much imagination and joy. But not so much. Oh well, he is great at drawing, math and science so I love him for who he is.
    I'd love for you to stop by and link up with my "This Week..." Homeschool in review link up.
    http://www.greatpeaceacademy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dive into a science textbook? Wow! That's impressive, especially since I can't think of anything I would have less interest in. :) I'll check out your link-up, and thanks for the invitation, Renee.

      Delete
  7. You have some cute pictures of the kids reading. The weather here is perfect for curling up with a book. I enjoy seeing what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. It was just one of those rare weeks where all the photos came together. :)

      Delete
  8. Great job with the reading kids! My kids struggle with reading (dyslexia), so they're not big on it. Dropping by from the HMJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you here, Michelle. Blessings! :)

      Delete
  9. I love books and it's fun to hear what you're reading. Love Little Women!

    I just started a link-up if you want to come check it out and link up with Memoir Monday! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 12yo's enthusiasm for Little Women makes me want to reread it. I'll hop over to your link-up, and thanks, Deborah! :)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)