Friday, November 15, 2013

Building a House Has Taken Over Our Lives ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Are you glad it’s the weekend? J


Our first snow of the season…although it barely lasted into the afternoon.


In our homeschool this week…

On Monday, I let the 13yo skip her last subject of the day, spelling. It was late in the afternoon, and I just didn’t want to make her sit down and do it. Instead, she took off for a couple hours…to our building site with her father and the other Bigs. They covered a few things with plastic for weather protection and picked up a lot of the trash pile.

On Tuesday, I fell asleep while the 7yo was reading to me. I think I was still overly tired from that cold last week and staying up late to manage the home-building receipts and work through the finances again and help my husband estimate how much drywall we’ll need. I managed to keep my peepers open long enough to finish the phonics, but then the 7yo laid a pillow under my head and the 13yo and the 11yo lead her through her math lesson.

On Wednesday, we took a half-hour break from lessons to watch the farmer harvest his crop out our back window.



On Thursday, the Bigs went outside…to straighten up some scrap wood and put away some building supplies.


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

This home-building project has changed our schedule as well as our priorities. I am sooo glad we started school in July!

But there are tons of other learning opportunities that don’t confine themselves to books and chairs and a strict schedule. Safety with tools and proper tool usage, caring for the Littles, organizing a work space, understanding why quality matters, working hard until you’re tired, the nuts and bolts of construction. And there’s not space enough in this blog post to tell all the ways math has been put into action! J

So let’s not be hard on ourselves and think we’re not adequate homeschoolers because our children don’t always, every day, follow the routines or practices of others. Flexibility is perhaps the most glorious and wonderful aspect of homeschooling. A close second would be the ability to weave practical life skills learning into the fabric of our children’s lives. 






I’m praying about…

This house building project is turning out to be so much more time-consuming that either my husband or I realized. There’s no regret there. But I’ve been thinking and praying about some adjustments in how I spend my time, at least temporarily.

You can probably see where this is going. J

I’m praying about taking my blogging down to two days each week, perhaps Tuesday and Friday and just through New Year’s. The Tuesday post could alternate between a modesty/fashion post and just a grab-bag style post in one of my usual subjects, including the Wise Woman Builds Her Home series. The Friday post could alternate between the Homeschool Mother’s Journal and a homeschooling post, like how-to’s and encouragements.

One thing I know for sure, I need to do more of this…


…and worry less about this. J


There are far worse things in life than a stack of papers and binders on the countertop.


On the blog this week…



Our house this week…

Windows were installed, and we had some more materials delivered. We’re looking forward to a roof this coming week.





 Prayers for a wonderful weekend! J








How was your week?



Linking with Great Peace Academy.


~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan! I just wanted to give a word of encouragement. Hang in there. It does get better but it does take a while. Although we have never built a home from the ground up, my husband and I did buy a very old house (almost 100 years old) and it has been a labor of love. We have had to gut out everything, right to the studs. Walls, ceilings, floors, you name it we've replaced it. Right now we are taking a break from the kitchen remodel. That was the worst. We are still not done but at least we now have running water which is such a blessing! For 2 to 3 months we had to do dishes and get all our water from a utility sink in our basement. Not fun! =) Oh, the stories I could tell you! Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you and let you know that your home is already beautiful and you really are
    getting it done rather quickly. (even though I'm sure it doesn't feel that way sometimes) Hang in there. It will be worth it in the end. We are still trying to get our "mojo" back with homeschooling but I've decided to give myself a break. It will come. As you said, there's all kinds of things to learn and all kinds of ways in which to learn them! God bless. ~Tammey

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do what you have to do and let it be for your benefit. Don't worry about the people that follow your blog they will understand. Love the pics of the house. Looking so good!!!

    GOD BLESS!!!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house is looking great, Meghan! You sound very relaxed - well done! I remember what I was like when we had our house extended (in a major way so we moved out for six months). We are still appreciating flexibility and life lessons round here as my husband continues to heal from surgery for a broken ankle. Learning to overlook the piles of papers is work in progress for me too :-)
    Happy weekend! Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house look fabulous! It's definitely coming along!!! I think cutting down your blogging and worrying could save a bit of your sanity. I'm also increasing our crock pot meals...its just easier. I also cook on Sunday and make two meals - one for Sunday PM and another casserole ready to go for Monday PM ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the way I figure it, spelling and social studies have their place, but the practical life lessons you are showing them, can't be learned in books.

    Also, think of the memories they'll have! I think it's safe to say they'll remember the year they helped build their house, much clearer over other years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun week!! How exciting to build a house--yes all of your experiences are a part of learning. :) I love it!! :) And wow!! SNOW!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)