Monday, November 4, 2013

My Daughters’ Modest Monday ~ The Bigs Are Baptized!

A mama’s heart has no limit on the amount of joy it can hold! J

The 13yo, 12yo, and 9yo were baptized yesterday!


It was a beautiful day for baptisms!

“Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. And John tried to prevent Him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?’ But Jesus answered and said to him, ‘Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.’ Then he allowed Him. When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, ‘This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.’” ~ Matthew 3:13-17

Our little country church wasn’t built with a baptismal, so we bought a portable baptismal. This past Sunday, we had our first baptismal service with the new pool. Fourteen in all were baptized, including several adults. {No one has a swimming pool, and in the past, the church has rented a church with a baptismal. But this hadn’t been done in the almost eleven years we’ve been there.}

We are blessed to be a part of a church that values modesty. So when it came time to plan the logistics of being baptized, our pastor discussed what the candidates should wear, emphasizing the need for modesty both in climbing over the rather tall walls of the baptismal and also while in the water.

Baptism doesn’t save you and get you to heaven, though, and neither does modesty, however you define it. They are both matters of the heart and an outward manifestation of faith. The greatest concern in life is to believe in your heart and state with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord. {Romans 10:9-10}



The girls thought they would be more comfortable {physically, climbing over the side of the baptismal and back out} in everyday clothes, so they opted for denim skirts. I didn’t care, as long as they understood what they were doing and it was their own decision, not something they thought they needed to do because we wanted it.



One girl wore a denim skirt that was narrow down to the knee and then twirled out for the bottom half. The other girl wore a skirt with a back slit to the knee so that, when she stepped over the side, it gave in the back but still draped down in the front.


The boy too!


Many blessings to you! J







Have you been baptized? What did you wear?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so very happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! Some wonderful moments!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!
    So happy for you and your older children!
    What a blessing to see your children be baptized and know they understand the choice and made it on their own.
    The kids are I have been taking about getting baptized here soon at our church. My 9 year old has been asking for awhile now and I am proud of him for working to understand what it means and I am so happy that he has come to this decision on his own. Even my 5 year old son wants to and seems to understand what it means as well.
    And as far as what they will wear I'm not sure, but my youngest has asked if he was allowed to wear his goggles, because he doesn't like water in his eyes. He made me laugh with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of my children would have appreciated goggles, Amber! The 13yo had planned to take her glasses off and then forgot. Her towel was so wet later that she had a hard time getting them dry.

      How terrific that your children are interested and eager! :-)

      Delete
  3. How wonderful!

    The churches we were baptized in all had the modest white robes. Made it easy to do on the day someone requested it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I saw you Pastor, it dawned on me where you attend church and who you are! :) My husband Dave has come down and filled in for you pastor several times. Now I have finally "put two and two together"! Blessings on you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blogger profile isn't available, Leah, so I'm going to have to confess that I can't place your name or your husband's name. *blush* Can you send me an email with more specifics? I'd love to put two and two together as well. :-)

      Delete
  5. In our church, the tradition is to wear all white symbolizing purity, since we arise out of the waters of baptism washed clean. The church even has modest white attire for both males and females in many sizes that can be borrowed for the sacred event. My mother made me my own white baptism dress and I kept it and my own daughters wore it. In our church, eight-years-old is the normal (minimum) baptism age for children. Infants are innocent and pure and do not need baptism, in our doctrine. So glad your family was able to participate in this special and sacred event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that tradition, Deb! I thought briefly about making new dresses for the girls, but I would not have thought of white. That would have been something to pass down. Well, maybe when the 7yo is ready.... :-)

      Delete
  6. How exciting! congratulations! When I was baptized, our church didn't have a baptistery either so we went to a neighboring town and used their facilities. The water was soooooo cold! I wore the long pink dress that I wore in my aunts wedding (I was 8 or 9 years old).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sweet memories for the dress! But perhaps you wish you'd had a wet suit on underneath. :-)

      Delete
  7. I was baptized in a small country church w/ no baptistry. I was baptized the old-fashioned way, outside in a creek :)

    Congratulations to your family! What a blessed event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought being baptized in a creek or pond sounded terrific, but it might be a bit chilly in November! :-) Thanks, Crystal!

      Delete
    2. lol...I was baptized in late October, and yes it was quite chilly! lol.

      Delete
  8. God bless you and your children! I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Meghan! You must be so proud. ;) May God continue to draw your children closer to Himself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jillian. Great prayer for everyday. :-)

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful Blessing! So Happy for you!
    In our Church we Baptize Babies - and we clothe them in White after their Baptism & for the following three Sundays when they take Holy Communion for their first few times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to your children! In my church there were white baptism robes....the only problem with white is that it's see-through when wet. :) It was something we were told to be mindful of when we chose what we would wear underneath. : )

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)