Monday, November 25, 2013

My Daughter's Modest Monday ~ Little Sister in the Kitchen

Are you an apron-wearer?

Does the thought of a day in the kitchen this Wednesday, donning a girly apron and prepping for a mega-meal on Thursday, make your heart go pitter-pat?

My mother was not domestic, nor did she pass domesticity on to me. Oh, we kept a clean house, and we ate mostly at home. But keeping a home wasn't an activity my mother cherished and taught to me.

So, I'm self-taught on many things, I've picked up tips and tricks from friends and online, and my husband (who specifically learned how to cook when he was in high school just in case he married a woman who didn't know how to cook J) still does a lot of the work for big meals. But I've learned to cherish and embrace domesticity, especially when it comes to holidays.

That's a lot of blather just to come down to this ~ I love being in the kitchen, but I'm still not an apron-wearer.

But when it came time to prepare the ice cream cake for a birthday over the weekend, the 7yo piped up. "I can wear my apron!"

This girly girl loves everything pink and frilly and feminine, and her enthusiasm is such a boon to my practical, git-‘er-done attitude.

So we peeled wrappers off ice cream sandwiches, spread fudge topping, and sprinkled peanut butter cups as she twirled her skirt and swooshed her apron on her step stool.

I think I need an apron, one with lots of ruffles. J




What the 7yo wore ~

Denim and corduroy dress ~ originally made by me for the 12yo, then handed down J
Pink apron ~ made from scraps by me for costume/playtime ~ She sooo loved putting on her apron to be in the kitchen, I think she needs a real one soon. J
Fuzzy socks ~ Christmas gift from Nana to the 12yo, then handed down ~ perfect for keeping little tootsies warm and for indoor skating J



Lilla Rose flexi ~ oblong bun in medium Spring Bouquet ~ So much more attractive than a hair net for in the kitchen, don’t you think? J



In case you're unfamiliar with the ice cream cake, it's a simple layered creation we first read of in the Duggars' book, although I've seen similar recipes all over the internet. The two layers go like this ~

Ice cream sandwiches
Fudge topping
Cool Whip
Chopped-up candies

Vary it however you like -- different toppings, different candies, even different ice cream sandwiches.

Beware the richness, though. You'll slump under the table in a delectable, gooey, chocolate-induced haze.

Bon appetit!






Do you wear an apron in the kitchen? Keep your hair up? What are your Thanksgiving plans?



This sparkly flexi for December is gorgeous! I’ve already ordered one for myself and two different sizes for the girls. They won’t last long. 

If you’re on Facebook and you’d like an update about five times each week of sales, new flexis, etc., why not like my new Lilla Rose – Meghan Carver facebook page?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop




Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. I love the flexi clips! I got my very first one this past fall and I wear it almost every single day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them so much, I bought the company! :-) Okay, not really. But ever since I became a consultant over a year ago, I haven't worn anything else.

      Delete
  2. I always wear an apron in the kitchen (one a friend gave to me, after I admired it hanging on her pantry door - she never wore it!). Mine isn't frilly, but I find myself drooling over the pretty ruffly ones that I've seen for sale on some website or another.

    We eat the same ice cream cake, but with crushed Oreos mixed in the fudge layer. Such a great recipe! Love the plastic animals "helping" with the cake. Are they mini horses? I frequently find my 4 and 7 year old daughters' plastic horses corralled in the most interesting places all around the house.

    Looking forward to Thanksgiving with just the eight of us this year. Wednesday and Thursday will definitely be kitchen days, making all our traditional favorites. Then there are all those yummy left-overs and my husband's turkey soup. :)

    Blessings to you and your family as you enjoy this week of Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are miniature horses, and they eventually went on the cake for decoration. They appeared around the table too, to brighten it up. :-) We'll be "just the eight of us this year" also. Thanks, and have a terrific Thanksgiving, Kari!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I am a apron-wearing, head-covering mama who loves it when my three girls help me in the kitchen. They each have their own kid-sized aprons, too. :)

    My mom also kept a clean house & cooked faithfully for our family every night, but I was not interested in learning about that "unimportant stuff" when I was growing up (and boy, didn't that backfire when I got married at 21 and couldn't cook or clean!).

    Such a delightful post to read! Thanks for sharing. I'm already in a chocolate-induced haze just looking at that yummy dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisha, I have been so relieved that my daughters, and to some extent my sons, are interested in learning to cook. It's such a staple of life, and I had determined that they would know more than I did when I was married. Of course, making yummy desserts every now and then provides some incentive. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hello Meghan! I am a self-taught homemaker also. Still have a lot to learn, but by putting myself to the task through the years, with my girls by my side, they are now much better homemakers than I am!
    I am an apron-wearer, because I am messy. It truly saves $$ because of all the clothing I would ruin otherwise. And you are so right about that git 'er done attitude, an apron really helps.
    Your little model/helper is precious! I love her infectious smile and enthusiasm, and that apron is too cute. Good job, mom!
    and now, that dessert. Must try this - I'm sharing it with my 12yo daughter and will let her fix it up for us one day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! The homemaking is much more enjoyable when it includes a bit of fun with daughters, doesn't it? I can see already that my oldest knows more than I did when I got married. Maybe we all need aprons for Christmas? Enjoy the dessert! :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh my! That can't be good for you. :)

    She's cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing that dessert only comes about once a year. :-)

      Delete
  6. I love the apron, so cute. I've been thinking about getting some for myself because I have a bad habit of wiping my hands on my jeans while I'm cooking, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave me a light bulb moment, Rose. I have a daughter who, after washing her hands, wipes them on her skirt. Maybe an apron is the fix. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Love the post! Your little one is adorable! I have a question for you, if you have the time to answer in this oh so busy season! :) Do you give your children “Santa” gifts or lead them to believe in Santa Claus? We don’t, but still fill stockings for them, as this was one of my favorite parts of opening gifts on Christmas morning when I was young. I was just wondering your perspective (or anyone else’s) on this somewhat controversial topic. God’s Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsie! On the Santa question, we're kind of a work in progress. :-) But I'll be posting about that in December, so stay tuned.

      Delete
  8. I found your post at Wholehearted Wednesday. I have an 8 year old that would get along very well with your 7 year old :) I would rather be outside than in the kitchen, but my daughter loves working in the kitchen, and I'm happy to teach her how so she can take over ;) She would love your daughter's pink apron too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bigs are becoming quite capable of taking over the kitchen. It has been worth the effort! Thanks, Missy! :-)

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this!!!! I used to make my girls dresses and aprons too. I haven't worn an apron in a long time. Thanks for sharing this. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really just a play apron, but I think she'd love a "grown-up" apron, Judith. Thanks for taking time out to visit! :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)