Monday, November 11, 2013

My Daughter’s Modest Monday ~ To Save or Not to Save? That Is the Question.

My mother is a saver to the nth degree, particularly of clothing. In each of her two bedrooms she has a wall of closets. In her laundry room, she has another wall of closets. I helped her clean out a bit recently, and we found some keepers, but she’s also tried to pawn clothing off on me that I just don’t like.

Sometimes my response has been… “Seriously? You want me {my daughter} to wear that?”

Other times it was just a firm… “No thanks, Mom. But I bet Goodwill would appreciate it.”

… Until we found The Prize. The Gem. The Skirt Above All Skirts.

The heavens opened and the angels sang and my mother’s decades of saving clothes became worth every moment. J


It’s a sturdy Liz Claiborne denim skirt that she bought perhaps three decades ago. But then she didn’t care for it and handed it over to me. I loved it, and I remember wearing it on my third date with my now-husband. {And many dates after that.}

But then I was married, moved into my own home, and the skirt disappeared from my knowledge. Until now….

So, this brings up a continual dilemma for me.

To save or not to save? That is the question.

I love the idea of cleared-out closets, filled only with clothes we adore and that make us look fabulous. J
But I also love the idea of having clothes available as my children grow. Remember my belt the 13yo now wears? J

But then again, I would love the prospect of NOT moving boxes and boxes and boxes of items we might need in the future.

But on the other hand, I don’t want to have to spend money to replace items we used to have, especially with the way prices are increasing.

I don’t believe it’s a heart issue of not trusting God to provide in the future. For me, it’s an issue of being a good steward of our belongings. Would it be better for someone else to have the benefit of them right now, even if it costs more money in the future to replace them? Or would it be better to save and store what would probably be used by our children and grandchildren?

Ack! *buries face in hands*  J



What she wore ~

Denim skirt and belt ~ hand-me-down from Grandma {The 13yo and I don’t know if that belt and buckle are “in” or not, but we don’t really care. We think it looks snazzy!}
Striped shirt ~ Kohl’s sale last year {You saw that one in the apple orchard photos. J}
Brown socks ~ knee-hi’s from Wal-Mart
Brown Mary Jane’s ~ Payless sale last year


Lilla Rose flexi ~ Half-up in extra-small Music Lover’s clip







Do you save clothes? Why or why not?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about stewardship vs. "sharing with others"/less "clutter"!! :) It's a hard question. But now that my kids and I have Toxic Injury/Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, it takes 3-12 washings to get fabric softener out of Goodwill (and other pre-owned) clothing before we can wear it without getting sick, and the best fabric (by far) for us is 100% cotton. So, anything cotton and "un-scented" gets saved until it falls apart (and then becomes a possibility for crafts, making rice bags, etc. :) ) But without those considerations, it would still be a hard question! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Christa. I would definitely save for as long as I could under those circumstances. And when I find something good, buy as many as I could! :-)

      Delete
  2. I like that skirt! I've been on the look out for some longer denim skirts to wear this winter but have come up empty handed so far, and it's starting to get cold. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is heavy, too. It's a keeper! Enjoy your shopping. :-)

      Delete
  3. Lovely outfit! I think the belt makes the whole thing. I tend to wear things a long time, then pass them along to others for their use. This weekend, I have taken some shirts and other items out of my closet which will be given to Goodwill or the church thrift store. Ih ope to go through even more stuff later today! I don't think we need to get too attached to stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a continual bring some in, haul some out, isn't it, Deb? You make a good point -- we need to control the stuff, not let it control us.

      Delete
  4. I save clothes, but I only have a cardboard filing box for each size and for the larger sizes one for each season. I only save clothes that are still in good condition and that we liked. If my box lid doesn't fit I have to decide what to pass on to someone else. Once I am past my child-bearing years I will pass on the smallest sizes, maybe saving one or two things that will store well and be a fond memory for my girls when they have their own children. I have a whole box of clothes that are too small for me, but again I've only kept the nicest stuff that I liked. I was able to bless someone else with a skirt that fit what they were looking for the other day and put a smile on their face and mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good suggestions, Suanna. First, only save clothes that are in good condition and are favorites. (Not those holey jeans or pants with rotten elastic. :-) Some things that my children never wore more than once or twice are now gone.) Second, limit how much is saved. Love the idea of one tub and that's all that gets saved. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. This is so where I am right now! I wish you could see my daughter's bedroom cluttered with boxes and garbage bags FULL of clothes from baby to size 5. I'm trying to sort for future wearing, Goodwill, trash, and possible consigning. It's about to put me under (and drown the 18-month-year old). I pray before I work on this project because I don't want to be a hoarder, nor do I want to be extravagant and get rid of clothes that our children will need. It's a balancing act for sure, but we want to aim to be good stewards of the material blessings God has granted us while also not clinging to clothes that will not be worn. Good luck, Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a conundrum, isn't it, Keri? I love that you mentioned prayer! God will guide in all things. Nothing is too small for discussion with Him. :-) Blessings to you, and let's pray for each other in this endeavor. :-)

      Delete
  6. Give some, save some, pray about it all (right on, Keri!), but above all don't fret over it! Someday soon they will fly the coop and leave "stuff" and you'll give them 1 year to get that "stuff" outta the house and then it's yours by-golly! They you give them another year, and then five, and then you're giving their stuff to your grandchildren, just like your mama did. Oh and remember this: Look at the lilies of the fields, etc., and ask for wisdom. Your kindness to help your mom clean closets is an inspiration. What an example of a good daughter you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement, Debbie! You're right, of course. They're growing up before my eyes, and I don't have time to waste with fretting. Time to go hug my babies! :-)

      Delete
  7. I can be too much of a saver when it comes to clothing, and I'm trying to learn to clean out the closets more and reduce my stress level from too much stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jill, and I think we all have a different definition of "too much." But we definitely don't need more stress! :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm a saver! We have 14 children, ages 28-8, so things that did not wear out were saved and passed down, mostly with the girls. Then when things started to wear out it was made into something else!
    (including a denim couch cover that became several projects including an apron for a Birthday gift!)
    Even though 5 of the 14 have either married or moved out on their own we ALL still share and pass down, including with our daughter-in-loves! Now, if only socks would not wear out....*smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How incredibly cool, to make a denim couch cover out of old jeans! Love it! That's a great point -- some items can be saved simply for the value of the fabric and re-purposing them. Thanks for commenting! :-)

      Delete
  9. I love to save clothing. I have started buying things for my (hopefully!) future children ans storing them in my hope chest. I think it is wise to plan ahead.

    From,
    Morgan @ http://forgivenformerfeminist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of buying baby items for a hope chest, Morgan, but that's a good idea. Especially if you find something you adore! :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)