Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Framing Your Family ~ Wise Woman Builds Her Home Series

Framing is done on our house! That means our plan, our blueprint, has been followed and put in place.

We’ve already talked about having a blueprint for our family and the need to figure out house rules, home management responsibilities, income generation, and many other decisions to help a family get along and run smoothly in God’s will.

Framing is the part where we actually put it into place.

You’ve planned your work, now work your plan.

It can be scary standing up that first wall and hammering it into place. But soon you’ll stand up the second and the third and the fourth walls.

As I’ve watched our house grow from a hole in the ground to a sturdy frame these past eight weeks, I’ve learned a few things about building a home.


The frame is what holds the entire structure in place. Without those seemingly inconsequential 2x4s all arranged in just the proper order, there would be complete chaos and no reliable structure at all.

I know that’s obvious when it comes to building an actual structure, but think about it in terms of a family. What may seem like a small decision, such as who handles the bill-paying, can affect the entire family. If it isn’t done right, what do you get? Financial chaos.

Many times it takes longer than we expect. Our framer initially told us he needed a month. We are now going on nine weeks. I haven’t been praying for patience, but apparently the Lord thought I needed a lesson. J

Perhaps the actual beginning of child-bearing is or was delayed. It was over a year for us before I was pregnant with our oldest.

What about potty-training? My word, don’t get me started on that. J

And sometimes the discipline of a strong-willed child can seem unbearably everlasting.

Patience.

Other times adjustments are needed. Our plan looked great on paper, but once the studs were in place, the girls’ bathroom just felt tight. I didn’t want them to have to sidle through sideways, so we took another look at our plan and took a bit of space out of the boys’ closet to make the girls’ bathroom a bit easier to maneuver. Sometimes, priorities become more clear in the implementation. I mean, seriously. Do we need more space in a bathroom for girls growing into their teen years or a closet for little boys who wear tee-shirts and jeans every day but Sunday? J

What about in the family?

Perhaps you’re homeschooling but a part of the curriculum you thought you would love just isn’t working. Research other curriculums and change it. Mid-year, even.

Maybe the person handling the finances just can’t keep on top of the accounts. Change it up so it works.

How about discipline of the children? It’s a classic situation: what works for one child will, inevitably, not work for the next. Adjust as needed.

Work the plan as best you can…with much prayer and God’s guiding hand! J







Are you working your plan? How is it going? Any adjustments or tweaking needed?


Other posts in this series:




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Very good thoughts. Now if they can get that roof on they can work in the rain. Ha!!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt paper is up so that helps a little, Charlotte. Roof shingles should be coming soon. We're definitely anxious for that protection from the weather. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a great lesson here. God has so many creative ways to help us grow in patience and faith in Him. Your house is looking wonderful - I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it would take patience, Rosilind, but I thought I had learned it already. You know, by having children. :-) I can't wait either...which means I still need to work on the patience. Oy.

      Delete
  3. Hello Meghan! You’re blog is such a blessing and I enjoy reading it when I get the chance! You have such a sweet spirit. I was just wondering your opinion on head coverings? (I know this is completely unrelated to your post, but I'm curious what your opinion is! :)) A couple friends of mine go to a church where the women wear scarves on their heads (just during the service). I don’t wear any sort of head covering at my own church, although I will wear a scarf when I go to their church (out of respect, and I do understand why they do wear them, and where the Bible talks about it. Therefore, I feel that I truly understand it, and not just going along). I was just wondering your opinion, if you have the time to respond. I know you’re a busy mama! :) If anyone else would care to share their opinions, I’d love to here yours! Like I said, my opinion is that I understand both ways, and equally respect those who chose to wear one, and those who don’t. God’s Peace to all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Kelsie! :-) I'll have to think about the head coverings. Maybe I need to write a post? I never even thought about it until just a few years ago, and I've never worn one. But I certainly don't take issue with anyone who wears a head covering. I admire their courage to be different and not care what others think about their obedience to their convictions. Anyway, I'm not sure I'm prepared to answer much here, just because I don't know a lot about it. Great questions, though, and I'll think about it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply! I think that would be a lovely post to read, if you choose to write it! :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, Meghan! I enjoyed reading about framing your family. What wise advice! God is the Master Carpenter of our lives, and it is wonderful how He designs and orchestrates our circumstances. He is so faithful! Thank you for your faithfulness to Him! Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "God is the Master Carpenter of our lives." I LOVE that, Cheryl! So glad you commented. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm really enjoying this series Meghan! I know when I look around I can see where a few parts of our family framing need shored up and parts that are nice and strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tristan. It's a blessing to do a review now and then to see what adjustments you need to make. Blessings to you and your family!

      Delete
  6. Plan your work and work your plan. So much wisdom in that statement! I'm still learning how to put that into practice.
    Love the illustrations you draw from your housebuilding experience. Isn't it wonderful how God uses illustrations like this all through scripture in order for us to understand the meaning behind His words?
    The house is looking terrific! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a lifelong learning process, Linda. :-) The lessons are all around us if we choose to look for them. (Although some might accuse me of being too analytic. :-) )

      Delete
  7. Wow, I am impressed!! Your house is coming along fast!! Building a home isn't easy (we've been there done that) but don't be discouraged because in the end it is always worth the wait. Don't pray for patience pray for perseverance is what our pastor always says :-)

    Waiting to see more pictures of your house as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pray for perseverance. I like that better, Judith. :-) Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I had to stop by to see how your home is coming along. Wow - it is looking great!!! I'll bet you're really looking forward to moving in. I love the analogy you drew here..I really needed to read that today. We're working on some of these and the Lord is building patience in us, too.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)