Friday, November 8, 2013

The One Where We Sniffle and Sneeze and Cough {and Think about the Characteristics of Successful People} ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Happy Friday! 

Did you know it’s less than three weeks to Thanksgiving? Yummo! J

Do you have your menu planned? I adore this cute little printable to make the menu and grocery list fun.


It’s from Weswen Design, so if you like it, please pop over and leave a comment saying thank you!


In our homeschool this week…

Sniffles and sneezing and coughs, oh my! Isn’t homeschooling glorious, though? We don’t have to miss school because of a runny nose or the possibility of coughing up a lung, but we can cuddle up on the couch and go at a pace that is still conducive to learning.
They think they are sleeping. J


In my life this week…

I read a number of blogs written by literary agents, and this week The Steve Laube Agency posted a list of traits characteristic of successful and unsuccessful people. The agent attributed this list back to Mary Ellen Tribby of workingmomsonly.com.

Successful People
Have a sense of gratitude
Forgive others
Accept responsibility for their failures
Compliment
Read everyday
Keep a journal
Talk about ideas
Want others to succeed
Share information and data
Keep a “to-be” list
Exude joy
Keep a “to-do/project” list
Set goals and develop life plans
Embrace change
Give other people credit for their victories
Operate from a transformational perspective
Unsuccessful People
Have a sense of entitlement
Hold a grudge
Blame others for their failures
Criticize
Watch TV everyday
Say they keep a journal but don’t
Talk about people
Secretly hope others fail
Horde information and data
Don’t know what they want to be
Exude anger
Fly by their seat of their pants
Never set goals
Fear change
Take all the credit of their victories
Operate from a transactional perspective

I don’t know if Mrs. Tribby is a Christian, but don’t the characteristics of successful people sound an awful lot like the characteristics of Bible-believing Christians and homeschoolers?  They are definitely characteristics I want my children to live out.


I’m reading…

My children’s schoolwork. I so admire their creativity.

Love the doodle of the stick figure thinking. You know, since the exercise is called Think.

 

On the blog this week…



Building our house this week…

Framing is completely done, and windows and most doors were installed today. Electrical has begun, but our electrician still needs a few evenings and probably another Saturday to complete it. Most of this week, my husband has rushed home from work, changed his clothes, and headed over to clean up or help the electrician until dark. With that frantic pace, we just haven’t taken any more photos.


I’m praying for…

The continued freedom to homeschool without government interference and a spiritual revival in our country.

Prayers for a terrific weekend! J






How was your week?




Free shipping on orders of $30 or more through Saturday, November 9!
Order at Lilla Rose.






~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Good list there. I too hope and PRAY that homeschooling can continue without the governments interfering.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Carver, your post has inspired me to do a better job of getting my children to write. I personally love writing, but struggle with instilling that love in my children (I find the correcting process daunting). :( Holly's paragraph describing the ocean is spectacular -- you must be very proud. Thank you so much for sharing.

    BTW, I've thoroughly enjoyed your home building series and totally relate to the need to simply trust your husband. Sad how hard that can be at times. Again, you've inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Kari! I don't correct the writing too much at the younger ages. I want them to enjoy the creative process without dreading my marks. Eventually, yes, although Holly had learned the "rules" by now and doesn't need much correcting.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting list of character traits! I too join you in prayers for a revival in our country and the freedom to homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that list of opposites was fascinating. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. I love what your write. Thanks for it. And how sweet is that photo. Cool boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jedidja. Love your blog, too! :-)

      Delete
  5. You can so tell that your children like to read. Good job, teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Yes and Amen" to your prayers for this country.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)