Friday, December 6, 2013

Are You Anxious for Christmas Break? ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

Aah…December. One of the best months of the year. J


We’re in the path of that winter storm sweeping across the middle of the country, and I snapped this picture Thursday afternoon, just as the rain turned to sleet and snow.


Then, Friday morning, we awoke to this. Yippee!!!


In my life this week… Do you ever get in one of those spots where you {yes, you, the mother, the teacher J} just don’t want to do school? You’re tired of the routine, tired of review questions, tired of reading about Alexander the Great. But you hide your apathy as best you can and plod on for the children?

Yeah, I never have that problem either. J

But Christmas break is coming, and we are all chomping at the bit to get the break started. We started early enough in the summer that we could take off all of December…except we’re building a house. I know we’ll want some extra time in late winter/early spring for finishing up the house, moving in, and getting settled.


In our homeschool this week… Our usual I-love-school-give-me-more-homework attitudes have gone the way of the Thanksgiving turkey. Frozen.

But I pushed us through for five more days, despite the comments I almost never hear. “Do I have to do all these problems?” “Can I skip this part?” “Can’t we just start break today?”

Today is our Day 97. When I suggested that we do three days next week just so we can reach Day 100 before we quit, the 14yo moaned, “No! Are you serious?” 

Seriously, those children need to learn about the glory of big, round numbers. J

My heart and my prayers go out to you dear homeschooling mamas who have to deal with these attitudes every day. You are investing in your child, and you are doing a wonderful job. Love on those babies, and take your time.  {{{hugs}}}

School for the Bigs included the Lego Christmas village. No surprise there.




Thus, the only one who is loving school this week is the 4yo. In his enthusiasm for his new preschool workbook, he’s averaging forty pages a day. Yes…40! J



Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… Our church Christmas Ladies Meeting was Thursday night…just as the storm was coming in. The 14yo, the 12yo, and I attended, bringing cake mix Christmas cookies.


And the angels, probably one on either side of the car, brought us home. Praise the Lord for traveling safety!


On the blog this week…



Our house this week… It’s been two weeks since my last update on the house. Can you see a difference?


We have a fireplace…just in time for the big winter storm. J


Our front door still needs a lick of paint, but it’s in. 


We have siding. The empty space will be brick, possibly next week depending on weather.



I’m thrilled that the color of the garage doors matches the siding so well.


Have a wonderful weekend!







How was your week? Is Christmas break coming soon for your homeschool?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. How nice to see all the house progress. I know all of you are excited.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that a lot has happened in the past two weeks, Charlotte. It's probably going to slow down now, though, as we transition to our labor efforts while my husband still works his day job. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for you all to be moving in to this new house soon. It looks amazing and your hubby must feel a sense of accomplishment.

    I had to chuckle about your kids and schooling. Mine, unfortunately, are the ones who complain every single blessed day. Ugh! I also have that feeling I just don't want to do it anymore.

    Whenever those Winter breaks do come - we will be ready, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I wish I had a super-duper formula for you. I remind my children regularly what public school was like for me, and they know they don't want it. It still gets difficult sometimes, but then God's will isn't always easy. (There are plenty of other areas in my life where I can attest to that. :-) ) Definitely enjoy that break, and I'm praying you return to school refreshed and renewed and that your children embrace the blessing of homeschooling.

      I'm praying for you and your children, dear sister, and I'm sure there are other readers here who are praying as well.

      Delete
  3. I do not get to homeschool, unfortunately, because I am a.... public school teacher. LOL, but my son does attend our church school which is the next best thing to homeschooling and they have an incentive to be out an extra week by working ahead in their PACEs. He has already reached the goal so he has to go through next Thursday and then he is out until January 6th. Me, I have to go until December 20th and my kiddos and I are very ready for a break!

    God bless all of you homeschooling mamas! My hat is off to all of you that are able to stay home and educate your babies. It is, I promise, the best way to go if you are able to do it.

    Myra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our oldest reached school age and a decision had to be made, we thought long and hard about a church school, but there wasn't one close enough. Now, we adore homeschooling and wouldn't have it any other way.

      Thank you so much for your encouragement, Myra! It speaks volumes that you teach public school but your son attends the church school.

      Delete
  4. I'm slacking on the Lego Christmas village - I need to find that! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still plenty of time. Have a wonderful Christmas, Stef! :-)

      Delete
  5. Amazed at your house progress! We have 8 inches and counting of snow here in NW Arkansas this morning. We took the day off of school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have had school today, but the children worked extra hard this week to get Friday's work done early. We don't have eight inches yet, but it's still snowing! :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm ready for a break and the kids are too. We will take the week of Christmas off for sure but beyond that we are trying to do school as much as we can until Mason has another surgery. Not sure when that will be scheduled, could be next Friday, could be later. Whenever it is we will take time off.

    Love the Lego village!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at all that you handle, Tristan. What a blessing homeschooling must be, though, to have the flexibility to schedule around the surgeries. Many blessings to you, and many prayers for Mason and your family!

      Delete
  7. That Lego village looks amazing, my bigger kids would love that too! This was our last week as well because we will hopefully have a baby this week! Merry Christmas to you!
    (I'm hopping over from A Mama's Story Homeschool Link-up)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A baby? The best gift of all! We celebrate two birthdays right around Christmas, and we love it! Many blessings to you, and have a wonderful Christmas, Casey! :-)

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)