Monday, January 27, 2014

Proud Member of the Hand-Me-Down Club ~ My Daughter’s Modest Monday

I pull a couple of recycled diaper boxes down from the closet shelf. My scribble on the side tells me there should be girls clothes inside, sizes seven and eight. I smile at the waiting 7yo, hoping my eyes are sparkling with anticipation. "Let's see what we have in here for you.”

I place them on the desk in the girls room and tear off the tape. As I peer inside, memories flood me. Cute and meaningful clothes wait patiently for another chance at usefulness.

I reach in for a bright pink, turtleneck dress that had been a favorite of the older two girls. Grasping it by the shoulders, I peek over the lid flap. “Guess what I found?”

I slowly pull the dress out, and unbridled enthusiasm is unleashed. “Pink!” she exults.

“Your sisters used to love this dress,” I tell the 8yo as she hugs it to her front.

She dashes from the room to find the 12yo. “He he! Look what I get to wear!”

“What?” The 12yo affects a look of disappointment. “I wish I could still wear that dress. It was so comfortable. And pink!”

And so goes another rite of passage. Induction into The Hand-Me-Down Club is complete, and the connection between sisters grows in strength as clothes ~ and memories ~ are shared, loved, and blessed with more life.

The 8yo and I wear matching smiles as she skips back to the bedroom to try on her new dress. 





What the 8yo wore ~

Pink coat ~ hand-me-down
Pink turtleneck dress ~ hand-me-down originally purchased at garage sale
White tights ~ hand-me-down originally purchased at Target
Black shoes ~ hand-me-down but I can’t remember where I bought them originally
Bling-y barrette ~ shared by all girls but I can’t remember where I bought it








How do you get your children to accept hand-me-downs?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop Missional Women


Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. What an adorable way to pass on clothing! In a family of six (the first five being girls) someone was always wearing hand me downs, but it wasn't me as I was the oldest child. However, I do remember an outfit that all of us wore in particular. It was a navy blue trimmed in red sailor suit with a pleated skirt that my cousin had bought for me when I started first grade. Every girl after that wore it for first grade pictures and my mother even attempted to get my brother to wear the top with a pair of pants for his first grade picture. (I think he managed to get out of it or he destroyed all the evidence! Lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been quite a sailor suit! I can just picture a little boy in the girls dress top. Very funny!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely pink dress!

    We grew up wearing hand-me-downs. My family was in a 5 family Bible study and I was #7 in the lineup of the 10 of us kids so I wore ALOT of hand-me-downs. Mama made it fun by bringing home a BIG box of clothes and letting my sister and I dig through them. We quickly learned it was much more fun to go through a whole box than to go to the store and only be able to get one skirt or one shirt. It made me fall in love with hand-me-downs.

    I do the same with my daughter now. Granted she is only 2 but I love showing her pictures of her older cousins wearing the outfits that she is wearing now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an excellent point, Amy! You're right -- several outfits at once is much more fun than sorting through a store and bringing home only one. Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I'm 15, and the majority of my clothes have been hand-me-downs from older friends. I still get hand-me-downs on occasion. I love giving my 7yr sister hand-me-downs! :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your attitude has a lot to do with your sister's acceptance and enthusiasm. Great job, Moriah! :-)

      Delete
  4. Having eleven children means new clothes are a rarity, so my kids love hand-me-downs. 95% of our clothing comes from the church clothing closet, friends, or family. God provides! I'm popping over from A Mama's Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleven children? Good for you!!! Thanks for sharing your testimony, and many blessings to you! :-)

      Delete
  5. I can just imagine this dialogue - the excitement and the sadness, as exactly the same thing happens in our house!! =) I wore mostly hand-me-downs when I was little, even though I was the eldest girl. Now I have 6 girls and a boy, and just last week I put a dress on the 2 month old that I had bought (new!) for our eldest (almost 11). It's been well used over the years. All our girls are excited to open their "new" clothes as the seasons change. Because we had so many girls in a row, we bought Rubbermaid plastic totes that have been great keeping all the clothes protected over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I had started storing in the plastic tubs all those years ago! My youngest is just now three, so we still have a lot of hand-me-downs to go through. I've thought of re-organizing and getting rid of those diaper boxes that are falling apart. Thank you for that kick-in-the-seat to get going with that plan! :-)

      Delete
  6. So cute and I LOVE PINK!!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a first/second grade teacher, and sometimes kids will come in and say they have new clothes "but they're not really new". I always make an even bigger deal of those, something along the lines of "and that didn't even cost your parents anything?" Plus they know I shop at the thrift store. Kids pick up on that kind of stuff, so it doesn't take long before everybody in my class gets excited about great hand-me-downs/second-hand finds. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like a wonderful teacher! Kids definitely pick up on who wear what clothes. Unfortunately, many of us know that first hand. Wish I had had a teacher like you in first grade. :-) Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Great post, Meghan, that brought back memories of doing the same thing with my girls. They loved the day we had a 'Try On Party' when we got the new season's clothes down from the attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great name for it, Judith! :-)

      Delete
    2. I agree! I love that name! I look forward to some future "Try on Parties" at our house too! Thank you for the idea Judith!

      Delete
  9. This is how we do clothes too at our house! It's so fun to run upstairs and go shopping in my attic for adorable clothes for my kids. They are always dressed well because God provides! And the families at church who gave them to us have so much joy in seeing their clothes reused on my children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We totally do hand-me downs and I've often wondered how a family survives without hand me downs. But I did not think about them like that with such a sweet heart for the family and the children. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just came across your site today, going to take a look around! I love the pink dress. I've been saving my daughter's clothes for a long time and finally was able to have another child, but got a boy LOL! So, I sold some of the clothes but just couldn't let go of the rest, hoping for a baby girl one day I guess. I am also saving my son's clothes now and that, along with others giving us their hand-me-down's, we are set!

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)