Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Seven Ways to Repurpose Christmas Cards

I adore receiving Christmas cards, not just because of the pretty pictures but also because of the time and effort put into labeling and delivering.

As we take down our Christmas decorations every year, I agonize over the beautiful cards. For years, I kept the best of them, but it wasn’t long until I had a shoebox full.

I would debate every year over tossing them in the trash, but how could I possibly throw away such beauty and thoughtfulness? {Do I dare to mention the frugal possibilities here as well? J}


So, before you fill the garbage bags and give your trash man more work, consider these seven possibilities for repurposing Christmas cards.

Cut off the front for these uses ~

Frame it and turn it into Christmas d├ęcor. Most cards are 4x6 or 5x7. Buy a frame at the thrift store, and paint it or hot glue decorations to it if it needs a touch-up. I did this years ago when we were first married, just because we received a card that was so beautiful I couldn’t stand to put it away.

Use the back/inside cover for grocery lists or scrap paper. Then you have a little bit of Christmas throughout the winter months.

Use it as a postcard next Christmas. Less postage! J

Cut out the best embellishments and use as gift tags next year.

Let your children or grandchildren cut out the best embellishments and make pictures, banners, collages, or posters.

Cut out the best embellishments and glue onto paper sacks to make your own gift bags.

Finally, don’t forget to save the inside, where the words and the signature are, in your prayer journal. Let the words comfort and cheer you {yes, even in August J} and pray for the senders throughout the year.

My Christmas cards will receive a second life this year, and I’ll be able to savor the beauty of the card and the season a tad bit longer.







In what other ways can we repurpose Christmas cards?




~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop Missional Women


Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. We decorated our tree with our Christmas cards one year and it was actually pretty neat. We were in the middle of wedding plans for one of our daughters and using the last year's Christmas cards saved time and money and helped us remember friends who are special. Thanks for these suggestions! P.S. I made the orange-cranberry jello salad you suggested and it was a big hit with the fam. My pregnant daughter, who is suffering from morning sickness, said it really hit the spot for her! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds beautiful, Deb, and definitely fast since you had other ginormous responsibilities at the time. :-) Thank you so much for letting me know about the cranberry jello salad. I'm glad somebody likes it other than us! :-)

      Delete
  2. I saw your post at "A Little R & R" and have to come visit since I just ran a similar post! It looks like there's some overlap, but you have a couple ideas I didn't think of and vice-versa. Come visit me at True Hope and a Future - http://www.lisalewiskoster.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post, Lisa! You included some great pictures of your uses. Thanks for letting me know. :-)

      Delete
  3. I too hate to throw the cards away. I pack them up with all my decorations and then when I unpack everything the next year I look at them again. I think about the past year etc. And then I repurpose them! :) I usually use them as gift tags, though I love the gift bag idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stretch them out another year...good idea, Jody! Thank you for the suggestion. Happy New Year! :-)

      Delete
  4. Love your great ideas for re-purposing cards. I have used mine as gift tags some years and turned others into new cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! My mom has done this, too. I need to do something with my cards next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just too pretty to toss, Rosilind. And then my frugal side takes over.... :-)

      Delete
  6. One of my favorite family home videos is my first Christmas, I was about 10 months old and my dad filmed Mama cutting up the Christmas cards. She saved the fronts to make gift tags for the next year and the part with the note went into the ornament box to read as she unpackaged the ornaments the next year. - We all do this now! I love to reuse cards as tags and we reuse the same gift bags and paper each year! We have some scraps of wrapping paper that are about ten years old now with 10 years of To: and From: tags attached. -- I love knowing other families are just as frugal and sentimental! -- Praying you all survived and enjoyed our Indiana snow this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What special memories you have! I love that you've saved scraps of wrapping paper as well...and the bits and scraps of memories wrapped up, too. We're loving the snow. More tonight! Blessings to you! :-)

      Delete
  7. My dad had the idea of keeping all of our cards at the table in a stack. Every evening before dinner, we take the top card off the stack and specifically pray for the people who sent us that card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that prayer idea, Felicity! We could all use more prayer, couldn't we? :-)

      Delete
  8. These are good ideas! I hadn't heard the post card one before. I am just beginning Project Life & am planning to include cards from throughout the year in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw an idea on Pinterest where they put them all together with binder clips and kept them out for others to look at the next year. We have almost stopped getting Christmas cards because I quit sending them. Postage is just too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found our number of cards received is down, probably due to the postage. But with what's left, I love the binder idea. A sort of easy memory book. Thanks, Paula! :-)

      Delete
  10. I love these ideas, Meghan! I am featuring you as one of my favorites in this week's Hearts for Home Blog Hop! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey found you on a mamasstory.. love the idea about saving the inside for prayer journal. I usually use old cards and gift wrap or bags for my scrapbook. I love scrapbooking but domt have extra cash to buy supplies so this saves me money and I get to keep the cards and memories that go with

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)