Friday, February 14, 2014

One True-to-Life, Unsanitized Homeschool Day ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

I’m shaking things up a bit for this week’s post. I’m going to leap outside my comfort zone and record a day in our homeschool as it really and truly happens, without sanitizing it first for you. J

I actually recorded all of this on a Tuesday in January, our second day back to school after a five-week break over Christmas. Yes, it’s taken me this long to decide to post it. J

8:00a.m. ~       Rise and dress. {Please know I was up until 1:45a.m. the night before.}
Say goodbye to the husband who is stopping by the new house to check on the bricklayers before heading to a long day at work.
Quiet Bible reading and prayer. Yippee! J
Finish blog link-ups and skim post prepared for the next day.

8:45a.m. ~       10yo rises, dresses, comes out to couch for his Bible time
                        My first cup of coffee. J

8:55a.m. ~       5yo, then 8yo, rise and come to lay on the couch to finish waking up.

9:10a.m. ~       10yo: “How could Pharaoh go through frogs, lice, flies, the Nile turning to blood, and still not let the people go? Now that is hard-hearted. I would have let them go at the very beginning.” Brief discussion about his Bible reading.

9:15a.m. ~       As I head to the bathroom to wipe the 5yo’s bottom {we’re working on that J}, I hear the 14yo and the 12yo rustling in their bedroom. The 12yo has read her Bible and is dressed. The 14yo is still in bed, about to read her Bible.
                        The 12yo and 10yo begin their school. The 5yo sits with them with his preschool workbook, asking them in turn to read him the directions. The 3yo sneaks out and begins looking at coloring books. I say good morning and get a quick cuddle.


9:30a.m. ~       The 12yo tries to wiggle out of a one-page report in Science because she just did a lapbook on comets, meteors, and asteroids. No luck, sister! This assignment is about the teams of astronauts necessary for a trip to the moon. As we discuss it, slight enthusiasm creeps in.

9:35a.m. ~       I tackle a few morning chores while the 8yo and 5yo empty the dishwasher and the 3yo pesters for a movie. My answer is no.


9:55a.m. ~       The 10yo begins piano practice while the 14yo sets the table for breakfast and crabs at the 10yo for playing the same song over and over and over. “Can he move on?” she pleads to me.

10:20a.m. ~     Delayed by a diaper and clothes change for the 3yo, finally breakfast!

10:40a.m. ~     I check yesterday’s spelling while the 8yo remains at the table, agonizing over finishing her oatmeal. I finally tell her she can be done. The 14yo tells the 8yo, “She only says that because she knows you’ll sit there until you’re twenty, not eating your oatmeal.”

10:50a.m. ~     I skim a few blogs and leave comments while the 8yo and 5yo get dressed and make their beds. School continues for the Bigs.

11:15a.m. ~     Quiz the 12yo on states and capitals. Fix the 8yo’s hair in preparation for her school.

11:44a.m. ~     I’m behind. Sigh. I remind myself that this is only our second day back after a break. So, I cross out unnecessary math problems for the 10yo. I tell the 8yo to get her school books out. As the 12yo begins piano practice, I admonish the 14yo to stop singing “me, me, me, me” over the 12yo playing “Carol of the Bells.” The 10yo joins in. The 12yo, knowing it is an attempt to get her to chase them, stops playing and running all over the house commences. I smile and call it recess. On the way to take a picture, I step on a Lincoln Log.




11:50a.m. ~     I rein them back in and begin spelling and math with the 8yo. The time crunch is too pressing at this point, and the recording of our day ends.


 On the blog this week…



One last announcement…

I’m taking a week break from blogging. A fantastic writing opportunity has become available, and I need to concentrate all my writing efforts on that for at least next week. I’ll still be popping in and out of Facebook and will respond to any comments left here. I'll be back on Monday, February 24.

Have a fabulous weekend and week next week! J




How was your week?





~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Missional Women


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you shared your day and linked up! Thank you! I love that we can be flexible when we do have those late nights. And yes, first days back after a break always feel so behind to me. I set up grand plans and the kids have the audacity to not read them and comply. (snicker) Okay, sometimes I don't comply either....

    Inquiring minds want to know about the writing opportunity! Praying you have a productive week writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snickering with you, Tristan. :-) We're doing a bit better now, but it seems like time just gets away from us, and we're all always going to bed later than we should. There is so much to do in a day, including the laughing and the fun and the giggles, that there just isn't enough time together. Thanks again for the link-up, and thanks for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. I always love a real glimpse into someone else's homeschool day - thanks for sharing yours! You will be missed next week ... good luck with the writing opportunity, sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Tina. I'm anxious to see what God will do with this opportunity, but it could be a while before anything comes of it. Have a wonderful week! :-)

      Delete
  3. This is precious, and I loved reading about your morning!!!
    Our week was good. It flew by! The most fun was the interesting science experiments.
    Blessings on your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science experiments scare me, so I love reading about others who manage to pull them off. :-) Thank you, Christa, and many blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. I love all the pictures. I especially love the one of the 5 and 8 year olds doing dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorites as well, Rachel. :-)

      Delete
  5. Great, real day. Thanks for sharing. You have a real knack for the juggling, mom. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing your day and have fun with your writing opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)