Friday, February 7, 2014

Igloo Building in the Winter of 2014’s Snowmageddon ~ Homeschool Week Wrap-Up

It seems as if life has been on fast forward since we started homeschooling. And yet, without that little whisper of God that spoke straight to my soul, we may not have had this many children in the first place, let alone homeschooled them all. Yesterday, I blogged at Wholehearted Home about my calling to be at home. 


To savor those moments, sometimes you just have to rush through school and go climb a pile of fresh snow. J

The snowstorm {or Snowmaggedon, as some call it} hit us Tuesday afternoon, allowing the husband to come home from work early, and continued on through the night, which canceled the husband’s work day on Wednesday. YiPpEe!!

We hurried through school so that everyone could get outside to play in the snow before the single-digit temperatures returned.

After Daddy shoveled, the Littles took turns in the toddler sled speeding down the driveway while a couple of Bigs kept a close eye on the street.





But few love playing in the snow as much as the husband. I’m a little surprised he hasn’t suggested a vacation to Alaska for the Iditarod. {Forget I said that. He doesn’t need any ideas. I’m all for Alaska, but I’d like to see it from a cruise ship or a train, not a dog sled.}

His brain wave this time was an igloo.


He started with walls of snow. Then he retrieved a couple of large pieces of flexible cardboard from the garage, arched them across the top, and buried those in snow.

It’s so tall inside that the 3yo can stand upright and the 14yo can sit without hunching over. It’s sturdy enough it will withstand snowball attacks. The children can also lean against the walls without caving them in.


Thursday afternoon it was a princess castle, under attack by an ogre throwing shovelfuls of snow.

How cool is that?!


On the blog this week…



Many blessings this weekend! J








How was your week?



Aww... Search "heart" for the Valentine's sale at Lilla Rose
Friday and Saturday only.


~~~~~
Receive new posts from this blog by e-mail.
Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Or follow this blog with Google Friend Connect on the sidebar.
~~~~~


Photobucket Growing Home Wise-Woman-Builds Our Simple Country Life http://christianmommyblogger.com MomsTheWord Photobucket 1-Minute Bible Love Notes Courtship Connection AProverbs31Wife.com Photobucket Hearts for Home Blog Hop Missional Women


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I lived in Alaska for about 8 years and I miss it a lot! We don't get much snow here in the Seattle area but it is snowing some light flurries as I type! :-) Enjoy it and send us some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds heavenly, Bev -- living in Alaska and then Seattle. We vacationed along the coast there in the Pacific Northwest a few years ago and LOVED it! Enjoy your flurries. :-)

      Delete
  2. Too much snow for me. WOW!!!! Looks like you all had fun.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably getting tired of my posts about snow, Charlotte. I'm sorry, and I promise that next week's planned posts don't have anything to do with snow. :-) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I loved your guest post! I graduated from law school in May and about halfway through started having similar feelings. God continued to open doors and make it clear that law school was where I should be - at that time...and lead me to meet my amazing husband! We would love for the Lord to bless us with a large family and are now planning to homeschool. No one I went to law school with really understands the choices I've made, or how I can work so hard for a degree and then walk away. But in my mind, I'm choosing a much greater calling. God taught me so much through those 3 years and I will never regret them, I'm just choosing to use what I learned in a little different way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a greater calling, Julianne, although, like you, I don't think those years were wasted. They shaped me and changed me for the better, not to mention the knowledge and experiences acquired. I've wondered how life would be different if I hadn't gone to law school, but there's really no point in that line of thinking. What's done is done, and the best we can do is move forward in God's will. Congratulations on your graduation, and many blessings to you in whatever the Lord brings your way! :-)

      Delete
  4. So much fun! I love the igloo idea! I think your hubby and I have similar vacation ideas! My hubby loves the sunny warm places, where I am one who would enjoy somewhere much cooler! This red-head does not do well in the heat!

    I have had many conversations with those who argue that homeschooling and being a homemaker is not a anyway for an educated woman to spend her time. I argue that a woman who is happy to stay at home and care for and educate her children is fulfilling a much higher calling than a fancy job title or big paycheck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of it as investing in the future, both mine and my children's. Money comes and goes, and fancy job titles exist to feed the ego. But relationships last forever. Blessings to you, Amber! :-)

      Delete
  5. I loved your story! I, too, pursued and attained a degree that I "waste." :-) God made it abundantly clear --again and again-- that He had plans for me in a bigger arena than a government office. (My background is in politics.) I am grateful every day that he He called me to be a wife and mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably still quite involved in the politics of your home, though, using all of your negotiation and mediation skills. :-) I love that you call your home a bigger arena. What's that saying? "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." Maybe you're raising a future president. Blessings to you!

      Delete

I so much appreciate your time and effort in leaving a comment, and I try to respond to as many as time permits. :-)